Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Overdrive Pedals You Hated-

Discussion in 'The Effect effect' started by mshivy, Nov 8, 2017.

1. nhsdpl

nhsdpl Senior Stratmaster

Apr 21, 2012
    West Australia
    I have yet to get a decent sound out of this . . . .

[​IMG]

Cheers.

circles likes this.

2. jaybones

jaybones Most Honored Senior Member

:cool:

Or, just get any Crate amp. They even tout the bees buzzing of their distortion channel.

If Crate made an OD pedal I'd put it on this list without any experience.

Musician78 and Believer7713 like this.

3. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.
    So, your next NAD will a Crate I take it?

4. jaybones

jaybones Most Honored Senior Member

Negative

One of my good friends and exbandmate had a Crate mini stack when we started playing. Also a Zoom multi-fx, and his whole sound was buzz with chorus. Same rate for every song.

He didn't seem to grasp that the rate needed to be close to the tempo of the song, until we did some 4 track stuff and he heard himself.

One particular cover we were doing was School (Nirvana from Bleach, pre-success).

Main riff is low E string, picking then fretting A# with some distortion. Both guitars played the same part (we had 2 guitar players covering a 1 guitar song), so we started with 1 guitar.

After the single guitar goes for a couple measures, then the rest of the band kicks in. We were listening to the playback, and when the band came in his muddied buzzing chorus sound was really apparent.

He was like "Whoa! Why does that sound like chit?" We said it was the heavy chorus that wasn't in time with the song, and that particular song didn't need any chorus. I mean it was punk- guitar and distorted amp.

5. robotguitar

robotguitar Senior Stratmaster

Oct 5, 2009
    california
    I don't like a lot of OD pedals. Can still find a few cool tones from the ones I hate, but I keep a Maxon OD808 and a Japan Boss DS-1 on board for some subtle warmth occasionally. A little Mesa F30 combo amp has pretty good drive on its own.

mshivy likes this.

6. carver

carver The East Coast Strangler Strat-Talk Supporter

And there is nothing wrong with that at all.

they just dont really work for me. I find them pretty muffled an not as open as I want them to be. No big deal :)

mshivy likes this.

7. stratman in va

stratman in va Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 27, 2012
    Virginia

Its funny how so many reviews call a pedal good or bad because of a plastic case. That DOD has a heavy cast metal box and a metal bottom plate too! Not a great sounding pedal but "awesome" because of the metal case, right??? ha ha

8. LeicaBoss

LeicaBoss Strat-O-Master Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 4, 2015
    New Jersey
    [​IMG]
    I like a lot of products in their affordable pedals line. Actually, I am very fond of them. The tremolo, analog delay and fuzz in particular.

However, this overdrive seems to be voiced to make everything sound like a crappy practice amp. I was so disappointed. They could have made a basic clone of any number of pedals, but this was just the dumps for me.

I hope their new Honey Bee is a decent Muff clone at least. This line deserves a decent OD.

mshivy likes this.

9. candyapple1964

candyapple1964 Senior Stratmaster

Mar 9, 2014
    Australia
    I don't hate any distortion or overdrive pedals.

I do like the ones I kept :)

10. Willie D

Willie D Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Right? For the most part it's not about a pedal being good or bad, but about it doing what you want with you and your rig.
    I mentioned the FabTone in my earlier reply. Its problem isn't that it was a bad pedal, just that it wasn't my preferred fit with my guitar, my amp, and the way I play.

carver likes this.

11. carver

carver The East Coast Strangler Strat-Talk Supporter

I pick pretty hard, and due to my approach I have to set my amps rather "dark" with a dark amp and this attack I have I come through with a perfect balance of highs and lows.

when I stick a naturally dark pedal in front of a dark amp, things get a little too dark, a little too dampened.

My idea of an amazing OD would be the JRAD The DUDE - this pedal is TRANSPARENT. that is the key. I dont like a drive that happens before your notes. I like one that reacts TO the notes.

I find a lot of pedals stack drive first, and eq later.

mshivy and Willie D like this.

12. Believer7713

Believer7713 Senior Stratmaster

Dec 27, 2016
    US
    The one good thing about that pedal would be if somebody jumped on the stage you could throw it at him and knock him out. But then again you might throw your shoulder out of socket in the process. LOL

stratman in va likes this.

13. Ebidis

Ebidis Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    One thing this thread proves is the old adage: One man's trash is another man's treasure.

14. amagras

amagras Strat-Talker

Oct 26, 2016
    Ontario
    I used to hate the tubescreamer and I was disappointed because all my favourite tones were ts-based (Henderson, SRV,..) until I figured out that I was simply using the tone control wrong. Most tubescreamer demos on YouTube explain how its supposed to work by looking at the schematic but fail to explain how it really sounds in practice.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
    ryapou and stratman in va like this.

15. ToneGrail

ToneGrail Strat-Talk Member

May 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    DOD Punkifier. The fartiest loosest pedal ever made.

16. CurlyMo

CurlyMo New Member!

Jan 12, 2017
    US
    Zinky True Grit. Thin, grainy, bright...there was no balance between the bass, treble, and grit controls.

17. Sarnodude

Sarnodude Senior Stratmaster

Sep 26, 2015
    Mukilteo
    Probably designed for indecent sounds.

amagras likes this.

18. GuitarPix

GuitarPix Senior Stratmaster

Oct 21, 2013
    Calgary
    I’ve had a few that I’ve gotten rid of, but only one I thought was a waste of everyone’s time from designer to the person soldering in parts to the deliver driver and me. The Garagetone Drivetrain.

Highly disappointed given that I absolutely love their delay pedal - the Axle Grease. It is truly a great pedal.

The Drivetrain can make a great amp sound like @$$

I bought it about half off, and still returned it.

19. stratman in va

stratman in va Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 27, 2012
    Virginia
    Thanks for the video! I have a TS 10 that I got used many years ago... never really realized how the tone control works.

amagras likes this.

20. suncrush

suncrush Senior Stratmaster

Mar 25, 2014
    Pittsburgh
    I have one and love it. From what I've heard from other people, it's really picky about what amp you put it in front of. I get very Klon-like tones out of it, though, which is neat. (And actually, like many people use Klons, I use mine as a cleanish boost a substantial fraction of the time.)