Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Other guitar sucks...

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by LunarSlingShot, Sep 16, 2018.

1. LunarSlingShot

LunarSlingShot Strat-Talker

May 8, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Backstory:

I’m in a cover band with a guy (a friend) who is our keyboard player, but he also plays 2nd guitar on the songs that don’t have keys.

His keyboard rig sounds really good, however his guitar rig is really lacking. I’m not trying to be a bigot but his guitar is not cutting it sound wise. He plays an OLD les Paul copy/thrift store guitar.

I think it sounds bad more because the electronics/pots/switch are old and cheap. His 3 selecter only selects one pickup and its scratchy and gross. I’ve attempted to swap out his switch before but it’s not like any switch I’ve ever seen (not like a typical les Paul switch and one of those won’t fit in the cavity).

Clean sounds.....ok? Passable. Dirty just sounds awful, almost like a blown speaker.

I wouldn’t care but he’s for whatever reason oblivious that his stuff sounds not bad, but BROKEN. It makes our band sound bad.

What would you do? I feel I need to convince him to take it to a real tech or I even considered donating a Squier strat to him because that would sound 100x better than his rig.

2. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Senior Stratmaster

May 2, 2016
    Cranston, Rhode Island

3. thomquietwolf

thomquietwolf Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 2, 2010
    Peardale CA
    What about making that part of the band's sound
    In
    A positive way?
    I've always thought that musicians can twist suckiness in a positive unique way...

nickmsmith and Nate D like this.

4. abnormaltoy

abnormaltoy BushBaby Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 28, 2013
    Tucson
    Why not suggest that he find a place to put keys in songs with no keys? That's how I learned to play...by trying to find a place between Duane and Dickey or along with Buck Dharma where I could play without stepping on their toes. If a flute or an organ can fit in rock...keys can find a place to help a song out.

Triple Jim and Nate D like this.

5. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Don't count on it being the guitar that has the problem. :D

Don't count on him being receptive to constructive criticism. :D :D

6. Paperback Rocker

Paperback Rocker Nitro-mancer Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 18, 2014
    Lewisville, TX
    Honesty is the best policy.

Then duck and cover.

DickBanks, circles and abnormaltoy like this.

7. strat_strummer

strat_strummer Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 17, 2017
    Lost
    Sometimes constructive criticism is the best possible solution and that's what I would do if it were me and also praise him heavily on his keyboard playing.

circles and abnormaltoy like this.

8. Percy

Percy Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Give it the common Les Paul break at the head stock routine when he is not looking:thumb:

9. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 24, 2017
    Newnan ,Ga.
    Hand him the Squier next time y'all play :D:D:D ,then smile real big :whistling::whistling:

abnormaltoy likes this.

10. LunarSlingShot

May 8, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Thought about doing this and after him playing it really sell that it is HIS sound...

abnormaltoy likes this.

11. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

May 21, 2010
    Sheffield, UK
    Let him use the Squier and hope that it really was the guitar, not the player.

12. abnormaltoy

Apr 28, 2013
    Tucson

:(

circles likes this.

13. mw13068

mw13068 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 29, 2009
    Ithaca, NY
    Mind my own business. His guitar is not going to make or break your band. If he's happy, let him be happy.

abnormaltoy likes this.

14. Paperback Rocker

Paperback Rocker Nitro-mancer Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 18, 2014
    Lewisville, TX
    You trolling?

abnormaltoy likes this.

15. mw13068

Jul 29, 2009
    Ithaca, NY
    No, that is honestly what I would do. Imagine if another band member started "taking an interest" in your gear/sound without being asked. It likely wouldn't go well.

I work with about 6 different bands (on and off) in my area. I concentrate on showing up on time (a little early), ready to do my part, and above all else, let the other players be themselves. Never give someone a reason to roll their eyes (or worse) when they see you walk in the door.

abnormaltoy likes this.

16. abnormaltoy

Apr 28, 2013
    Tucson

But, personal tastes aside...band sound can break a band. I've never heard anyone say "You should hear this band...their guitar players sucks". :)

17. mw13068

Jul 29, 2009
    Ithaca, NY
    A fair point. But all we have is anecdotal evidence.

On a related note, years ago I was in a band with a sax player. The guy was a jazz noodler, and we were trying to play Rock covers. He was filling every space in the music with noodles. My strategy was to start recording the rehearsals, and letting eveyone listen to the results. The various issues (including some of my own) were helped immensely by doing this. Years later, and I still record and listen to all my practices (at least in the early stages of learning sets of songs).

So, there's another option.

stratman323, 2-Finger and abnormaltoy like this.

18. abnormaltoy

Apr 28, 2013
    Tucson
    There's always another way to skin a cat.

19. LunarSlingShot

May 8, 2018
    Oklahoma

It’s not like I’m hounding on the guy for his playing. His guitar literally sounds like his speaker is blown. In a bad way, not in a sick “first distortion” way

20. mw13068

Jul 29, 2009
    Ithaca, NY
    How do other band members feel about it?