Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Pathfinder 15r - $150 CDN

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by pughwilliam, Nov 10, 2018.

1. pughwilliam

pughwilliam Strat-Talk Member

What would you do?

I'm looking for a small, but good sounding amp to keep in the classroom where I teach. I'll keep my Strat the to noodle between classes.

I need reverb and some edge of breakup goodness and would like tremolo. I would like this to be plug and play. I have amp sims on my iPad, but it's too much fiddling on a screen.

I only hear things about this amp and I think that $150 cdn sounds fair.

What would you do?
    - go the Vox?
    - spend more or a Katana?
    - something else?

Thanks guys.

2. TheDuck

TheDuck Most Honored Senior Member

Jan 12, 2016
    Lil' Rhody
    For edge of breakup goodness in that price range, I would go with the Fender Mustang.

The Mustang I:
    Many of its “deep editing” parameters are not accessible from the amps front panel, but you wont miss them when noodling between classes.
    Its speaker is its weak point at only 8”.

Mustang II:
    Used is a great option for this amp and costs under the $150 mark.
    Hs a 12” speaker and more options on the amp than the I, but stll requires software to get the most out of it.

Mustang III:
    Best bang for the buck (around $200 used) 12” Celestion speaker, LCD screen and all the amps settings are accesable without software.

Of course there are many more options, I just happen to really like the Mustang clean and edge of break up tones.

3. Tom Cat Strat

Tom Cat Strat Strat-Talker

Jun 3, 2018
    New York
    The VOX Pathfinder 15R is the way to go.

It has everything you list as a requirement. All I can add is that the darn thing is loud as heck and it delivers a perfect VOX tone. And for some reason the Tremolo on this cheap little guy is better than the Trem on my AC30.

I use my Strat with it. Heck, any guitar I plug into it sounds pretty darn good.

[​IMG]

4. pughwilliam

I've heard a lot of good things about the Mustangs and I'd love to pick up a III v2. I didn't realize that all settings were available from the amp without a computer on the iii. It seems to be the sweet spot in the lineup. But used, they're quite rare around here (especially the v2, which is reputed to be much better...) I'll see what I can do.

TheDuck likes this.
  5. pughwilliam

I've heard so many good things about these little tone monsters. I've been hankering for Vox tones. I was planning on taking my Strat to school so it's good toknow that you like the pairing. I also love the telephone cable. Awesome look.

You say it's loud. Does it sound good at low volume ? Not crazy low, but like classroom at school during recess low...

6. Tom Cat Strat

Tom Cat Strat Strat-Talker

Jun 3, 2018
    New York
    It's insanely loud. Really loud. My God, that's LOUD!

Does it sound good at low volumes? Why, yes, because that's really the only volume I play it at. The damn thing is LOUD!

And the classic VOX tone is in this little amp. It's a VOX and it sounds just like those classic VOX tones you might love. As far as a Strat into a VOX...here's the world's best kept secret: Fenders sound best in VOX amps. I know everybody says Rickenbacker/VOX is a match made in heaven, but Fender through a VOX is magnificent.

7. johntrem

johntrem Strat-Talker

Pathfinder 15s are great amps. I've had mine since 1998 and yes, they can get insanely loud for 15 watts. I wish Vox hasn't stopped making them. When they were still in production you could pick up a used one for as low as $50.

8. AxemanVR

AxemanVR I appreciate, therefore I am... Strat-Talk Supporter

Feb 8, 2014
    Minnesota USA
    `
    I've been keeping an eye out for a Vox 15R for a decent price, but so far the prices have been pretty high (if you can find one), so $150 seems about what you'd expect for one that is in fairly good shape.

I already have the non-reverb version and it sounds great, so I don't really need a 15R.

Anyway, if you're going to get one you'd better grab it before someone else does!

`

Last edited: Nov 12, 2018 at 2:01 PM
  9. Kstu

Kstu Strat-O-Master

Oct 18, 2017
    Everett, Massachusetts
    Wow the 15R I forgot about those. When I was a drummer my friend used one and kept up fine in our three piece band. They are nice all around as every feature works great. Problem is that they sell for more than they used to cost and some people are really fishing at 2x and more. I have a Mustang 3 and if you ignore the presets except maybe 80-100 you can make excellent tones. I bought one for $100 but of course the shipping was close to the price of the amp. There are options now. I ordered a Vox AV30 for $200 and that's gonna be the last of the lower/practice type amps I have not played (did lots of returning) one was a regret sell so I purchased again. That Vox 15R now that I remember it to my ears is better than a lot of them. Ahh brings back memories.

AxemanVR likes this.