Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

playing a little bit of jazz

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by montemerrick, Feb 19, 2018.

Tags:
  1. montemerrick

montemerrick spiritual birthday, April 1 Strat-Talk Supporter

i was thinking about jazz - i think about it a lot - and thought it might be nice to have a thread dedicated to playing some, with or without backing tracks, and discussion of technique and theory as wanted... the idea is to be a supportive environment for those who love the music and have interest in playing it... i'm a very novice jazz player - hell, i've been goofing around with guitars for close to 40 years and i'm a novice guitarist period (as those who've heard me play can testify...)

in any case, while i exert no control over this thread once i post it, i hope that it doesn't attract a bunch of naysayers etc... if you don't dig jazz that's cool, but please don't yuck this thread's yum...

and that said

here's a tune i think about a lot... written by Bobby Womack, first arranged by Womack and Gabor Szabo on Szabo's 1971 release High Contrast, the tune was turned into a megahit by George Benson in 1976...

so Womack, Szabo and Benson - that's three mighty fine guitar players famously associated with this tune:

here's a backing track:

2. rolandson

rolandson Most Honored Senior Member

I often think of jazz as blues with a lot of ∆7 (major 7th) and m6 (minor 6th)...simplistic, but it keeps me honest.

The-Kid, alderre, Nate D and 3 others like this.
  3. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Great tune. May have to put in effort and try to learn it. It's jazzy enough for boyo, funky enough for the both of us.

montemerrick likes this.
  4. fezz parka

fezz parka Duke of DILLIGAF Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2011
    Right behind you...
    I think of jazz as harmonically sophisticated chord progressions, circle progressions, and moving key centers. I think of beautiful melodies played, turned upside down for the solo sections, then returning back to the beautiful melodies played at the head.

I think of music that makes me think...that takes me on a journey with a guide who has an excellent vocabulary who can deliver a sonic painting. Like apricot tips in an indigo sky. Points if you know who wrote that. The guy is as jazz as it gets. FWIW so is Dylan. :)

Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
  5. dogletnoir

dogletnoir WBLV Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 1, 2013
    northeastern us
    'Jazz' is so many different things...

... which is one of the things that keeps it interesting and alive.
    i guess i'll be spending some time hanging around here. :)

6. fezz parka

Apr 21, 2011
    Right behind you...

But in the spirit of the thread, this is a tune I wrote for Monte. It is a ii°/V/i, with a V#9/Vb9 for some gypsy flava.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
    Percy, Yves, Folk_Hogan and 6 others like this.
  7. CigBurn

CigBurn Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jun 22, 2014
    Same Shed Different Day
    I love Breezin, though I don't really play it what you'd call well. I did do a recording of it about a year ago though. Hold your nose :)

Yves, rolandson, Thrup'ny Bit and 4 others like this.
  8. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

9. rolandson

rolandson Most Honored Senior Member

I steal things.
    But never from other guitar players. Okay, almost never.
    Everything @fezz parka offered is gospel. Well spoken too. (Been loving Rosie a long long time.)

I think my favorite, just for listening and getting lost in, is Bill Evans. So I steal everything I can from him. I'll loop a cliché of his and try to master it's feel and flavor...on guitar. It's hard for me to cop from piano and I very rarely get it right...but it's fun and keeps me out of trouble.

Past few days I've been fooling with the theme of BBCs Worricker Trilogy... beautiful piano reminiscent of Summertime.

And brings me to where this long winded piece was intended to go.

Steal things! When piano gets too much, there's always horn players... they make it easy.

And all one need do is get lost in listening.

10. montemerrick

great guitar playing as always... so that bass is because 8 strings? and the drums are made by you in a DAW? i love the the stuff you play that you call trip hop and neofusion - 90s triphop was a few of my favorite things, and i love your 21st century soon to be '20s approach... i'll admit its hard for me to separate each thing you're doing on guitar, how many layers and all, but the central moving line is beautiful.

dogletnoir likes this.
  11. montemerrick

i dig that ii* V i --- i've been practicing ii V I arpeggios (not using arpeggios yet in any truly deliberate meaningful manner since i gave up tunings lol)... a kind of difficult (for me) simplicity!

rolandson and fezz parka like this.
  12. montemerrick

Your Santana vibe is a very credible way to enter this tune I think... if I had a Santana vibe to deploy, I'd do it here for sure! I notice and admire how much you stay with the tune... I was looking at the lead sheet and the Bobby Womack is so easy to see written down - the changes have a very laid back feel and riding the line betwixt the soul and the funk. I love George Benson's playing a lot, but i find the Womack/Szabo version to be less "corny" but that's more to do with the mid-late 70s electrosoftflutationalfluffypants effects that had such a short life span BITD that are on the Benson version... I love Disco but the fake pretty stuff it made de rigueur for a minute across a lot of other genres i can live without... oh yeah speaking of Santana!

13. mjark

mjark Senior Stratmaster

Jul 15, 2015
    Maryland
    So it's mainly I vi ii V and a nice progression to play the D major scale.

14. fezz parka

Apr 21, 2011
    Right behind you...
    Rhythm changes strikes again! :)

davidKOS, montemerrick and mjark like this.
  15. montemerrick

yeah i fell out of the Mickey Baker for a little while, but had to face facts... he is the 'droid i'm looking for

dogletnoir and davidKOS like this.
  16. fezz parka

Apr 21, 2011
    Right behind you...
    Yes he is. But for the most part, just look at the circle progressions. Every tune in the world is there. :)

dogletnoir and montemerrick like this.
  17. davidKOS

davidKOS Musician, Composer, Teacher Strat-Talk Supporter

May 28, 2012
    California
    So y'all got around to stuff like "Breezin' ", huh? Love it.

That's one of my "call tunes" when I need something easy to play (well, not like GB) and fun and appealing to folks that aren't necessarily jazz fans.

Yes it's a way to play D major. But also a way to use chromatic accidentals to temporarily alter the scale/mode/chord, and thereby make it more like that fezz parka definition of jazz.

Now to that comment.

As a native of New Orleans, I think of jazz as "folk music of my village".

It's also the music of New York, Chicago, Kansas City, Philly, Detroit, LA, SF, and so on - America's great musical art form.

It's bebop and dixie, modern and swing, Gypsy and fusion, lounge lizard and hipster, and so on.

"harmonically sophisticated chord progressions, circle progressions, and moving key centers."

Indeed, this is the warp and woof of jazz.

But even simple melodies can be jazzed up, and as such to me the essence of jazz is swing and improvisation.

Does it swing? (or rock, funk, salsa, or whatever the basic GROOVE is)

Do you make it up during solos and other sections of music?

The answer has to be yes for me to accept it as jazz.

By my definition, some stuff that is called jazz ain't. And stuff like certain Bill Monroe, Western Swing (as in Country and Western), some Hawaiian music, is jazz, at least of a sort.

That's the topic of another long and complex discussion.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
  18. carver

carver The East Coast Strangler Strat-Talk Supporter

who is Tom Waites for 200

montemerrick and fezz parka like this.
  19. Highway Star

Highway Star Former Member

Apr 22, 2016
    Who knows?
    Looks like funky jazz fusion is on the menu. Here is a tune so funky your hair will grow big just by listening to the first bars :D.

qblue, Electgumbo, Yves and 3 others like this.
  20. montemerrick

well, by all means stretch out when and if you feel like it... as discussions go, it'd be a good one I'm sure.

davidKOS likes this.