Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Original 65 deluxe reverb in need of some tlc. Need some input

Discussion in 'DIY Amp Forum' started by Stratomaster314, May 12, 2018.

1. Stratomaster314

Stratomaster314 Strat-Talk Member

Oct 9, 2012
    Louisiana
    The guy I bought it from said it belonged to his dad who was a musician in the local area. He obviously had no interest in the amp or even what kind it was. Apparently he was really hard up for the cash because he’s the one who said “$100 bucks and it’s yours, I have no use for it and I really need the money”. I inspected it thoroughly and the only thing that seems to have been changed out since 65 was the speaker. Since I bought it, the only thing I’ve done is replace the reverb tank because the original one was broken and I installed a three prong power chord.

Robins likes this.
  2. Percy

Percy Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

I will give you ten times what you paid and i will pay for shipping!!!:thumb:

3. Stratomaster314

Oct 9, 2012
    Louisiana
    Haha man I’m sorry but I don’t think I’ll ever let it go.

Percy likes this.
  4. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Senior Stratmaster

Feb 27, 2018
    North Central NC
    What a great old amp, truly all-tube. Anything new with it?

5. Stratomaster314

Oct 9, 2012
    Louisiana
    No nothing new with it. I’m just going to slowly go through it changing out one old part at a time as needed.

6. sumran

sumran Fan of Leo

Mar 7, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    All of the transformers have date codes. That would be a good thing to check. One of the important things to know about the amp is if it has original transformers. I would guess it does.

7. Stratomaster314

Oct 9, 2012
    Louisiana
    Yeah I checked all of the transformers. Some are the 12th week of 65, and the others are the 13th week of 65. All capacitors are original to the amp which I’m sure means they will need to be replaced, right?

8. Triple Jim

Feb 27, 2018
    North Central NC
    Well, at least the old paper ones.

9. RJ Squirrel

RJ Squirrel Strat-Talker

Jan 28, 2018
    Frostbite Falls
    I would replace all of the electrolytic capacitors; filter caps, cathode bypass caps, and the negative bias supply cap. I would also upgrade the voltage rating of the caps.

westonmitch and Triple Jim like this.
  10. Stratomaster314

Oct 9, 2012
    Louisiana
    What effect would upgrading the voltage rating of the caps have?

11. Sarnodude

Sarnodude Senior Stratmaster

Sep 26, 2015
    Mukilteo
    I think Antique Electronic Supply still has replacement Fender-style grill cloth.

12. Sarnodude

Sarnodude Senior Stratmaster

Sep 26, 2015
    Mukilteo
    The short answer is improved reliability. The line voltage that the power companies put out is higher than it was in '65.

westonmitch and RJ Squirrel like this.
  13. RJ Squirrel

RJ Squirrel Strat-Talker

Jan 28, 2018
    Frostbite Falls
    As Sarnodude said, for reliability. The original voltage rating of 450 volts doesn't leave much of a safety margin and does not provide any margin to provide for de-rating for heat considerations. Schematic voltage shows 420 volts at the first DC voltage node. This was when line voltages were in the 115 to 117 volt range. Line voltage at my house runs between 120 to 125 volts.

14. adiabatic

adiabatic Senior Stratmaster

Jul 2, 2013
    Western Canada
    If YouTube has taught me anything... also remove the death cap as part of the 3-prong conversion.

RJ Squirrel likes this.
  15. RJ Squirrel

RJ Squirrel Strat-Talker

Jan 28, 2018
    Frostbite Falls
    The death cap should be removed and a three prong plug added. Also, while doing this, the fuse should be moved from the neutral side and placed before the on/off switch on the hot (black) wire.

westonmitch, adiabatic and Triple Jim like this.
  16. Stratomaster314

Oct 9, 2012
    Louisiana
    Removing the death cap and adding a three prong plug was the FIRST thing I did after being warned by my uncle. Didn’t think about moving the fuse before the on/off switch, though. Thanks

17. Triple Jim

Feb 27, 2018
    North Central NC
    You haven't lived until you grabbed your guitar neck and it lit your hand up good.

18. Fatmaninthebath

Fatmaninthebath Strat-Talker

Sep 27, 2014
    Southern IL
    I would not change that grill cloth. I would pull the grill,tuck the cloth back on the bottom, staple it and then dowel the holes in the baffle and reinstall the screws from the back. The reissue grill cloth has bigger cells and never looks right. I would much rather have an amp with some worn original grill cloth than replacement cloth