Join Strat-Talk Today

Paris?! nooooooo Im so sorry to see this

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by carver, Apr 15, 2019.

1. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Senior Stratmaster

Hey, maybe it's just me talking myself into it.
    I want to believe

2. LPBlue

LPBlue "That Guy", again...dammit! Strat-Talk Supporter

Uhh, time to lighten up here. This thread is pertaining to a fire and a world recognized monument. Park your theology/paranoia/apprehensions at the door and please attempt to address the situation if you will?:sneaky:

Bodean, Tone Deaf, amstratnut and 8 others like this.
  3. nadzab

nadzab Peace & Love, my Brothers & Sisters... Strat-Talk Supporter

Truly tragic.

4. JaxStratGuy

JaxStratGuy Strat-Talker Strat-Talk Supporter

I have fond memories of Paris. When I was in the Navy, my ship spent some time along the coast. My mom flew over and we spent two weeks in Paris. We're not Catholic, but one of my greatest memories was Christmas Eve mass at Notre Dame. The architecture boggled my mind. This is a great loss.

Mansonienne, tery and stevierayfan91 like this.
  5. WhiteWabbit

WhiteWabbit Senior Stratmaster

Someone fu**ed up.

Mansonienne likes this.
  6. axis69

axis69 Senior Stratmaster

Thank god the towers will survive.The towers are a point of reference landmark and just so beautiful to see when walking,relaxing,having a drink along the Seine.The nave will be rebuilt but it will be a long time.

Ive taken many photos of the towers but much more of the flying buttresses behind the towers.Incredible stonework.The back end of the church really is so beautiful.

Mansonienne likes this.
  7. simoncroft

simoncroft Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

I saw an aerial shot a few hours ago on BBC News, and the extent of the damage is heartbreaking. The fire seemed to have ripped through the whole building. (I can't find an on-line image; sorry.)

The horrible paradox is it seems it probably started in the area renovation was taking place, so may well be connected to that.

Mansonienne likes this.
  8. franklyn13

franklyn13 Strat-Talker

sad state of affairs...we're all Catholic if we believe !

9. axis69

axis69 Senior Stratmaster

Isnt restoration what caused Windsor castle to burn?Seems to happen often enough.Welding and electric power tools not a good mix for old dry materials.

franklyn13 likes this.
  10. dirocyn

dirocyn Senior Stratmaster

Breitbart is a political entity with the agenda of making WASPS feel like they're under attack, for purposes of political gain. Think twice and verify their "facts" before you believe anything they claim. I wouldn't rule out arson or political motive--but the Catholic church is a target of vitriol from a variety of sources including the far right. ISIS would have been much more likely to bomb the place when it's full. Around here when churches burn down there's usually a Klansman holding the gasoline.

I truly hope it's just an accident. Sparks from a cut-off wheel or welding torch getting in the insulation, something like that.

11. simoncroft

simoncroft Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Yes, exactly that.

I for one would massively appreciate it if we stuck to Strat-Talk rules and didn't start throwing around wild accusations about political factions who 'might' have been responsible, with absolutely no evidence to support the claims.

12. stevierayfan91

stevierayfan91 Deeply Shy. Strat-Talk Supporter

@Mansonienne
    Je suis desole pour le tragique sur la Notre Dame.

I love France.

13. Bowmap

Bowmap I nose a thang or two. Gold Member

Until facts and information point to another reason, I agree with
    Speculation at this point is futile. Let the investigations occur and hopefully the facts come out. This IS a tragedy to a great symbol. Let's not make it more than we know.

dirocyn, Mansonienne and simoncroft like this.
  14. Mansonienne

Mansonienne Stratocrastinator Extraordinaire Staff Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Yes, and the first elements of the investigation point to an accident.
    They just said that the stained glass windows are still intact. The vaulted ceiling is partly damaged, but it seems that a lot of it is still in place (for now). Of course, they are still looking at everything and knowing the full extent of the damage will take time.
    Many of the most important relics and other treasures seem to have been spared.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
  15. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Most Honored Senior Member

Um no we are not and you need to read the rules about discussing religious beliefs here.

16. Believer7713

Believer7713 Most Honored Senior Member Silver Member

So Sad to see that kind of history be destroyed. On a personal note I am also saddened because I have always wanted to see that building due to I was originally a sturdy of architecture and, as you two already know, I will be taking my wife to Paris for her birthday this year. That was going to be one of our stops.
    I know this is MUCH larger than us but still...Kind of sucks.

Mansonienne likes this.
  17. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Squier Freak Strat-Talk Supporter

This is out of line, the guy was making a positive post about solidarity. I came to this thread because of your post in his Squier sub forum thread.....thinking he would have been way out of line, but he's not.....

CephasG likes this.
  18. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Most Honored Senior Member

Maybe I took his post wrong then. I took it as he was a Catholic and saying any Christian is a Catholic at heart. Several Catholics I know feel their version of Christianity is the only correct one. Either way his post and my reply, then your reply to mine and now my reply to yours have turned into a religious discussion and supports my comment that the topic should not be brought up on this forum. There are people from many religions all over the world who stand in solidarity with Notre Dame, not sure why this poster had to state that we are all Catholics if we believe, I doubt any of our non Christian members would agree with him that they are Catholic.

@franklyn13 if I took your post the wrong way then I am sorry.

19. usul1978

usul1978 Guitar bricolo Strat-Talk Supporter

All of that it's not very relevant anyway, the religious side of the story is very secondary from the french point of view, IMO.

axis69 and Stratoskater like this.
  20. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Squier Freak Strat-Talk Supporter

I will put it to rest saying this - for example if a terrorist attack took place in Ireland, someone might say 'today we are all Irish'. I took it to mean solidarity.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.