Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Otis Rush--which albums should I buy next?

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by dante1963, Oct 6, 2017.

1. dante1963

dante1963 Strat-Talker

Apr 28, 2016
    St. Louis
    Okay, I'm looking for some recommendations.

I just realized that, for a guy who loves the blues as much as I do, I have some pretty glaring holes in my album list. I decided I should turn to you folks to help me correct this terrible failing on my part.

Let's start with Otis Rush. I listened to my entire Otis Rush collection today. All two albums of it. So...yeah, clearly missing some important stuff. :)

The two I have are Mourning In The Morning and West Coast Blues. Both awesome.

So I leave it to you all. Not counting those two, if I were to buy up to five more Otis Rush records, what should they be?

I'll buy the top five suggestions.

(If this works out, next month I'll pick another bluesman I'm light on.) :)

What do you love, and why?

Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts.

2. railroadman

railroadman Strat-O-Master

Feb 24, 2012
    N.J.
    Ain't Enough Comin' In.

If the title track don't get ya (and it will), then "As the Years Go Passing By" surely will.

hornpiper, dante1963 and stratman323 like this.

3. thomquietwolf

thomquietwolf Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 2, 2010
    Peardale CA
    Rory Gallagher: I Irish tour 1974
    Eric Clapton: The Blues
    Mike Bloomfield: Live at Bill Graham's Fillmore West
    Buddy Guy: Most anything before 1995

4. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.
    If you can track down the stuff he did live in Berlin that's my fave.

hornpiper and dante1963 like this.

5. hornpiper

hornpiper Senior Stratmaster

Apr 23, 2014
    Portland, OR
    If I had to pick a favorite Otis Rush album for me personally: "Right Place, Wrong Time". If you want to hear some early Rush (mid-late '50's era) on a '50's Strat get "The Cobra Years" compilation. Another personal favorite of mine is an old 60's classic compilation album, of various Chicago Blues artists called "Chicago: The Blues Today". Rush, gets about 4 or so tracks on this album, and I love the sound, and tone of Rush's guitar on this album, it's obviously a Strat, probably through a tweed Bassman, I'm guessing. Really Otis Rush sounded good on any guitar he was playing in my opinion. He mainly played Strats and 335 style Gibson and Epiphone guitars, and flip-flopped back and forth throughout his career. He's in his 80's and still alive, but sadly a stroke a few years ago rendered him unable to perform and play guitar anymore.

6. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    I agree with "Right Place, Wrong Time"

& Ain't Enough Coming In "

As for the live albums, I enjoyed Live in Japan 1986, but I preferred Tops (1988), if you can find it. It has the best version of B.B.'s Gamblers Blues I have ever heard, but I can't find this version on YouTube. I seem to recall that I struggled to find this album on CD, but it was worth the search.

Enjoy - Otis was truly magnificent on vocals & guitar & is possibly the most under-rated of all the great blues men.

gwjensen, hornpiper and dante1963 like this.

7. stratman323

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Also from Right Place, Wrong Time

8. conehead

conehead Strat-Talker

Apr 12, 2017
    way out there
    Start with the 1950s Cobra Records stuff, it's surreal. Some amazing Strat cameos by Ike Turner on the earliest sessions. It has been re-packaged in a number of formats.

"Live In Concert" (Japan 1975) is a guitar-heavy recording with Otis backed by a trio. Classic stuff.

"Live at the Wise Fool's Pub" is a very different live recording, small venue and Otis is backed by a band with two saxes. That's a favorite of mine.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2017

9. dante1963

dante1963 Strat-Talker

Apr 28, 2016
    St. Louis
    Thank you everyone for the suggestions so far. These are great! I'll compile the list of suggestions this weekend and post it.

10. nungesser

nungesser I ain't askin' for much..Lord take me downtown... Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 28, 2014
    Ireland
    another vote for "Right Place, Wrong Time"
    cool to hear Otis mentioned he often flies under the radar

dante1963 likes this.

11. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.
    That's my favorite version by far, and I also rather like Mr. Redding.

gwjensen likes this.

12. Kerry Brown

Kerry Brown Strat-Talker

Mar 5, 2014
    BC, Canada
    Never heard Sit Down Baby before. Going to put it on my set list. Thanks!

13. stratman323

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    I do wonder if Otis Rush's career might have been very different if he had been promoted as a soul singer rather than a blues singer. There are two Sam Cooke songs on Ain't Enough Coming In & I reckon he nails them. And nailing a Sam Cooke song ain't easy.

Mr. Lumbergh and dante1963 like this.

14. dante1963

dante1963 Strat-Talker

Apr 28, 2016
    St. Louis
    Loads of great suggestions here! You guys totally rock!

As I read it, here appear to be the top choices:

1. Right Place, Wrong Time
    2. Ain't Enough Coming In
    3. Tops
    4. The Essential Otis Rush--The Classic Cobra Years (Is that the one you were talking about Hornpiper?)
    5. Live at the Wise Fools Pub Chicago

With others mentioned:

Live In Japan (which, I unfortunately, can't seem to find on Itunes)
    The Chicago Blues Today

Have I missed anything?

Ain't Enough Coming In seems like an essential choice, so, not being able to find it on Itunes, I tracked down a copy on Amazon and ordered it. I'll download the other four from Itunes tomorrow, unless enough folks thinks there is something wrong with that list.

Again, thanks again for sharing your expertise!

Last edited: Oct 8, 2017
    Mr. Lumbergh likes this.

15. stratman323

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Ain't Enough Coming In is particularly interesting as it's his most recent album, recorded in '93/'94 using what seems to be Buddy Guy's band at that time. Which is fitting since Otis gave Buddy his first break back in the 50s. To the best of my knowledge he hasn't recorded anything since, so it's his final recording - good job it's a great album. He toured to support the CD with a different band, & he was excellent.

And it's also the first time he had played a Strat for a while. I seem to recall that someone at Fender made the white lefty Strat for him. Before that he was most associated with a 335 type.

Have you managed to find Tops?

dante1963 likes this.

16. dante1963

dante1963 Strat-Talker

Apr 28, 2016
    St. Louis
    I found Tops on Itunes and will be downloading it (and the others on the list) this evening. I'm looking forward to digging into them all.

17. gwjensen

gwjensen Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Lost In The Blues has the best version of Little Red Rooster ever recorded, IMO, and his tone throughout the whole album is killer even if the material doesn't quite match his best work. Still, worth the price of admission just for Rooster and Hold That Train.

18. conehead

conehead Strat-Talker

Apr 12, 2017
    way out there
    The Otis tracks on this compilation are well worth the price of admission:
    https://itunes.apple.com/ca/album/chicago-the-blues-today-vol-2/id712001226

If you're going to limit yourself to itunes, this would be the best bang-for-buck as far as the early Cobra releases go:
    https://itunes.apple.com/ca/album/all-your-love-i-miss-lovin/id958884733

I know you already have Mourning In The Morning, but for anyone else who might be interested, it isn't characteristic Otis material, but it's a great record. Otis backed by the Muscle Shoals house band with Duane Allman on rhythm guitar:
    https://itunes.apple.com/ca/album/mourning-in-the-morning/id121051922

That one was reissued as "Troubles, Troubles" with alternate takes.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
    gwjensen and dante1963 like this.

19. conehead

conehead Strat-Talker

Apr 12, 2017
    way out there
    Just for the "purity of blues vintage tube gear" crowd (myself included), here's Otis playing through (the horror!) a Roland JC120.
    He hits the stage about 16 minutes into the show.

gwjensen likes this.

20. dante1963

dante1963 Strat-Talker

Apr 28, 2016
    St. Louis
    Thanks! I'll add the compilation to my list. Also, I didn't know Duane and the Muscle Shoals guys were in Mourning In The Morning! No wonder I like it so much.

:)