Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Pawn Shop find - NY Pro Strat

Discussion in 'Non-Fender S-Type Guitar Forum' started by PawnShopStrat, Feb 10, 2019.

1. PawnShopStrat

PawnShopStrat New Member!

Feb 8, 2019
    Canada
    During a recent visit to my hometown, I checked in at the local pawn shop and found a New York Pro strat. Had never heard of this brand. They had an amp there, so I was able to confirm that pickups and electronics worked, albeit scratchy sounding. Priced at $69, I got it for $60. Guitar had five old strings on it, action was set a mile off the fretboard. The nut appeared to be standard Fender width, the body is thicker than my Affinity Strat. The neck is thicker than a Squier Affinity Strat neck. Fret ends not sharp but do need work. Took it home, tuned it up, and right away noticed that it had a nice sound acoustically. I do most of my practice unplugged, so this was a good sign. Plugged into my amp (solid state Champ 20). The pickups hinted at the Strat quacking sound. I'm going to start modding it by replacing tuners, nut, electronics, saddles, and output jack, as well as shield the cavity. Do some work on the frets, then see how it sounds and plays before replacing pickups. Interesting alternative to a Squier, and my first black guitar. Interested to see if this can be made into a player!

2. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Senior Stratmaster

Oct 16, 2018
    Tacoma in two weeks
    Welcome, and Happy New Guitar Day. Please post pics of your upgrades when you do them.

3. jayoldschool

jayoldschool Mod Admin Staff Member

Sep 13, 2011
    Canada
    Admin Post
    A Canadian whose first post is well-detailed, includes a photo, and is in the correct section? I like this guy already.

Jimi Lightning likes this.
  4. banjaxed

banjaxed Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Mar 14, 2014
    Liverpool UK
  5. PawnShopStrat

PawnShopStrat New Member!

Feb 8, 2019
    Canada
    Thanks for the welcome. I have a Squier Affinity Strat with a 5-way switch set up in a blend wiring scheme where the neck is blended in. For this NY Pro I'm going to use a 3-way switch wired for Neck, N+M, Middle, and blend the bridge in. This is three or four weeks out, I have to travel over the next few weeks.