Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Paul McCartney and "Something "

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Ditchgator, Jan 14, 2019.

1. Ditchgator

Ditchgator Strat-Talker

Nov 18, 2015
    Los Alamos, New Mexico
    Watching Concert for George and was taken aback when Paul seemingly announced that after dinner at George's house, they would pull out the ukelele and he would sing the lyrics of what would become the song for George's Something.
    Cant remember verbatim.
    But what was taken as meaning that it was a Paul song.
    Personally, as this was a concert one year after George's passing to honor George, it was not only distasteful but left a nagging thought of truthfulness.
    Egos eh?
    What is the truth? Do you know?

abnormaltoy likes this.
  2. Paperback Rocker

Paperback Rocker Nitro-mancer Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 18, 2014
    Lewisville, TX
    Who's to say he's not telling the truth? George stole the first line from James Taylor.

Not saying I have an opinion on this, since I haven't seen the clip.

abnormaltoy and AncientAx like this.
  3. CigBurn

CigBurn Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jun 22, 2014
    Same Shed Different Day
    I like George more than Paul so I must recuse myself from making any official statement.

+1 for George

4. rolandson

rolandson Most Honored Senior Member

Being familiar with Gibran's Sand and Foam, I too will recuse myself from commenting on Beatles song origins. And of the four, I too favor Harrison...though Ringo is a very accomplished photographer...and my favorite Beatles drummer.

5. thomquietwolf

thomquietwolf Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 2, 2010
    Peardale CA
    About 90% sure
    That's George's
    Have a couple sheets
    Say it's his..
    Course they're just paper n ink...

abnormaltoy, rolandson and Ditchgator like this.
  6. Ditchgator

Ditchgator Strat-Talker

Nov 18, 2015
    Los Alamos, New Mexico
    Have read many accounts as to the origins of songwriting credits.
    That's why from what was perceived as Paul taking credit confused.
    Has the take away from the DVD (which is NOT in possession at this time to review) been misconstrued, or did Paul take credit?

abnormaltoy likes this.
  7. dirocyn

dirocyn Strat-O-Master

Jan 20, 2018
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Whoever wrote it, it's credited to George.

And whoever wrote the lyrics and melody, Paul's bass line makes it. It's absolutely wonderful bass work.

8. CalicoSkies

CalicoSkies Senior Stratmaster

Jun 10, 2013
    Hillsboro, OR, USA
    My understanding was that it was a George Harrison song. And I last saw Paul McCartney in concert in 2005, and there was a point where he brought out a ukulele and mentioned Something was George's song, and he played Something in honor of George.

9. Willie D

Willie D Pentatonic Hack Strat-Talk Supporter

IIRC, Paul introduced the song by saying George would get out the ukes and Paul would say, "there's a song I like to play on the uke" and then play Something - intended as a compliment to George (in other words, saying "I love playing your song.")

10. Vic Interceptor

Vic Interceptor Strat-Talker

Dec 28, 2017
    Dixie
    I look for consistency in any artist. After the break up, it became clear to me George Martin was the talent of that band.

Ditchgator and abnormaltoy like this.
  11. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    What would McCartney know? He wasn't even aware that he wrote Yesterday. He was going around for a few days singing the song & asking others if they knew where he had heard it from. When nobody knew, he decided that he must have written it. o_O

So maybe he was never the most reliable source of information?

12. hexnut

hexnut Strat-Talker

Jul 18, 2018
    Middle Tennessee
    Paul says a lot of things about George and John now that they aren't here to dispute him. Paul is not one of my favorite Beatles. After the break up George said he could play in a band with Ringo, and John but he would never play in a band that had Paul in it.

Ditchgator, davidKOS and rafasounds like this.
  13. guitarface

guitarface Senior Stratmaster

Nov 11, 2012
    New York
    That's not how I took it. I took it that after the song was written, after abbey Road, if they'd had dinner and took out ukuleles to play around with and Paul said that he told George one of the songs he likes to do on the uke is something- he was saying that he liked something and enjoyed playing it on the uke. Watch it again. I'm pretty sure I'm right.

14. rafasounds

rafasounds Senior Stratmaster

Aug 25, 2011
    Brazil
    Paul McCartney is also known for inventing electricity, toilet paper and the atomic bomb. So it's probably true.

15. Paperback Rocker

Paperback Rocker Nitro-mancer Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 18, 2014
    Lewisville, TX
    Sounds like it's pretty obvious that Paul was paying tribute to George, saying he liked to play "Something" on uke.

I don't understand the people who obviously want to find reasons to despise Paul.

So Paul was cranky on the "Let It Be" movie? How would you feel if your bandmate's crazy chick was putting beds in the studio and stuff like that? And the other two members were obviously mainly there out of a sense of duty. Blame Paul all you want, but without him it's a good bet we wouldn't have a lot of the Beatles music we currently do.

And if you do your reading on John, you'll see he was a deplorable person in a lot of ways.

And that's being said by someone who loves ALL the Beatles and listens to all their solo work, including George's and Ringo's.

16. usul1978

usul1978 Guitar bricolo Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 9, 2015
    France
    I saw the concert with the ukulele tribute, it was clear he was making an hommage to his friend.

17. Wrighty

Wrighty Senior Stratmaster

Mar 7, 2013
    Harlow, Essex, UK
    Why, because he played it and sang it, was it not George’s song? A friend and I often get together where I show him a number I’ve been messing with, and he plays it. Doesn’t mean he’s gonna declare it his later if he describes what happened? Think you may have misinterpreted the situation.

18. Wrighty

Wrighty Senior Stratmaster

Mar 7, 2013
    Harlow, Essex, UK
    Yeah, sure, wrote and arranged most of the numbers......................classic case of the band ripping off the manager.....................typical Beatles, every other band found the opposite!

19. usul1978

usul1978 Guitar bricolo Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 9, 2015
    France
    George Martin was clearly the fifth Beatles but I never hear him sing on the tracks !

edit : my bad, he plays on them !

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019