Warmoth.com Amplified Parts darrenriley.com Mod Kits Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Warmoth.com Amplified Parts darrenriley.com Mod Kits Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Peavey Delta Blues vs. Fender DRRI

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by BluesRock41, Apr 23, 2012.

1. BluesRock41

BluesRock41 Strat-Talker

I've been looking for a new amp to replace my Blues Jr. For a while I've wanted a Fender Deluxe Reverb and it's nearing the time for an upgrade. Today I went by a local music store and saw they had a used Peavey Delta Blues. It was the combo with a 15" speaker and had an external cab that was 4x10. For the cab and combo amp they want $550. It's not in the best of shape, the tweed and grill cloth both have some tears and smudges but it actually looks kinda cool. Road worn but not too much. It sounded great too! a lot louder than a DRRI(30 watts compared to 22 watts). This particular model is older and doesn't have the logo plate on the front. The speakers are all no-name, they're just black on the backs. Now the question for you all is which one should I get? I love them both but I don't know what to get! Used they're about the same price, the Peavey is a little cheaper though. What is the DB like, quality, sound and reliability? Compared to a DRRI? Is the price right for it? Any help would be so greatly appreciated guys:D
    Thanks!

2. VentilatorBlues

VentilatorBlues Senior Stratmaster

Oohh... you're getting the 4X10 cab too? I would definitely pick the Peavey, I'm a pretty unabashed fan of the Peavey Classic series. I don't know if the new ones still are, but mine was made in the USA, was built like a tank, and I never had a problem with it. Hauled that amp around everywhere. I kind of had the opposite of that setup - 4X10 Peavey Classic 50 amp, with the 1X15 ext. cab. With that combination of speakers it just sounded so big.

3. BluesRock41

BluesRock41 Strat-Talker

Thanks! Yeah this is a slightly older model and is made in the USA! I think I'm going to go back and buy it tomorrow. They said they would do $550 on the whole deal I'm going to offer $450 and see where we can go from there. It does sound huge! Its just ridiculously amazing sounding!

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Willspear

Willspear New Member!

the DRRI doesnt sound huge

sounds good but not huge

I like 1x15 amps a lot the peavy is no exception.

6. Celeste

Celeste Senior Stratmaster

You are unlikely to loose money on either one used if you decide you don't like it, so that is not really an issue, but you might make money on the Peavey. that is not a setup that you will likely see again, a used DRRI you will see at that price again next week. Get the Peavey, if it is not right for you, sell it and get the DRRI

7. Jazzjoker

Jazzjoker Strat-Talker

I assume you've already heard the DRRI and came to the conclusion that the DB combo is a lot louder?

If you haven't heard the DRRI yet, do yourself a favor and go hear it. Then decide which one's best for your needs.

(In other words just buy the DRRI and never look back :D)

8. BluesRock41

BluesRock41 Strat-Talker

I bought the peavey delta blues! I'm happy with my choice. And in response to the post above I have played the DRRI extensively in many occasions and I can safely say that the DB is louder IMO and sounds better for what I want. I couldn't compare them side to side but I played them both so I made the right call. Its such a huge sounding amp! I love it!

9. TSims1

TSims1 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Cool man! Congrats - those are AWESOME amps. The DRRI is also cool, but it is a very specific sounding amp and if THAT TONE isn't within the realm of what you do, you'll be far better of with the Delta Blues imo. Good choice.

10. Teddy Watkins

Teddy Watkins Senior Stratmaster

It's louder largely because of the speaker difference as well. A 15" speaker will sound louder than a 12" and if you had the extension cab hooked up there is absolutely no comparing. And they likely aren't no name speakers but the stock Peavey Blue Marvel speakers. They didn't always come with the sticker on them. Good buy man. I'm a big peavey fan. A 2x10 delta blues is on my GAS list.

11. orcslayer

orcslayer Senior Stratmaster

The DRRI has that sparkly Fender clean that no Peavey has ever matched. DRRI also a wonderful reverb (I don't think the Delta Blues has any reverb). Both have a great Tremolo.

The Delta Blues will have raunchier, warmer rock sound. You need to listen to both side by side if possible. Your sound preference is the most important factor.

12. Teddy Watkins

Teddy Watkins Senior Stratmaster

Delta Blues has reverb

13. BluesRock41

BluesRock41 Strat-Talker

Trust me, the delta blues has spring reverb :)

Yeah I love the clean sound of the DRRI and it's better than that DB but the DB can get really close. I'll probably buy a DRRI someday too

14. BluesRock41

BluesRock41 Strat-Talker

Good to know about the speakers! Thanks!