Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Practical Jazz Workshop #1

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by dogletnoir, Apr 7, 2018.

1. fezz parka

fezz parka Ω Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2011
    ₩¥€£§μГ
    Timing is feel. You have to internalize it...

Omar, dogletnoir and Cerb like this.

2. Cerb

Cerb Senior Stratmaster

Jan 22, 2016
    Sweden
    Working on that :)

fezz parka likes this.

3. dogletnoir

dogletnoir Most Honored Senior Member

Nov 1, 2013
    northeastern usa
    No, you're not nuts.
    There were actually some reasons why i didn't include a lead sheet for this tune in the OP.
    First, not everyone around here can read music.
    Second, jazz has a tradition of oral/aural learning apart from reading charts.
    Third (and most importantly imo), you need to fit the melody to the backing track
    in the same way that the melody is handled in a slightly different manner for
    each of the versions posted in the thread.

Being able to use your ears and nailing a particular rhythmic feel are vital parts of the skill set.
    It's a pretty straightforward melody, and i was really hoping that most people would learn it by ear.
    i didn't look at the chart myself. :)

Last edited: Apr 14, 2018

4. Cerb

Cerb Senior Stratmaster

Jan 22, 2016
    Sweden
    My first intention was to transcribe it but then I saw the sheet and I knew how much time I would have to spend on getting the timing right, so I took the easy way out. It took me around 20 minutes to learn the head up to speed tapping my foot, but as soon as I start using a metronome or the track I screw up royally. I've now spent a total of around eight hours just trying to play on the beat to a metronome and it's slowly, slowly getting there. I think this might actually be something you could put a diagnosis on.

Omar and davidKOS like this.

5. montemerrick

montemerrick spiritual birthday, April 1 Strat-Talk Supporter

8 hours? my diagnosis is you suffer from a cornucopia of devotion

6. Cerb

Cerb Senior Stratmaster

Jan 22, 2016
    Sweden
    I'm known to be stubborn. A while ago I was playing in the sofa nd my girlfriend said "I'm really impressed, most people would have given up long ago".
    She meant well but it didn't feel like it :)

Omar, montemerrick and duzie like this.

7. fezz parka

Apr 21, 2011
    ₩¥€£§μГ
    You (the general "you" as in everyone) can be your own worst enemy. Listen to the music. Go to the music and try to play it. Count. Tap your foot. Sing it first. If you can sing it, you can play it. Take your time. Don't think....feel. :)

Omar, Cerb, dogletnoir and 1 other person like this.

8. montemerrick

montemerrick spiritual birthday, April 1 Strat-Talk Supporter

i spent some time this morning getting a feel for the solo -this is my first take after goofing around for a couple of hours ( a couple of takes got tossed because i accidentally solo'd in the 5th chorus).... really all i have are some key notes to make you think i hit the modes the way i as supposed to (major 3rd and flattened 7th over the F7 so you'd think i went all mixolydian, etc) even with tons of mistakes, i assure i was playing very cautiously... i thought about waiting to post when i was famous and knew what i was doing, but then realized we don't have that many lifetimes left on this planet probably

Omar, Alan L Cole, dogletnoir and 2 others like this.

9. fezz parka

Apr 21, 2011
    ₩¥€£§μГ
    That's great Monte. Timing is loose...a little behind. Like the blues. :)

Omar and montemerrick like this.

10. fezz parka

Apr 21, 2011
    ₩¥€£§μГ
    On the nose. There's that octave funky rhythm part that made me play the head a little differently than I normally do. If I could mix the backer, I'd kill that part altogether. LOL

Omar likes this.

11. davidKOS

davidKOS Musician, Composer, Teacher Strat-Talk Supporter

May 28, 2012
    California

I have a moment before rehearsal....

Yes jazz has an aural tradition.

But almost all of the masters could and did read music, even if it was often just to notate a new head for a recording session or for use as a lead sheet for copyright purposes.

Of course the big bands had charts and the arranger was an important role.

Indeed , many jazz performances do not exactly match the sheet music! So you do need to use your ears.

"First, not everyone around here can read music."

In my opinion that needs correcting.

As far as I am concerned, you NEED to be able to read music. Most of us do not have the ear skills of a Wes Montgomery.

Maybe not sight read at pro gig level - but be able to read a chart in the "Real Book" or whatever is an absolute MUST when I am teaching.

ALL of my jazz teachers REQUIRED music reading as a part of the learning process. That includes Ellis Marsalis...and the last time I saw his band play, not a sheet of music was on the bandstand.

Until they played a "new" chart, and they pulled out the parts and read them happily.

Now it gets fun - a lot of charts are not written correctly, and then you have to make changes to "correct" them.

Anyway, keep up the good work, I'll check in later today after the rehearsals.

dogletnoir, Omar and Cerb like this.

12. davidKOS

davidKOS Musician, Composer, Teacher Strat-Talk Supporter

May 28, 2012
    California
    None of the bands play exactly like the first sheet music.

Did you look at the other attachment?
    This version I found later.

Attached Files:

duzie, Cerb and Omar like this.

13. Raimonds

Raimonds Senior Stratmaster

Mar 28, 2015
    Latvia
    I think it would be better if I will shut up and just play until I get at least basic understanding.

Percy likes this.

14. Omar

Omar Most Inquisitive Junior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 9, 2017
    Marbella, Spain
    First attempt
    Second
    Hopefully not the last, unless you ban me lol.
    One take, one go, no multi-tracks.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018

15. Percy

Percy Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Ditto!!!!:thumb:

16. fezz parka

Apr 21, 2011
    ₩¥€£§μГ
    The point of the thread is to learn. Just playing, without studying, asking questions, or working, isn't productive for anyone.

There are threads for jamming. Posting a track and getting people to hear/listen to you play.
    This thread is to learn how to fit into a specific bag: jazz.

So, if you want to learn something about playing jazz, or share something you've learned about playing jazz, this is the thread for that. If you just want to post a track, and not participate in the discussion, well what's the point of that? :)

17. Omar

Aug 9, 2017
    Marbella, Spain
    Do I have to do something different after the solo other than repeating head’s riff? Harmony part is the name?

dogletnoir likes this.

18. Percy

Percy Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Wow you are coming along Omar!!!!!:thumb:

Omar likes this.

19. Omar

Aug 9, 2017
    Marbella, Spain
    What @fezz parka said. I feel the beat, I hate metronomes. It comes naturally with repetition. You can do it :)

Cerb likes this.

20. Omar

Aug 9, 2017
    Marbella, Spain
    Thank you! :D practice makes perfect :thumb: and of course everyone’s support :)