Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Pau Ferro - too light?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Fendereedo, Jul 18, 2017.

1. fender_freak

fender_freak Strat-Talker

Dec 29, 2012
    La Crosse, WI
    I think it a lot of cases, PF looks very similar to RW. Ok, it's not historically accurate....but if we want to get that technical, neither was Indian rosewood. Seems like a lot of woods got lumped under "rosewood", so is PF really that much of a departure from "rosewood"? (PF is called Bolivian rosewood by some) I kind of see it as rosewood is pine...and you have your different types of pine. Then PF is poplar. It's all pretty much the same damn thing. RW and PF as stated have very similar qualities. I like that PF is smoother and tighter on average. I can live with the color.

Plus it's not like men in black suits with AK47s are going around taking guitars with RW fretboards. It's going to be awhile before PF really makes its way to the used market in any big way.

Does anyone know if this switch is permanent? I'm thinking it might be like what Fender did in the early 90s, sub'ing poplar for alder.

2. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.
    Woah now, don't go talking sense up in here.

Will Lefeurve likes this.

3. cjpeck

cjpeck Strat-O-Master

Feb 11, 2011
    Seattle
    just a couple of quick observations...

the term "rosewood" refers to an entire genus of trees. it's pretty much used as a catch-all descriptive for a few others as well.

I bet 99.9% of the corksniffers wouldn't have noticed the difference if Fender hadn't pointed it out on the freakin' hang tag

I just can't wait until someone says "I can totally hear the tonal difference in a PF board..." How long until there are 400 useless duplicate threads about it?

4. fender_freak

fender_freak Strat-Talker

Dec 29, 2012
    La Crosse, WI
    This is exactly my point, you put it perfectly. Saying something is a rosewood fretboard doesn't really say much about what it actually is...so it's hard to say PF is a big change. I personally don't think it is.

5. Rayzaa

Rayzaa Strat-Talker

Jul 1, 2015
    Las Vegas, NV
    I think it looks great but if you want to darken it up, put some lemon oil on it. Still looks better than maple imo.

6. Etacarinae

Etacarinae Strat-Talker

May 21, 2017
    United states
    It is slightly different, therefore, it is the worst thing imaginable.

(Actually, I like the looks a little more than rosewood for most color combinations)

7. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.
    Wait, there aren't already?
    We need to get started, folks.

8. spizike231

spizike231 Strat-Talker

Feb 9, 2017
    California
    Anyone with an opinion disliking PF is now a corksniffer and wouldn’t be able to tell the difference between the two if Fender never announced it.. mmmmk bud

Don’t understand why names must be thrown around just due to opposing opinions. I doubt it’s unheard of for someone to look at a PF board next to a RW board and say “wow, these aren’t the same” :whistling:

abnormaltoy likes this.

9. stratnutz

stratnutz Senior Stratmaster

Apr 10, 2011
    Dallas TX

10. GoldenEagle0308

GoldenEagle0308 Strat-Talker

Jul 11, 2014
    Denver
    If guitar makers originally used PF back in the day and were switching to RW today, we'd be having the same discussion but in reverse.

11. GoldenEagle0308

GoldenEagle0308 Strat-Talker

Jul 11, 2014
    Denver

12. PetesWindmill

PetesWindmill Senior Stratmaster

Nov 27, 2012
    Texas
    People seem to be to afraid of change. Pau Ferro has been used almost exclusively on high end instruments in the past. It is very much an upgrade from the Indian Rosewood we've had for a long time. Best playing guitar I own has a basswood body and a unfinished maple neck. It's not about the looks, it's about how the instrument plays. None of my guitars were my first choice in looks, but I'm too busy playing them to care.

13. bluesky1963

bluesky1963 Strat-Talk Member

May 8, 2011
    Glendale, AZ
    From what I have read Pau Ferro (Libidibia ferrea) is about as close as you can get to a rosewood, without actually being a true rosewood (genus Dalbergia). One of it's alternate names is Bolivian Rosewood. Another is Ironwood.

Pau Ferro been used on the SRV sig Strat since it's debut. Reportedly Stevie wanted a Brazilian Rosewood fretboard like his Number One, but that would have made the guitar insanely expensive. He did not want East Indian Rosewood because he felt that it was not as hard as Braz and he did not like the feel. Pau Ferro is harder than EI Rosewood and was proposed as an alternative. There is a debate as to whether Stevie gave his approval or Jimmy approved it after Stevie's death.

Either way, it hasn't seemed to bother anyone since 1992.

14. cjpeck

cjpeck Strat-O-Master

Feb 11, 2011
    Seattle
    now try going back and actually reading for content. I never denigrated anyone who professes to not care for PF. What I said was that the vast majority of people who get hung on minutia (i.e. "corksniffers") most likely wouldn't be able to tell the difference without being told.

Just for fun, what wood is this?

thumbnail_IMG_20170719_175831996.jpg

15. spizike231

spizike231 Strat-Talker

Feb 9, 2017
    California
    Instead of playing your fun game with a reaching photo I’m sure you tilted to your bias, let’s try this..

Which one is PF and which one is RW? (FYI I found both pics by googling “rosewood fretboard” and “pau ferro fretboard” and these are the first pics that come up for each)

Anyone?

IMG_3252.JPG IMG_3251.JPG

16. Prasanth

Prasanth Strat-Talker

Sep 25, 2016
    Malaysia
    I'd also like valaryian steel strings, tuners and trem bars please

dante1963 likes this.

17. 1980

1980 Strat-Talker

Dec 18, 2016
    United States
    IMG_3907.jpg
    One is PF. can you tell which one?

18. Tone Guru

Tone Guru Senior Stratmaster

Dec 13, 2011
    Music City TN
    The PF looks fine to me and if it's good enough for Stevie's, all the better.
    <regardless whether Stevie or Jimmie approved it>

It just that for many it's a simple matter of wanting to be so-called "vintage correct".
    Usually for no good reason other than just because.
    Of course if you closed your eyes, blah blah.
    Why nickel instead of chrome ?
    Why Formvar instead of plain enamel ?
    Why AlNiCo instead of ceramic ?
    Why SSS rout instead of bathtub ?
    Why Klusons instead of the far superior Schallers ?
    Why nitr ... I won't even go there :-/

All in the mind's imagination of tone.

owenmoney likes this.

19. KyStratman

KyStratman Strat-Talk Member

Nov 27, 2016
    Kentucky
    It's a really beautiful wood, but if you want a darker or more consistently colored wood (less varied colored grain lines) they're easy to dye with India ink from stew mac. It won't make it ebony black but it will make the grain a darker and more consistent shade.