Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Pickup help

Discussion in 'Pickup Forum' started by Gilmourfan75, Dec 8, 2018.

1. Gilmourfan75

Gilmourfan75 Senior Stratmaster

Jan 28, 2013
    myrtle beach via ny
    Hello
    I bought a loaded guard from 920d. Had them put an area 58 at the neck and mid, and a Dimarzio chopper in the bridge. All pots are 250k, and I had them put a split for the bridge.

Got it installed ... but the bridge chopper isn’t working right. In normal position there’s barely and sound , when I pull the knob out to split it has full sound, but like a normal single coil. Not knowing much about this stuff other than how to install, and considering the chopper isn’t really a full humbucker... is the decision to have a split coil what could be causing this? All I have on hand is a 500k pot at the moment if I need to change it. I would figure that they would have let me know if this wouldn’t work right when I ordered it, but something isn’t right.

2. jball85

jball85 Strat-Talker

Mar 16, 2014
    East Texas
    If you have a digital multimeter you can at least check the dcr to see if its up to snuff when split and full on. It should be around 9.16k full power, and somewhere around half that in split mode. Other than that try to take some clear pictures of your wiring and post them up, so you can have multiple sets of eyeballs looking for possible faults.

Gilmourfan75 likes this.
  3. Guy Named Sue

Guy Named Sue Beer me up Scotty Strat-Talk Supporter

Feb 11, 2015
    Terra Incognito
    Isn't the black wire on that supposed to be ground, you've connected it to the switch?

Gilmourfan75 likes this.
  4. Gilmourfan75

Jan 28, 2013
    myrtle beach via ny
    I just soldered the body and trem grounds to the middle pot as always,and the 2 wires to the out put jack. Everything else came as is.

5. Guy Named Sue

Feb 11, 2015
    Terra Incognito
    I could be wrong, I can't find a freaking wiring scheme for this anymore not even on their freaking website, how can that be?

The black isn't ground I mistoke it for Seymour. But on Dimarzio the black and wite are together in a black tube, I've seen it both on chopper T and Strat model so maybe that's where you went wrong.
    images.jpeg

6. jball85

jball85 Strat-Talker

Mar 16, 2014
    East Texas
    ^^^^what he said^^^^

I would contact 920D, but from what I've seen on the Dimarzio diagrams, white and black run to the switch and red is hot. However, I could be wrong. Although they recommend a 500k volume with that pickup, I don't think that's the problem. Below is Dimarzio's four conductor switch wiring diagrams.

If you can solder it shouldn't be hard to fix, but I assume you spent good money on that pickguard, so 920D should help you out if it came wired like that from them.

Attached Files:

7. Gilmourfan75

Jan 28, 2013
    myrtle beach via ny
    Thanks for the help! It looks like they have just black going to the switch, red and white wired to the pot with the tap and green soldered directly to the casing of the volume pot. With the green that’s soldered to the pot it looks like it’s twisted with an uncovered metal wire also

8. Gilmourfan75

Jan 28, 2013
    myrtle beach via ny
    If I were to try to fix myself , would I just need to move the white wire to the 5 way instead of the pot?

9. Guy Named Sue

Feb 11, 2015
    Terra Incognito

Wait am I seeing clearly, have you soldered the bridge directly to the push pull and not to the five way?

What you should do is solder all the pickups just like a regular set, then you put a jumper from bridge and one from neck and connect them to the push pull.

That way they're active in the five way and activate when you use the push pull.

As I see it your white and black should be together in a plastic tube not soldered to any switch, the green is ground and your red soldered to five way.

Gilmourfan75 likes this.
  10. Gilmourfan75

Jan 28, 2013
    myrtle beach via ny
    I’m not too versed in this stuff, I just know how to install the preloaded(body and trem ground and output jack) everything else is how it came from 920d. Hoping it’s just a simple one wire mistake from them lol, but I can always send it back . The neck and middle seem to work fine , but the bridge only works when the push pull is pulled up. Only thing I can think is that the black and white wires were supposed to be together to the 5 way? Instead of both the red and white to the pot.

11. Guy Named Sue

Feb 11, 2015
    Terra Incognito
    No no, look at the picture below, twist the white and black together and the tape them, let them hang loose.

The red gets soldered not to your push pull but to the five way switch.

Then you solder an extra wire from bridge position on the five way to your push pull and one from neck position to your push pull.

You've been getting the bridge like that because you've soldered it to the push pull and not the five way.

The pic is of dimarzio chopper T so it's the same wiring as yours.

Your new neck position is fine so don't touch that one, they've already connected that from five way to push pull, all you need to is what I wrote but just concerning the bridge pickup

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
    Teleplayer likes this.
  12. Guy Named Sue

Feb 11, 2015
    Terra Incognito
    What you need, and I'm guessing you don't have it at home, is some 22 awg cloth wire to connect your switch positions to the push pull. Search for 22 awg cloth wire and you shall find some where close by.

s-l300.jpg

Gilmourfan75 likes this.
  13. Gilmourfan75

Jan 28, 2013
    myrtle beach via ny
    Thanks! I’m gonna call the local music store to see if they have any. All I have is 16guage electric wire from Home Depot. At worst, I have another pickguard that has enough slack on the output wires to borrow a little(not cloth though)

Guy Named Sue likes this.
  14. Teleplayer

Teleplayer Strat-O-Master

May 29, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    For Dimarzio chopper normally black and white are wired to the coil tap switch, red is hot, and green is ground. thats what GNS wrote and he is 100% right.

Unfortunately there is a second mistake in the wiring you will also need to fix. the Area 58 pickups are wired for Fender style guitar installation. They will be out of phase with the chopper, so you won't get proper sound in (middle+bridge) position 2. The wires for the area 58 should be swapped over so green goes to the 5 way blade and red goes to ground. Yep, that's opposite to the chopper in the bridge position!

Gilmourfan75 and Guy Named Sue like this.
  15. Guy Named Sue

Feb 11, 2015
    Terra Incognito
    You're right about that!

16. Gilmourfan75

Jan 28, 2013
    myrtle beach via ny
    IMG_0806.JPG ok, so I detached the white and black and will tape them off(those are not needed?). I soldered the red hot to the 5 way where they had the black one . Now for the dumb question... which tab on the 5 way do I use to go to the pot .. and also which tab on the pot?

Really appreciate the help... took them 2 weeks to build and send so I’m hoping to not have to send it back.

17. Guy Named Sue

Feb 11, 2015
    Terra Incognito
    No those aren't needed here, those are used to split the pickup.

You solder a wire to the exact spot where your hot wire from bridge, red one, is attached on the five way and you solder that to the pot.

Also what @Teleplayer said about your neck pickup so they won't be out of phase.

18. Gilmourfan75

Jan 28, 2013
    myrtle beach via ny
    Looks like they didn’t leave me a enough slack on the green to make that switch.

19. Guy Named Sue

Feb 11, 2015
    Terra Incognito
    Easy to fix, when you get some extra awg 22 wire, cut some off and solder it to the green one and then solder the other end to the switch. Don't cut the red short, leave it be in case it will be used differently in the future.
    ts0100step01.jpg

Gilmourfan75 likes this.