Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Pau Ferro - too light?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Fendereedo, Jul 18, 2017.

1. Yogi

Yogi Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 21, 2009
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Fender didn't dye all of the rosewood, but did to ones which were lighter pieces, you may have just gotten a darker board that wasn't dyed. I know the last new fender I had had a dyed board. Not that it matters, dyed board or not, pau Ferro or rosewood

2. Yogi

Jan 21, 2009
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    I'm really confused as why people keep saying pau Ferro is "cheap looking" ? This is a gorgeous piece of wood. 1500462857431.jpg

3. MetalPedal

MetalPedal Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Oct 22, 2016
    Auto-Wah, Canada
    Hey man, you're budding into Thrumpy's territory with that quote lol

Prasanth likes this.

4. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Most Honored Senior Member

May 7, 2014
    UK
    Unfortunately I don't. The board itself was on an new MIM standard.

5. Fendereedo

May 7, 2014
    UK
    Ha!

abnormaltoy likes this.

6. Tone Guru

Tone Guru Senior Stratmaster

Dec 13, 2011
    Music City TN
    I remember being curious about pau ferro when I read that it was used on the SRV, thinking it must be exotic since I wasn't familiar with it.
    And now it's come full circle with it being called "cheap" and the disappointment that it's being used.

I guess I need to try one for myself.

Yogi likes this.

7. Ebidis

Ebidis Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    Who's saying it's cheap? I have only seen people comment that it is lighter colored than rosewood.

It has always been a more expensive choice than rosewood on custom builds and on after market necks like Warmoth etc.

8. jofish

jofish Strat-O-Master

Aug 28, 2015
    Hull, UK
    I like my fretboards nice and dark too in general but a pretty grain rules all. This Pao Ferro board is certainly a looker!

[​IMG]

9. Yogi

Jan 21, 2009
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    This person earlier in this thread lol^^^

I've seen this sentiment, even though pau ferro is a more expensive option

10. LarryBirdsFace

LarryBirdsFace Strat-Talk Member

Jan 17, 2017
    Maine
    The grain and variation of Pau Ferro is certainly less consistent, but it has a really, really similar density and hardness to rosewood so playing it will not feel different to 99% of the population.
    I personally like the look of a wilder, streaky piece of Pau Ferro over an even, dark piece of rosewood. A lot of the aesthetics come down to the guitar and finish it's on. I suspect Fender, Gibson etc, will dye the pieces going on a guitar which calls for a dark fretboard.

11. Pomaranc

Pomaranc Strat-Talk Member

Jul 10, 2016
    Slovakia
    Pau ferro can have really nice figuring indeed, but I do prefer, at least on fender style guitars, uniform looking dark rosewood with no figuring.

Fat Strat Rat and Tone Guru like this.

12. techowiz

techowiz Strat-Talker

Nov 7, 2013
    NY
    In answer to your question, it is lighter than rw. I personally , prefer rw......

13. spizike231

spizike231 Strat-Talker

Feb 9, 2017
    California
    I tend to look away from prices and what the world tells you about something.

I look at it and draw my own opinion.

To ME, it reminds me of old cheap coffee tables and such. Too bright, trying too hard to scream “I’m expensive and exotic!”

Ebony > Rosewood > Maple > PF

14. spizike231

spizike231 Strat-Talker

Feb 9, 2017
    California
    I remember seeing the SRV sig and thinking “they surely must be hand picking dark rosewood boards for this guitar.. SRV was so iconic”

Then.. Pau Ferro? :confused:

15. Will Lefeurve

Will Lefeurve Senior Stratmaster

Mar 1, 2016
    England & France
    As with any wood, if you don't like the colour.. stain it. Its been done in the furniture industry for hundreds of years.

Will Pau Ferro take a stain.. of course it will, if oil/grease free.

As someone else has mentioned, leather die will stain wood, and there's always good old 'boot polish'. Something I may add I've used on 'Rosewood' boards, and it lasts..

Dark Pau Ferro.. no problem.. :thumb:

Fendereedo likes this.

16. Yogi

Jan 21, 2009
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Sure it's all subjective, and I didn't mean to single you out, I've just read that sentiment over the net when PF isn't cheap at all, it's actually a desirable exotic wood that has beautiful grain patterns. It just ain't rosewood and to many that means cheap substitute. Up until now PF had only been used on select high end Fenders and I don't think I ever heard it referred to as cheap, but stick it on a MIM fender and it suddenly loses value for some people ( not that what you are doing, you just don't like it). I just find that dynamic interesting

17. Fendereedo

May 7, 2014
    UK
    That would certainly be an alternative, seeing as how Fender have been dying the rosewood on recent boards.

Will Lefeurve likes this.

18. alderre

alderre Strat-Talker

May 1, 2014
    New Braunfels
    [​IMG]

19. Will Lefeurve

Will Lefeurve Senior Stratmaster

Mar 1, 2016
    England & France
    I think sometimes people need to just remember that a fretboard is just a bit of wood at the end of the day. So therefor it can be treated just like any other bit of wood in the majority of cases. Staining a bit of wood is easy-peasy.. ;)

Neil.C, Yogi and Fendereedo like this.

20. dante1963

dante1963 Strat-Talker

Apr 28, 2016
    St. Louis
    And on the bright side, with obsidian fretboards, guitar players would be able to use their guitars to kill Wight Walkers. :)

Prasanth and Will Lefeurve like this.