Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Possibly a re-run of an old post, but it's not like it's busy in here. Reverb

Discussion in 'Home Recording Studio' started by Dadocaster, Apr 23, 2018.

1. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

In my years here, the sagacious ST folks have taken me from using my DAW as just a glorified Portastudio to having some clues regarding audio production. After frantically looking up and researching the things that are being discussed, I now have a plan and even an actual template for mixing the things I record. Busses and effects channels and parallel compression and this and that are all there. I can kinda sorta eq and compress and get relative levels set but I still don't really have a plan/approach/method for:

Reverb

I think I do OK if I am picking out a reverb for a particular track but I struggle trying to figure out what stuff to put in the same space and which need their own space, and whether or not the whole mix needs a space and so forth.

Interested in your approaches, starting points, general ideas. The stuff you start with rather than what you end up with.

Thanks...

CigBurn likes this.
  2. GuitarPix

GuitarPix Senior Stratmaster

Oct 21, 2013
    Calgary
    Basic idea many use is the more forward in the mix the less reverb, further back more reverb.

Something I often do is mix in enough reverb to hear it, then dial it back until it’s almost gone again.

A reverb that has pre-delay is nice so it separates from the source. Also putting delay on a sub track let’s you run multiple channels to it and you can separately EQ - usually take out the lows and upper highs.

However it also depends on the kind of music.

I would suggest one of the things you listen for in your reference track (you do have reference track right? Something in similar vein to what you’re working on to check “how much vocal is there, what’s the overall mix like, how much reverb do I hear on each instrument, how bright is the lead guitar, what’s the eq on the drum overheads, etc)

BTW - most music doesn’t have a overall reverb, although a few people use it to glue everything together which can add a lot of mud to the mix.

3. Dadocaster

Thanks for dropping by, GP. I understand most of the ideas, but I am not convinced that I use them in a convincing manner. Do appreciate the reminder to eq to the verb.

Reference tracks? Would love to have them but most of my stuff is singularly mine and I really mostly can't figure out what I would want to reference. There is stuff that knocks me dead with regard to production but my tunes are not like those.

4. GuitarPix

Oct 21, 2013
    Calgary
    Reference tracks don't have to be an exact match, but more the 'feel' - no matter whether you're doing prog metal or jazz fusion or alt country, yes you'll sound different than other artists but if it's more or less in the same arena and you respect it - don't worry about how much they sound like you and just think about how the different areas of mixing were handled. Would love to hear some samples of your work. Do you have anything on Soundcloud or other similar site?

5. Dadocaster

dadoboyo on soundcloud, youtube, and all the streaming, download services. Spotify or Youtube would be a good start since they only have finished stuff. Sadly, the mixes are not mine. One was done by one of our esteemed ST members, the other two by a local studio.

It would be nice if I could get to the point of doing them myself. :D

Current work is getting heavier and grimier.

6. GuitarPix

Oct 21, 2013
    Calgary
    Nice - I'm really digging your tunes. Kind of taking me back to hanging out in the punk clubs in the early '80's - but different ;)

For a reference I'd suggest Billy D and the Hoodoo's - very different from you but a similar feel (to me) which might be instructive.

7. Dadocaster

Thanks. Will do so. Have a lot more tunes, but work on them has kind of ground to a halt due to real life. :D Dang that real life.

8. GuitarPix

Oct 21, 2013
    Calgary
    That 'real life' stuff sure gets in the way.

9. Dadocaster

@GuitarPix The sounds I am hearing on the Billy D and the Hoodoo's are close relatives of stuff I am hearing in my head.

GuitarPix likes this.
  10. moullineaux

moullineaux Senior Stratmaster

Jul 11, 2009
    ATLANTA, GA
    Reverb is one of those things that can really liven up the space in a mix or make it sound really muddy and thin. GuitarPix hit the nail on the head, don’t use excessive reverb on something you want up front in a mix. Personally I mix under the philosophy that less is more. I have a descent recording room so I usually( weird effects and strange tones aside) record everything as dry as possible and add effects to change the way something sounds or to to give it space in the DAW. As for reverb, I find consistency the best approach. I put a bit on guitar tracks to open the space a bit and the same for drums, just enough to get a “ room” feel. After my first stereo mix down if things aren’t quite open enough I might add a touch of verb when I mix down the stereo master just to pull things into the same listening space. Again, less is more unless you are shooting for some conceptual sounds, etc.

11. GuitarPix

Oct 21, 2013
    Calgary
    That’s what hit me when I listed to your tunes.