Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Please help me choose fretboard.... :(

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Athanasios, Oct 11, 2018 at 1:50 AM.

1. Athanasios

Athanasios Strat-O-Master

Mar 23, 2018
    Greece
    Remember the strat i couldnt bond with and sold?It was returned to me because it had a slight neck warp so i returned it to the shop for another one.The shop spent some time but verified the warp.
    Now my choises are either another one MIM or a player series.
    But i want HSS and the choices are narrower
    Either the standard with rosewood(with a slight fret wear due to being exhibition model for 3.5 years and probably the guys at the shop played the hell out of it...)
    Or aPlayer with pau ferro( which i dont like)
    Or a maple Player
    The player seems better meaning alnico ii humbucker which is more vintagy and midrangey as i like for my old metal tracks plus the 2 point trem seems to be more divebomb steady
    Noe the question is...tone wise i dont care for the wood.
    But all my heroes Maiden Priest Armored Saint Overkill Exodus ) when they first came on stage had modified maple strats
    Then they went to rosewood
    I kind of feel safer look wise with a rosewood board but maple looks great on stage or even on the stand
    Can you tell me.the playability pros for a maple fretboard since i ve never played one for say one hour straight?
    What would you get?

2. Yves

Yves Senior Stratmaster

Jan 2, 2016
    London
    Stop tormenting your mind that way, and be your own hero and choose what works for You!

Athanasios likes this.

3. ProSonicLive

ProSonicLive Senior Stratmaster

Sep 4, 2016
    Texas
    Id go maple. No cleaning products besides water, no fretboard conditioning. Player strats are great aside from their pup choices (imho) But mostly everyone I know EVENTUALLY changes out the humbucker that comes stock in just about every HSS.
    That being the case, why not get the standard, install a humbuckers and some locking tuners. You get your rosewood board, You do what you were likely to do anyway and replace the SC for a HB.
    Now you might like the vintage tuners the players come with and decide to keep them and decide to even keep the HB. maple is still awesome and nothing is lost. a player strat is worth a bit more than a standard MIM.
    So you are pretty safe going with either.

4. ryunker

ryunker Senior Stratmaster

Feb 18, 2014
    Crystal Lake, Il
    I purchased a new maple American strat earlier in the year, after a few months it was a great guitar, but felt icky playing it. It had to go.

I have an admiration for rosewood fretboard.

Last night I was gassing over a new duo-sonic for $299, but the pau ferro fret board stopped me.

Good luck on your quest.

5. Martins Strat

Martins Strat Strat-Talker

Jul 28, 2018
    UK
    If you can, go and play some guitars without looking at the specs, body / fretboard woods, radius’s, paint finishes etc etc. Buy the one you fall in love with and can afford.

Rosewood, maple or Pau Ferro doesn’t matter, it’s what you get enjoyment out of that counts.

Smylight, Rastus and Guy Named Sue like this.

6. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Get the one that feels best to you. Nothing else matters.