Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Pedal tone chasing....help

Discussion in 'The Effect effect' started by Jimi Lightning, Apr 13, 2018.

1. Jimi Lightning

Jimi Lightning Senior Stratmaster

Dec 21, 2016
    Ontario, Canada
    I am trying to nail down the 70s overdriven Strat/Marshall sound a la Jimi Hendrix as minimum into that sweet overdriven dirty blues edge of distortion sound..

I have tried an overdrive, boost and fuzz but no luck. ( in various orders) Both my Vox and my Peavy red Stripe are not co-operating...lol. I am picking up a Marshall shortly but need to figure out what to feed it....

Any suggestions on pedals And the order as I am going im circles. I have done the google thing and no luck on getting the sound based onnthose searches.

Thanks all.

2. Vjerilood

Vjerilood Senior Stratmaster

Jul 30, 2017
    USA
    A gas pedal in your car to escape the lynch mob of neighbors that will be after you when you turn your Marshall to 11.

3. heltershelton

heltershelton ASKED TO LEAVE THE STAGE Strat-Talk Supporter

Jun 5, 2013
    Not Florida
    I think you have to crank the amp.
    I can get the sound youre talking about when I crank my little ac4 and hook up my ocd pedal. its just a matter of messing with the knobs.

Nate D, The-Kid and Jimi Lightning like this.

4. Jimi Lightning

Dec 21, 2016
    Ontario, Canada
    Yuppers,thats the issue trying to get the sound without blowing out the windows.....lol I had it about halfway there a decade or so ago with a Narshall combo,dirt pedalvand an analouge delay. I can get metal sound at low volumes but cant get the oomph I am looking .

I wonder if an amp in a box pedal (Joyo makes some as do others) in the pedal chain might push it to where it needs to be.

5. mabley123

mabley123 Senior Stratmaster

Oct 21, 2010
    kentucky
    Metropoulos Superplex.

[​IMG]

Jimi Lightning likes this.

6. Raiders757

Raiders757 Senior Stratmaster

Sep 2, 2016
    Virginia
    Crank your amp and use a volume attenuator or a power soak of some sort to keep it at a decent level.

albala and Jimi Lightning like this.

7. coloradojeff

coloradojeff Strat-Talker

Mar 9, 2012
    Colorado
    I chased that same tone for years. Couldn't find it. I have a Marshall 30th Anniversary that is good...but it's too damn heavy and they're expensive. Recently I stumbled upon one of the new Fender Santa Ana Overdrive pedals. Gave me exactly what I wanted, even through my super clean Fender Amps.

8. Percy

Percy Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

9. Class A Knob

Class A Knob Strat-O-Master

Nov 25, 2017
    California
    Nailing Hendrix's tone is a billion dollar industry and so far only SRV has really come close

10. Jimi Lightning

Dec 21, 2016
    Ontario, Canada
    Thanks for the info so far. I realize that tone chasing is a very deep rabbit hole but.....I want that sound to fill my 70s heavy needs.:) Without spending a billion dollars and having to rattle the windows. Mrs Lightnin is tolerant but not that tolerant.....lol

Im going to checkmout the new Fender pedal online and see. Thanks @colaradojefff.

11. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Senior Stratmaster

Feb 8, 2011
    Raleigh NC
    You need a Plexi pedal. Wampler plexidrive or Carl Martin plexitone are both great.

12. Percy

Yes imo it is all about the Wallet....A 1964 Strat thru a 1959 tweed Bassman is near 50k Canadian....Who can spend that kinda dough on a guitar and amp!!!!!Not me!!!:thumbd:

13. Loth

Loth Strat-Talk Member

Mar 28, 2018
    West Chicagoland
    Look into Greer Pedals. Good pedals for pushing your amp but not taking diluting your sound. I use the Lightspeed cause I like light-mid dirt. They make a pedal called Ghetto Stomp that might be up your alley.

14. Sarnodude

Sarnodude Senior Stratmaster

Sep 26, 2015
    Mukilteo
    Do the Bassman re-issues sound like this amp?

15. Percy

I'd say no but i am no expert!!!!

16. The-Kid

The-Kid Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Feb 15, 2014
    SO CAL USA
    Just get a Fuzz Face.

And push the amp into overdrive.

Um there isnt much to it. Thats all really.

No need to blow windows out but yeah Fuzz Face.

What Fuzz are you using?

M

17. duzie

duzie Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

May 1, 2016
    northwest nj
    Robin Trower may disagree lol!
    Oh I forgot KWS, I think he can come pretty close to Jimi’s tone as well !

Triple Jim likes this.

18. Jimi Lightning

Dec 21, 2016
    Ontario, Canada
    Useing an Outlaw Fuzz. I have been looking at the Fuz Face as well.

19. Class A Knob

Class A Knob Strat-O-Master

Nov 25, 2017
    California
    Maybe so, but even if a handful also sound like him I think my original point still stands....it ain't easy and stepping on a metal box isn't enough.

duzie likes this.

20. Jimi Lightning

Dec 21, 2016
    Ontario, Canada
    Point taken. There is a multltude of things reauird to sound like ANY artist, guitar, strings, plectrum, amp, effects, cable , there incredible talent , etc, and age of the previous items. You are correct.:)

However a mere mortal can get as close as they can by emulating some of the aforementioned conditions. Will I nail it,absolutely not. Will I eventually get close enough for these ears to out a smile on my face, sure hope so.

Someone inspires us to play and we strive to sound like them as best we can. Besides we are all pretty much gearheads and love to play with new toys.....lol
    Thanks all for the input so far. I have some great info so far.:thumb:

Class A Knob likes this.