Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Peavey Windsor vs Marshall JCM 2000 DSL100

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by cliffenstein, Sep 14, 2018.

1. cliffenstein

cliffenstein Strat-Talker

Dec 22, 2010
    Sandston, Virginia
    Here's a short iPhone comparison video I made for a friend. I think the Windsor holds up well.

2. sam_in_cali

sam_in_cali Scream for me Strat-Talk! Strat-Talk Supporter

Feb 21, 2014
    Santa Maria, CA
    Both sound great....the Marshall ultimately gets my vote for tone but the Peavey is way easier on the pocketbook!

I remember trying out one of the Windsor heads years ago and to my ears it was very reminiscent of a hot-rodded JCM800.

3. cliffenstein

Dec 22, 2010
    Sandston, Virginia
    My 1979 JMP 2204 was stolen out of my car. This Windsor is the closest thing I've ever heard to the same sound. I love the DSL...it's actually my main gigging amp.

4. carver

carver The East Coast Strangler Strat-Talk Supporter

for the price I see these amps going for

thats a good price to pay

last one I saw locally was the head and matching cab for 350 CDN. Thats like 11 dollars USD

sam_in_cali likes this.
  5. cliffenstein

Dec 22, 2010
    Sandston, Virginia
    haha...I wouldn't recommend the cab...it sound okay, but it's MDF construction. It's not hard to find an old Marshall 1960 cab on the cheap. the Windsor sounds excellent through those.

TheDuck likes this.
  6. carver

carver The East Coast Strangler Strat-Talk Supporter

yeah but for 350 canadian,... if you dont like the cab you still get the head and then come winter you can use the 4X12 as a wicked sled and go ripping down some snowy hills in the ultimate form of style

cliffenstein likes this.
  7. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Senior Stratmaster

Feb 27, 2018
    North Central NC
    How does the Peavey sound if you turn up the bass a little? I'd bet you could get it pretty close to the Marshall if you wanted to.

8. cliffenstein

Dec 22, 2010
    Sandston, Virginia
    EQ settings for both are Bass 3, Mid 4, Treb 3, Presence 3. Plenty of room to move there, so yes. The Windsor is very much an old school Marshall sound.

9. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Senior Stratmaster

Feb 27, 2018
    North Central NC
    The trouble is that the numbers on eq knobs aren't calibrated to any particular standard, so comparing amps with the knobs at the same numbers really isn't as meaningful (to me) as comparing amps after attempting to set the controls for a particular sound you're going for.

playit likes this.
  10. TheDuck

TheDuck Most Honored Senior Member

Jan 12, 2016
    Lil' Rhody
    I dont like the DSL for the same reason I dont like the JCM900, that ever present "notch" in the midrange.

If I had the choice, I'd take the Windsor.

11. cliffenstein

Dec 22, 2010
    Sandston, Virginia
    Get 'em both...neither are expensive. Have you ever used DSL red channel lead 1? For my money, that's where the amp's greatness is.

TheDuck likes this.
  12. TheDuck

TheDuck Most Honored Senior Member

Jan 12, 2016
    Lil' Rhody
    Im a Mesa guy, though I do have a soft spot for early run JCM800s and JTMs.

cliffenstein and carver like this.
  13. playit

playit Senior Stratmaster

Jul 14, 2014
    Germany
    I used a 2204 for years (really great amp, hard to beat and not the modern crunch but timeless goodie).
    A year ago I used a windsor when we opened a session night - I liked it and if I remember right the more you open the master volume and keep the gain deep the better it sounded.
    Remember : a JCM Marshall does not have tons of gain ..

cliffenstein likes this.
  14. wildschwein

wildschwein Strat-Talk Member

Aug 2, 2009
    Western Australia
    Windsor = save $; killer deal

Textele likes this.
  15. Textele

Textele Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Oct 10, 2009
    Texas
    Agreed.

An EQ pedal with the Windsor would probably stomp on the Marshall.

The issue with these two amps are both need to be pretty much, unbearably loud to sound proper IMO.

16. rudos1

rudos1 Senior Stratmaster

Aug 16, 2013
    Boston
    I had the Windsor and it was ok. I think for a one channel Marshall sound the Peavey Butcher was MUCH better. (the old ones not the reissues). They are now getting hard to find..

rocknrollrich likes this.
  17. rocknrollrich

rocknrollrich Senior Stratmaster

Jan 8, 2016
    philadelphia
    Yeah, i think people may be getting carried away a little bit. I doubt that the Windsor "stomps all over the Marshall ".

18. cliffenstein

Dec 22, 2010
    Sandston, Virginia
    Well, people who like a more old school Marshall tone could very well think that. My fingers playing my guitar going through my Windsor dialed in how I dial it in and connected to my 1985 JCM800 1960A cab loaded with original white label vented G12T75 speakers reminds me a TON of my 1979 JMP 2204 that was stolen out of my car after a gig some years back. It's a GREAT rig.

Now...these are actually my heads and I don't think the Windsor "stomps all over the" DSL at all. The Windsor gives me the cool old school sound and I love that. The DSL is more modern...it's wider, bigger and smoother. I use them both all the time and love them.

rocknrollrich likes this.
  19. rocknrollrich

rocknrollrich Senior Stratmaster

Jan 8, 2016
    philadelphia
    Yes. My comment wasn't really meant to disparage the peavey (I'm actually a fan of a lot of their stuff).
    I was just saying more or less, to be realistic about people's expectations.
    I don't think anything "stomps all over " the dsl. Better than.... sure according to preference. Stomps all over. ... not so much.

Disclaimer tho. I love the Marshall sound. I think even the "bad ones" sound pretty marshall "y".
    They did make some turkeys over the years, but for the most part, they have made some of my favorite amps of all time.

cliffenstein likes this.