Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Please Tell me what I did wrong wiring this G&L

Discussion in 'Other Guitar Discussion' started by TomH8, Dec 29, 2017.

1. TomH8

TomH8 Strat-O-Master

May 1, 2014
    USA
    ill attach pics. I’ve never experienced this brass plate thing. The pickups test out fine when I measure from their own leads, but nothing when I measure out from a cable out of the jack. Not sure what’s going on. Just trying to put back in the original pickups. It had emgs in it and the guy kept the originals and pots and jack separate.

2. TomH8

TomH8 Strat-O-Master

May 1, 2014
    USA
  3. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Squier-A-Holic Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 19, 2014
    Windsor, Ontario, Canada
  4. GunMonkeyINTL

GunMonkeyINTL Senior Stratmaster

Feb 5, 2015
    NC
    It looks like he’s got the signal wire to the tip lug, and the ground wire to the sleeve lug, like it’s supposed to be. I could be wrong, but it looks like he has that right.

I don’t see, either in the diagram or your photos, where you’ve got the pots or pickups connected to the common ground. The diagram appears to be missing a connection between the ground-gathering on the volume pot down to one of the brass grounding plates, or directly to the sleeve lug on the jack.

Also, you’ve got some cold looking joints in there. For one, the wire from the sleeve lug looks like it just has a blob of solder laying on the ground plate.

I’d reflow any joints that look cold, and, then, if you have a DMM, check continuity between the case of the volume pot, and the sleeve lug of the jack- I don’t think you’re going to find continuity there.

If you don’t have continuity between those points, add a ground wire connecting the shared ground of the volume pot to one of the brass plate connections or directly to the jack sleeve.

Civilaggie06 likes this.
  5. TomH8

TomH8 Strat-O-Master

May 1, 2014
    USA
    Thanks for the reply. When I test the ground of each pickup on top of the volume pot to the hot wire on the jack I get a reading. Not sure what the problem could be. I’ve resoldered the ground from the jack to the plate. Are you saying I should add a ground from one of the pots to the plate also?

6. TomH8

TomH8 Strat-O-Master

May 1, 2014
    USA
    I re-read that and wired it up now you said and it works perfect! Thanks!

Civilaggie06 and GunMonkeyINTL like this.
  7. GunMonkeyINTL

Feb 5, 2015
    NC
    Sweet!

TomH8 likes this.
  8. GunMonkeyINTL

Feb 5, 2015
    NC
    You were getting a good reading when you checked between the jack tip lug, and the pickup “ground” on the volume pot because that was a complete circuit. Since the signal “hot” was connected to the jack, and, when you put your common probe on the volume pot case, you basically short-cut the ground.

A good trouble shooting procedure is to start by checking at “the business end”- in this case, the tip and sleeve lugs on the jack. If that’s no bueno, step your test points backward one step at a time until you get to a good reading. Then you know where your break is.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
    bassetman and TomH8 like this.