Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Played in front of a group for the first time and.... I stunk haha

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Matt33, Sep 7, 2017.

1. ChaplainMike

ChaplainMike Strat-Talker

May 30, 2017
    Okinawa
    That sounds like a really cool program! Good on ya for having the guts to put yourself out there.

2. Ronnie12460

Ronnie12460 Strat-Talker

Mar 19, 2014
    Abilene, Texas
    I hope you notice that nobody here is gonna chuckle at you. Congratulations to you and l hope you kill it next time

3. conehead

conehead Strat-Talker

Apr 12, 2017
    way out there
    Don't feel bad.
    My first public appearance as a guitar player (I started gigging on bass) featured a long and loud solo...in a key completely unrelated to the song being played. In far less hospitable environment, too.

4. radd

radd Strat-O-Master

Jun 2, 2016
    Santa cruz
    What worked for me was alcohol, lots of it. No, not for me, for the audience. When the audience was liquored up, I was great. When they were sober, I was not so great.

As for your first performance, well done, ya did it and that is what counts.

5. otto6457

otto6457 Strat-O-Master

Congrats man. You're a hundred miles ahead of me and I've been playing for over 3 years. I've tried to perform at the monthly performance classes that my teacher holds. It's all levels and ages, from five and six year old kids to college age Classical and Jazz students from his classes out at Tech. I have never managed to finish a song. I freeze up and go completely blank. I can't remember any of the notes, and even if I could, my fingers are no longer connected to my brain. Even with prompting from my teacher, or him playing along, I can't do it. I'm probably overwhelmingly self conscious. But, it is what it is. I can play the song in the practice studio in front of my teacher with little difficulty just minutes before the performance class begins. Once I walk to the front of the room and begin to play....it's all over. The last time I tried, I managed 2 bars of Kenny Wayne Sheppard's, "Electric Lullaby". Poof....it was all gone. Completely vanished. It was like I had never even heard the song before

I have completely given up on ever playing in front of people. It's just me and my bedroom walls.

Tim S likes this.

6. Uncle Jimmy

Uncle Jimmy Senior Stratmaster

Aug 22, 2011
    Connecticut
    Full speed ahead! Lots of great advice above, so I won't repeat it. There's a concert video of the tribute to Stevie Ray Vaughn, showcasing a great thing you can do when you freeze. I forget what song it was, but Jimmy Vaughn hit one single note that lasted right through the whole progression. Mess around with your amp and whatever distortion you might use until you can replicate it.

And I'm not sure who said it first, when you make a mistake, do it again so everyone thinks it's on purpose.

I am only half kidding.

7. Bluestrat83

Bluestrat83 Strat-O-Master

Jan 17, 2016
    Ecuador
    I say that the best way to learn is to hang with musicians better than you.
    If playing live in front of people is an issue I have an advice: do it more! Maybe you'll fell nervous the first 10, 20 or 30 jams but with time you'll feel comfortable. Go to every jam session you can and hang out with musicians because even if they think you suck there are good people who will be willing to teach you or give advice.

In some point you have to know there's people out there than can think or even say that you suck but if after that they're willing to help you in any way you have scored a musical friend and those are the guys you want to be around so don't be afraid to hear it as it is. You'll soon notice when things come from a big ego or from a big heart.

Good luck!

8. MIJ STRAT

MIJ STRAT Strat-Talker

Jun 24, 2009
    England
    You got up and played in front of people, that's what it's all about!

Mansonienne likes this.

9. Believer7713

Believer7713 Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Dec 27, 2016
    US
    My most embarrassing moment in front of others was when I was in college as a music major. I sang first tenor in the men's quartet and we had our third music concert of that semester. As we were rehearsing for the concert all four of us were having trouble with memorizing 6 songs in a short amount of time so we asked to stage the music on top of the piano so we could reference it when needed but the teacher wasn't having any of it. On the second song, Music of the Night from Andrew Lloyd Weber's Phantom of the Opera, we made it through the first two verses with no issues then at the beginning of the third verse I drew a complete blank and just stood there in a panic trying to remember the lyrics and trying not to lose it in front of about 360 people. All the while the teacher, who was accompanying us on the piano, was getting madder and madder at me because she said I didn't prepare enough for the show. I survived the rest of the concert but was really upset about it and even got into a big argument with the teacher about it backstage while another group was performing.
    Afterward when we had to go out and meet and greet with the audience I was given more compliments and attaboys than I think I had ever gotten to that point. Everyone seemed to be very understanding and sympathetic...except for that teacher who ended up giving me a C for that performance which dropped my overall grade from an A to a B. When it comes down to it, it's all about the experience and not what the others think so much...even if you don't do as well as you think you should have remember that you did anyway and you have done something that somebody else either couldn't have or wouldn't have done.

