Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Overdrive Pedals You Hated-

Discussion in 'The Effect effect' started by mshivy, Nov 8, 2017.

1. mshivy

mshivy Most Honored Senior Member

ok, please feel free to vent about any Overdrive/ Distortion pedals you hated, sounded bad, or just were very disappointed in.

Personally, I disliked the
    Boss DS-1. I had a nickname for “DS”, guess what it was.

gwjensen, Rastus and abnormaltoy like this.

2. 1980

1980 Strat-Talker

Dec 18, 2016
    United States
    Tube screamer. One dimensional and overrated.

3. suncrush

suncrush Senior Stratmaster

Mar 25, 2014
    Pittsburgh
    Never really bonded with a tubescreamer or one of its clone. I don't hate it, but I guess it was a little disappointing because so many people speak of them as legends.

Rastus and mshivy like this.

4. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.
    That was gonna be my answer also. I've heard people get great sounds out of them, but it seems to be particular tube amp circuits that are already running hot. Trying to use it as the only source of drive makes them sound raspy to my ears.

abnormaltoy and mshivy like this.

5. Chont

Chont Senior Stratmaster

Sep 25, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    Dis Sucks?

6. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Senior Stratmaster

Feb 8, 2011
    Raleigh NC
    Boss DS-1 (UnModded) SD-1, BD-1, Fuzz Factory, MoJo Mojo, and probably about a dozen or so more.

7. RPKennedy

RPKennedy Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Apr 27, 2013
    Oconomowoc, WI
    I tried a few different versions of the OCD and disliked them all, but I know that pedal gets a lot of good press, so maybe it just wasn't the right pedal for my then rig.

8. sam_in_cali

sam_in_cali Scream for me Strat-Talk! Strat-Talk Supporter

Feb 21, 2014
    Santa Maria, CA
    SD-1...really? What were you putting in front of?

For me I haven't hated too many...had a Rocktek distortion pedal that sounded like it looked.
    [​IMG]

Dan_Q, David Garner, Yaralag and 4 others like this.

9. Raiders757

Raiders757 Senior Stratmaster

Sep 2, 2016
    Virginia
    The DOD Boneshaker. Thank goodness I only wasted $40 on it. I am sure I can sell it on Craigslist for $60, so there's that.

10. mshivy

mshivy Most Honored Senior Member

“ Dog _____”

Nah, the DS1.
    The orange one

abnormaltoy, sam_in_cali and Chont like this.

11. TangerineDog

TangerineDog Senior Stratmaster

Sep 5, 2015
    The EU
    I've only ever played one OD pedal in my life. A Mad Professor Golden Cello.
    Love it with my Tele - makes the smooth neck HB smoother and has a great, balanced sound with the bridge.

With all my other guitars, even if I turn the gain way down, it just kills off too much top end, humps the mids (whoa, my autocorrect wanted to make that 'm' a 'k'! Bad things happen with autocorrect! o.0) and is much too fuzzy, muddy and undefined overall.

abnormaltoy, Staypuft1652 and mshivy like this.

12. Chont

Chont Senior Stratmaster

Sep 25, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    [​IMG]

13. jaybones

jaybones Most Honored Senior Member

best way to use a Boss Metal Zone.jpg

'Nuff said.

Fact wasn't even good for that. Kept sliding letting the door close...:whistling:

14. CigBurn

CigBurn Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jun 22, 2014
    The Shed
    I'm torn on this.. I have a few that I really didn't care for with one guitar/amp setup that really shine with a different amp or guitar. The Marshall Bluesbreaker II pedal has way too much drive used direct, but kills through the HRD. The soulfood pushes nicely with single coils through an amp but is plinky direct. But with P-90's direct it growls, and is a beast through the HRD. The Digitech Screamin Blues better with humbuckers no matter what I plug it into. The Joyo Vintage OD sounds good with Single coils but not as good with the P-90s..

So they all suck.. or they are all great. Just depends. :)

15. Chont

Chont Senior Stratmaster

Sep 25, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    Do Fuzz pedals count? I bought Biyang Fuzz Star and I hate it. granted Im using it with a modeller but my Fulltone 70 doesn't do to bad in front of the same amp by any stretch.

The Volume knob taper is linear so it comes on very strong very fast and just sounds crap.

mshivy and abnormaltoy like this.

16. velvet_man

velvet_man Strat-Talker

Sep 7, 2016
    Vancouver
    I haven't had too many pedals. I got a Boss DS-1 (original 80s one from Japan) thrown in with my first amp (some sort of Crate solid state combo). It didn't sound good with the Crate, and it doesn't sound good with my current modeler, but it sounded absolutely amazing with my old Marshall JCM800, so I'll hang on to it.

Then I got an Ibanez TS5 (the plastic TubeScreamer) free from a friend and didn't care for it with my Marshall. I dug it out again and tried it with my Blackstar modeling amp and it sounded pretty good, so I upgraded to a Maxon OD-820 (their take on TS808 but with an 18V up-converter for the power), and it's forkin' amazing! I pretty much never turn it off.

TL/DR, I've never had a bad OD/distortion pedal, just rigs they didn't work too well with.

abnormaltoy likes this.

17. Believer7713

Believer7713 Senior Stratmaster

Dec 27, 2016
    US
    I know that I am in the minority here but I never could bond with the OCD. Maybe it was because I had the v1.4 but every time I plugged into one It just sounded like crap to me. I do have another pedal that when it is on higher gain settings is supposed to sound like the v1.3 and I like it but I haven't tried any of the older OCD versions to know for sure. I didn't care for the Ultimate Drive either, which is supposed to be an OCD clone.

abnormaltoy and circles like this.

18. Rob Moreno

Rob Moreno Strat-Talker

May 28, 2017
    Tokyo
    Of all the distortion pedals I've owned over the years, I can't remember hating any but there are some I didn't care for because they didn't suit my style of playing at the time. Currently I have a DS-2 and an OS-2 that I bought as part of a set of used pedals. I tried them out and within minutes decided that they weren't for me. So those are up for sale. The biggest disappointment in a distortion pedal for me would be the BD-2. I like what it does for clean sounds, giving them a nice boost/crunch. But the gain is way too fizzy for my taste if set past 9 o'clock. However I do like to use it in combination with other pedals such as the TS or OD-3.

mshivy and abnormaltoy like this.

19. Stratoholic

Stratoholic Senior Stratmaster

Mar 30, 2010
    somewhere
    I had one of those, the black battery door version (same on the inside as that one) they do 80's hair metal well enough

20. amstratnut

amstratnut Peace thru Music. Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 1, 2009
    My house.
    I auditioned for a band where rhythm guitarist was using something called a Grunge pedal. I think but am not sure its by DOD. It was like nails on a chalk board.

I did not join that band. His tone was AWFUL.

Staypuft1652, carver, mshivy and 2 others like this.