Warmoth.com Amplified Parts darrenriley.com Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Pour-on resin guitar finish

Discussion in 'Guitar Vendors' started by jukeboxhero426, Jan 4, 2011.

1. jukeboxhero426

jukeboxhero426 New Member!

Hey guys,

I am currently in the process of finishing a build. I came across some pour-on resin at the store and was wondering if it is a good method for finishing guitars? I do not plan on building often and do not want to spend the money on a spray gun. I experimented with polyurethane clear coat spray cans but was not happy with the results.

I want to try the resin but would first like to know if there is some huge downside to using it as opposed to spraying a finish onto the guitar. I do not plan on pouring a thick layer of the resin, just enough to leave a glossy coat.

2. stratmanchu

stratmanchu Senior Stratmaster

welcome! if you are talking about the 2 part epoxy I think called "glaze coat", i dont see how it will possibly work. even with a really thin coat, it will want to run and drip. you couldnt hang the guitar, i would not think. doing it in several stages i would not think would be easy or good.

you should be able to get a good result at least with automotive lacquer in spray cans, i have. i would think the poly will work too. you just need to wet sand, sometimes between coats, mostly at the end, then buff and polish. should look spectacular and not hard

3. jukeboxhero426

jukeboxhero426 New Member!

Thanks for the reply! :)

I will give it another go with the spray cans.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. BLUESMANVINTAGE

BLUESMANVINTAGE Strat-Talk Member

Im gonna go with a NO on that aas well.

6. rjhalsey

rjhalsey Strat-Talker Vendor Member

It might make a decent grain filler, but not a good finish. If you plan on doing several builds, a good HVLP system is the way to go. If you want to do just nitro, then try ReRanch Guitar Refinishing for nitro in the spray cans. I use them for my Fender colors and use my HVLP guns for the clear and custom colors.

7. Gary1263

Gary1263 Strat-Talk Member

it's made for a flat surface sides' too thick will restrict tone and resonance, reranch makes a spray...nitro cell...get some 1000,1200 1500 and 2000 grit and a little Patiencemixed with elbow grease...I am a terrible painter but I took my time and sanded alot