10. xland

xland Senior Stratmaster

Oct 5, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Well, in one respect you are far ahead of me in your guitar journey. Congratulations on getting out there and playing with and in front of others. :thumb:

I've been playing for 3+ years and I have never played out with others. I don't mind practicing and playing alone but I definitely want to eventually get out and play with others. My confidence in my playing is not very high. Playing with others is VERY intimidating but someday I will.

So congratulations on putting yourself out there and as others have said, it more than likely was not as bad as you think. We are all our own worst critic.

The bottom line for all of us is to just have fun, that's what it's all about. Enjoy the journey!!

11. henderman

henderman Most Honored Senior Member

Dec 4, 2013
    largo,fl
    I did not read all the responses so sorry if I am a copy cat.

Repetition is the Mother of skill and a journey of 1000 miles begins with a single step.

You are already doing the right thing by stepping into the arena and trying, so you are awesome.

You just gotta keep going forward and we will soon be asking you for lessons !

12. BuddyGuy

BuddyGuy Strat-Talker

Sep 8, 2017
    Cleveland
    At least you had the balls to do it. There is a school of rock near me. They do something similar. I avoid it like the plague cuz I am that bad. If you heard me solo you'd gently take my guitar from me and say, "That's enough!"

Believer7713 likes this.

13. jaybones

jaybones Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

I hear you.

When I've gotten stage fright I usually fall back on the most basic pentatonic licks I always remember.

Bends up to and pull offs to the root, or simple stuff like that.

14. Vjerilood

Vjerilood Senior Stratmaster

Jul 30, 2017
    USA
    Yeah, something people forget, this is hard!

15. Vjerilood

Vjerilood Senior Stratmaster

Jul 30, 2017
    USA
    Don't chase it, let it come to you.

16. problem-child

problem-child Senior Stratmaster

Aug 28, 2008
    Left Coast, USA
    First congratz! Second, don't stress. Playing with other people is way different than playing along to tracks.

I have been playing for 40 years (though you couldn't tell by my playing) and I have played living rooms, churches, bars, and outdoor gigs. After taking a break for about ten years (from playing with other people) I played a handful of gigs with a group, and on one occasion I completely missed a a wha peddle rhythm section of a song in front of about 200 people. I knew it was there but just lost the timing so I skipped it... Oh well. Things happen.

One thing I've done before is when it comes to your solo (blues) and you just aren't feeling it grab a note and hang on. Just nail that one note bend to the appropriate place and milk it for all it's worth. I've had to do this a couple of times and the funny thing is on each occasion I've had other band members complement my choice afterward... weird huh?

Keep going, you're doing it right.

17. Doghouse_Riley

Doghouse_Riley Strat-Talker

Mar 9, 2017
    L.A.
    2 things:

1) Playing with people that are better musicians than you is a great way to improve your musicianship.

2) Now you've stunk up an audition. Great. You got that behind you now. (and any musician that has been around the block a few times has stunk up an audition or 3). Believe me, there will be plenty more ways for you to humiliate yourself in public. You haven't played out live yet. The thing is, the more you put yourself out there the more chances there are to mess up. But then again, there's more opportunity to shine and that's why performers perform. We risk the humiliation for those chances to shine.

BallisticSquid and Dynamic D like this.

18. Dynamic D

Dynamic D Strat-Talk Member

Sep 3, 2017
    Scranton Pa
    That's so cool. I'd love to play with other players and stink.(just to play with anyone) I've recently got a looper. I mean. I have the stink part down pat!!! I remember we(my buddies and I were auditioning for another guitar player and we went to this guys house, who'd answered our ad. The first thing he played was "Cliffs of Dover". He played it absolutely perfectly. Then comes my turn to jam with him and the band. I couldn't fret a chord, if my life depended on it. He was only 16 and awesome on the guitar. I put my head down in shame and I just looked at my band mates and said we'll let you know. We grew to become very good friends. Haha. Still remember that day, like was yesterday. Wouldn't trade it though.

19. Dynamic D

Dynamic D Strat-Talk Member

Sep 3, 2017
    Scranton Pa
    Well said.

20. techowiz

techowiz Strat-Talker

Nov 7, 2013
    NY
    4 P's- passion, persistence, perseverance & patience.