Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Possible 1962 Strat I Burgundy mist? Help confirming

Discussion in 'Pre-CBS Strats (before 1966)' started by TheLars, Oct 9, 2018.

1. amstratnut

amstratnut Peace thru Music. Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 1, 2009
    My house.
    Dumb question. Did they do burgundy mist back then?

2. sensei

sensei Strat-Talker Gold Member

Jul 5, 2011
    Milano, Italy
    yes, they did.

amstratnut likes this.

3. TheLars

TheLars Strat-Talk Member

Oct 9, 2018
    Sweden
    Yes I believe Burgundy was available between 1960-65

amstratnut likes this.

4. Mipstoo

Mipstoo Senior Stratmaster

Mar 18, 2013
    Rockingham Palace
    @TheLars as much as you probably really want the guitar, please listen to the sound advice most are giving here and in the previous thread.
    Even if it’s your father-in-law’s old bandmate, there are things about the guitar that don’t add up.
    Maybe his bandmate bought it thinking it was a vintage guitar but there are things that definitely show it isn’t what it is pretended to be.
    Steer away, wait for another good opportunity

5. Bazz Jass

Bazz Jass Chairman of the Fingerboard Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 19, 2014
    Up a lazy river
    Yep, heed our warnings young man! If it's priced similarly to verified vintage examples, buy a verified example.

If it's priced a lot less, there's a good reason for that. In fact, looking at the photos, many good reasons.

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.

6. TheLars

Oct 9, 2018
    Sweden

Thanks guys for the advice and your wise words:). Yes you're probably right.. sometimes you really wish it is something else. But if the price is right I'm prepared to buy it because its sounds amazing and I love the neck. Better than any customshop I've tried. Except for Jeff becks esquire customshop I tried.. that was the best guitar ever.
    If I buy it I will update you:) Thanks again very much:)

7. sikoniko

sikoniko Strat-O-Master

It appears there are vintage parts here. The date on the neck has been changed, but I think it is possible it is a vintage neck. One would need to see it in person to be certain.

If you like the guitar and you can negotiate a good price, I say go for it. The question of value is TBD. So what are the parts worth? I recommend you get a professional opinion with an in-hand inspection. The body is definitely not right and the volume pot has been replaced. I think there was another thread that identified the saddles were new. I can't see the switch well enough to know anything about it.

I think the real question here is whether the neck is vintage. If it is, they (slab board) go for between $3k-$5k, depending on condition and buyer/seller. If the pickups are original, they sell between $2k-$3k, and the two pots and cap would probably sell for $600. If the knobs, pickup covers, and trem cover is original, they probably go for $400-$500 as a set. The pickguard has no value to me because of the modification. Trem with repro saddles can go anywhere between $500-$800.

So that is what it could maybe be parted out as. I all of those parts are vintage someone might get as much as $5k for it. It might be a cool neck and if you can get a good deal on the neck, as I said if it checks out, it might be worth it.

If all the parts are vintage that I mentioned, I would offer $3k and see what the seller says back. Depending on how much I loved the neck and how much disposable cash I had at the time would depend on the max I would be willing to negotiate. As I said, neck and pickups would probably sell for >$5k as parts if are vintage.

So if you are itching to spend the money, keep in mind that you should not spend more than that, if all checks out. You can get an all original 66-69 for < $10k. That would be money better spent.

Guy Named Sue likes this.

8. Fretmeltkid

Fretmeltkid Strat-Talker

Feb 10, 2018
    United Kingdom
    I still dont get why the pics are always of the wrong bits!!!!
    wise up guys................
    a vintage US neck is easy to spot if we get to see the right bits
    a fake is easy to replicate if we dont follow the rules

9. TheLars

Oct 9, 2018
    Sweden
    Give me instructions on what bits you need to see and I will take pictures of it:)

10. smiked1

smiked1 New Member!

Oct 4, 2018
    Philadelphia, PA
    Just to get back to the original question. Whether it's a Fender body or not, it appears the burgundy mist color is not the original finish. If it is a real body, it doesn't matter if it was burgundy mist or not. I've had some guitars that were originally burgundy mist, but had been refinned. It doesn't seem to matter if you refinish it in the original color or not. Once it's a refin, it's just a refin. If you're planning on keeping it, paint it whatever color you like. Based on my experience selling refins, if you're planning on flipping it in England paint it red. Anywhere else on the globe, paint it black.

11. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

May 21, 2010
    Sheffield, UK
    It wouldn't matter what colour you painted it, it still wouldn't pass muster here.

sikoniko and smiked1 like this.