Warmoth.com Amplified Parts darrenriley.com Mod Kits Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Warmoth.com Amplified Parts darrenriley.com Mod Kits Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

P90 strat wiring?

Discussion in 'Pickup Forum' started by skinned_knuckle, Jun 7, 2010.

1. skinned_knuckle

skinned_knuckle Strat-Talk Member

Sep 4, 2009
    NC
    I saw this picture and it got me to start scratching my head,
    [​IMG]

I like the idea but wanted something that would look more like it came from the Fender factory.Here were my expectations of the finished product:
    -2 soap bar P90 pickups w/ covers painted white to match the knobs and pickguard
    -Fender style 3-way blade switch in normal location
    -1 volume, 2 tones

I routed a MIM body and added mahogany spacers to screw the pups to.

Created a custom pickguard with custom spaced pots to allow for larger bridge pup.

Here's my problem: How should I wire it?
    Here's what I have:
    -2 Sprague Orange Drop Caps .047uF @ 100V
    -3 CTS 500K Pots
    -1 3-way blade switch
    -2 P90 2-wire pups

I've already checked the seymour duncan website and got even more confused. Any help would be greatly appreciated

2. Dice

Dice Strat-O-Master

Feb 19, 2009
    MT
    I'd run 2 volume and 1 master tone if I were doing it.

This diagram is close:

Wiring Diagram

Obviously on the neck pup, the black is hot, the green is ground - you'll just have 2 leads on your P90s.

As for a Strat style 3 way - those are pretty old school - I don't know a thing about them. I assume that you will just find an old diagram - wire the neck and bridge pickups as "normal" - then run a jumper from each pickup's hot wire to the "middle pickup" lug.

3. Dice

Dice Strat-O-Master

Feb 19, 2009
    MT
  4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Dice

Dice Strat-O-Master

Feb 19, 2009
    MT
    Or, if you want master volume and independent tone, use this diagram. Insert the above 3 way. Black is hot, green is ground.

Wiring Diagram

6. Dice

Dice Strat-O-Master

Feb 19, 2009
    MT
    (Also - I just edited and corrected - that Black is your hot, Green is your ground. Ignore the twisted red/white).

7. voided3

voided3 Strat-Talker

Feb 13, 2008
    Earth
    I had a pickguard that was setup that way with master volume and a tone control for each pickup. I ended up converting it to a master volume + master tone with the tone control soldered to the output lug on the volume for the "50's wiring" to help keep some highs when rolling down the volume. I like simple, and the guitar got some more top end as a result.

8. dbb541

dbb541 Strat-Talk Member

Oct 14, 2010
    oregon
    I made this 3 90 strat

I made this 3 P90 strat, Wired it with 500k pots and regular strat 5 way switch, sounds killer. Great video link by the way, that was awesome.
    I am currently making a a 2p90 strat and was searching for the same schematic you were. I think I have it figured out now. Thanks!
    Dan

Attached Files:

9. D.Allen

D.Allen Senior Stratmaster Vendor Member

Jun 22, 2010
    SF Bay Area