Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Peavy amp find- how is it?

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by StratPlus97, Oct 2, 2017.

1. StratPlus97

StratPlus97 Strat-O-Master

Apr 7, 2016
    USA
    Just found this 5 minutes ago in a Savers. I know nothing about Peavy amps. It has a spring reverb tank which is pretty cool. I plugged it in and it turned on...that was it.
    12” speaker. 150 Watts...really? Ohhhhh boooooy

Any experience out there?

IMG_3076.JPG IMG_3075.JPG

s5tuart and ryunker like this.

2. JustABluesGuy

JustABluesGuy Strat-O-Master

Sep 3, 2016
    Houston, TX
    Congrats! Those old Peaveys have a following. How much did it set you back?

3. ryunker

ryunker Senior Stratmaster

Feb 18, 2014
    Crystal Lake, Il
    I have no clue, but i scored two peavey this weekend $10 each a 208 (2x8) chorus and a 2×12 special. All kinds of onboard effects and a crazy 7 wire foot switch.

Have not had even a second to even haul those heavy amps in the house. Even though they are not valve amps, i might have to hire hercules to bring them in.

Good luck on your new amp!

JustABluesGuy likes this.

4. StratPlus97

Apr 7, 2016
    USA
    Ended up being $16. I had a 20% off

The cleans are absolutely outstanding, but holy damn this thing is loud. I had her on 3 and she blew my ear drums out! Haha

5. StratPlus97

Apr 7, 2016
    USA
    Pretty sweet. How did you score those for that price?

6. jaybones

jaybones Most Honored Senior Member

I hear you on that.

I'm still playing through my TKO 115, 15" Black Widow speaker, 90 watts at about a pound a watt.

Also gigged extensively with a Stereo Chorus 400 twin that was 2X65 watts (talk about LOUD and heavy). Great lush chorus, 4 switch footswitch with one of those crazy multi-pin din plugs, nice cleans, decent distortion, parametric EQ's and a 3 spring reverb tank that was close to 3 feet long.

Upgraded those speakers from Scorpion to Black Widows, just because I knew where to get a pair that were fairly cheap. Don't know that it made that much difference, but I also took the B W equipped badge from my bass amp onto it so people who knew the amp would ask about it.

7. ryunker

ryunker Senior Stratmaster

Feb 18, 2014
    Crystal Lake, Il
    They were priced at $150 and $50. I asked about them, walked away and then dude come to me and said "ten bucks each, want em?" so I caved. right place and right time I guess.

s5tuart, JustABluesGuy and henderman like this.

8. StratPlus97

Apr 7, 2016
    USA
    Sounds like one really bad negotiator

henderman likes this.

9. rudos1

rudos1 Senior Stratmaster

Aug 16, 2013
    Boston
    Those are great amps especially if you use pedals for dirt. As you found out the cleans and reverb are excellent and they are bullet proof...

10. stratman in va

stratman in va Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 27, 2012
    Virginia
    I had a Special 130 years ago... extremely loud!! It made a pretty good sound for Metallica songs too.

As others said, most of these SS Peavey amps take pedals well. They are tough too!

11. TheDuck

TheDuck Senior Stratmaster

Jan 12, 2016
    Lil' Rhody
    @StratPlus97 -- That looks to be one of the last USA production Peaveys. :thumb:

You can toss that little bugger from a moving vehicle and it will still work like new. They are bullet proof and sound pretty good too.

Clean it up, give it some love and it will be with you for a very long time. Congrats!

12. BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid Senior Stratmaster

Oct 12, 2016
    US
    I had a Peavey Special back in my high school days. Sold it quite some time ago when I had stopped playing my electric. I didn't have much experience at the time, but I thought it was a great amp. Certainly loud enough!!

JustABluesGuy likes this.

13. Guitaraxe

Guitaraxe Strat-O-Master

Aug 22, 2015
    States