Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

P90s

Discussion in 'Pickup Forum' started by thomquietwolf, Jan 12, 2018.

1. jvin248

jvin248 Senior Stratmaster

Jan 10, 2014
    Michigan

P90s to me are like a ready bar room brawl any time you want it, and that you'll want it again the next night.

Remember that humbuckers were designed to mimic P90s but give noise reduction. They traded off great tone to get noise reduction. Humbuckers can start to be fizzy where a P90 growls and bites. Or like two saws where one has half the teeth of the other and which will tear and rend more?

The Tele bridge pickup, with a steel baseplate, is very similar to a P90. As if Leo found a way to make a P90 output with a lot less wire and smaller magnets all for cheaper production. His goal was to sell amplifiers with a side of guitars while Gibson's goal was to sell guitars with a side of amps.

kchurch and Yaralag like this.

2. simoncroft

simoncroft Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

May 30, 2013
    SE England
    Pickup makers and customisers starting putting more winds onto traditional pick-up designs from the 1970s to get a hotter output. So you could say those pickups were 'overwound'. Putting less winds on the coil than the contemporary norm to get a more vintage performance would be 'underwound'.

Paperback Rocker and Bodean like this.

3. Jamie

Jamie Strat-O-Master

Jun 18, 2015
    Australia
    So what I'm getting here is that it's hard for P90's to sound bad which validates my current GAS for this.

IMG_0745.JPG

4. Dan_Q

Dan_Q Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 26, 2016
    NW UK
    i got my first P90 guitar a couple of months ago, it sounds fantastic even at bedroom levels- I'm hoping to take it to a jam so i can turn up the juice a bit later this year :)

Thanks everyone for all the interesting information and comparisons etc- i know nothing about them! :thumb:

Paperback Rocker likes this.

5. Highway Star

Highway Star Strat-Talker

Apr 22, 2016
    Who knows?
    In most cases I actually think that P-90 sounds better than humbuckers on a Les Paul. A lot more bite, punch and clarity. Humbuckers tend to be a bit fuzzy in my opinion and the notes comes out more blurry.

6. crashbelt

crashbelt Strat-Talker

Feb 27, 2012
    England
    I've got them in 50s Les Paul Junior and a Special and an early 60s 330.

They all sound brilliant and very different. LPJ is musically brutal LPS is only slightly mellower and perfect for slide and the 330 is pure Grant Green jazz tone. Go figure:whistling:

My favourite pickups even over PAFs.

7. Shortstop

Shortstop Strat-Talk Member

Nov 27, 2012
    at home
    P90's are like any other pickup and there's dogs and gems available depending on personal taste.

8. fezz parka

fezz parka The Wiggler of Sticks Strat-Talk Supporter

Simple: less turns on the bobbin. Less turns, lower DCR, more high end, less lower mids.

Paperback Rocker likes this.

9. Antigua

Antigua Senior Stratmaster

Feb 28, 2014
    in between
    [retracted comment]

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018

10. johnnymg

johnnymg Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 5, 2015
    Central Coast Ca

11. CaseCandy

CaseCandy Senior Stratmaster

May 9, 2015
    UK/Ireland

12. fender kev

fender kev Strat-Talker

Jan 1, 2010
    uk
    I like the ones in my tele thinline . but the neck is a bit dark.