Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Pignose G40V question

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by StratPlus97, Aug 8, 2018.

1. StratPlus97

StratPlus97 Senior Stratmaster

Apr 7, 2016
    USA
    Is this amp self biasing?

Thanks!

2. lammie200

lammie200 Strat-O-Master

Apr 25, 2016
    San Francisco
    The one that I had was self hissing and humming. Glad that I got rid of it. Hopefully you have better luck.

nuculer terrist and Groovey like this.

3. Robins

Robins Dr. von Loudster Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 22, 2010
    Germany
    It is not self biasing.
    Sadly it has no bias pot installed. You have to change the bias by changing the bias resistor or soldering in a resistor and a pot to make it adjustable.
    It is biased on the cold side. Probably you can put in whatever tubes you want as long as they are matched and in the specs.

All the best,
    Robin

4. Stevem

Stevem Strat-O-Master

Sep 3, 2014
    NY
    They are a tad noisy and hissy in stock form , but they are not the worst in that regard and you can do a bunch to get the hum level down and with just a 1 15 cent resistor change and a swap to a 12At7 for V2 have a far better blues amp !

Try out the hiss level in pink taco amp some time and then tell me what you think of the Pig nose then!
    It's almost impossible to get a clean sound out of one of these Taco amps above 7 watts of output!!
    I bypassed a gain stage out of one for a guy just this spring!

By the way even with a very strong pair of output tubes these amps output only 32 watts of clean power, not 40.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018

5. StratPlus97

StratPlus97 Senior Stratmaster

Apr 7, 2016
    USA
    Really, wow. Mine is surprisingly quiet. I can’t get much of a clean sound out of it but man can it scream.

6. Stevem

Stevem Strat-O-Master

Sep 3, 2014
    NY
    If you have not got some noise then you likley have not got the preamp gain you should either and your early distortion is from weak output tubes .