Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Practical Jazz Workshop #2

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by davidKOS, May 5, 2018.

Tags:
  1. davidKOS

davidKOS Musician, Composer, Teacher Strat-Talk Supporter

May 28, 2012
    California
    Welcome jazz students!

This month's tune is a swinging classic, popularized by Frank Sinatra and many others, "Fly Me to the Moon".

It has a typical chord structure, is a binary form tune - no bridge, the second part differs somewhat from the first section but has much the same changes.

I recorded a guitar backing track for you to use, just basic 4/4 swing, much like if we were at a guitar lesson:

It follows the chart, 4 M intro, head, 2 solos choruses, head, coda.

http://www.1mc.es/pjw/30/1525445361

Lead Sheet:

http://www.1mc.es/pjw/31/fmttm_lead_sheet

[​IMG]

The rules are the same as the last challenge:

The 'Practical Jazz Workshop' is here to help any player who is prepared to put in the time and effort to improve as a Jazz guitarist.
    If that’s you, welcome aboard!
    Before you get stuck right in, please take a minute to read the five Guidelines, which are designed to help everyone to get the best possible experience from this thread.

1) A new Jazz sound file – typically accompanied by a chart and some pointers to help you get started – will be posted on the first Saturday of each month at 6pm Eastern Standard Time (or thereabouts).

2) Please keep your take within the Jazz tradition, preferably quoting the top line melody at the ‘head’, and making the fullest use of the chord changes in your subsequent improvisation.

3) In the initial stages of these Practical Jazz threads, the music will be selected by either @dogletnoir, @davidKOS or @montemerrick, who will also provide charts/lead sheets and study/reference material as they see fit, as well as some
    feedback on performances which they feel will be helpful to participants. They will be working to a rotation system that allows time for preparation, and avoids last-minute debate over what composition should be chosen next.

4) Participants are encouraged to practice the number beforehand as much as their time allows, but please make any submissions a genuine, ‘bandstand style’ take, without edits or overdubs.

5) Constructive critiques of the other submissions will be allowed, but please be mindful of other people’s feelings.
    Pointing a way forward will certainly be more helpful than simply mentioning things that you felt were 'wrong' with a take.
    Let’s keep Practical Jazz Workshop a happy, safe environment where everyone can learn from each other.

If you have a Jazz number you feel could benefit participants, please start a Conversation with @davidKOS, @dogletnoir, and @montemerrick, rather than posting it into the thread.

My suggestions:

1. really learn the rhythm chords first

fezz provided an example:

2. pay attention to the places the tonality shifts from Am to C major; the Bdim7 to E7 is a good clue.

3. please do not show off your recording skills, latest killer overdrive tone, etc. Try to use a clean tone - even practice on an acoustic guitar.

4. This tune swings, so watch your phrasing so you swing too. This is not blues, funk, nor rock.

5. Have fun, and we'll discuss the tune as we go.

I have an example solo I recorded on hold until after several entries are posted.

Try to find a video or recording that has the melody - this is a common tune, it was a hit even!

2. heltershelton

heltershelton ASKED TO LEAVE THE STAGE Strat-Talk Supporter

Jun 5, 2013
    Not Florida
    so, sections A1 and A2 are repeated 4 times with the coda being at the end of the 4th time? ive never even heard this before so once again im a stranger in a strange land.
    right now i feel overwhelmed. this is such a jump from the first one. maybe not for those of you who have played this stuff all your life, but for me its titanic.

Last edited: May 5, 2018
    duzie, davidKOS and Cerb like this.

3. Raimonds

Raimonds Senior Stratmaster

Mar 28, 2015
    Latvia
    I dont want to pretend I havent heard this song and this is thread where we can track the progress of our playing so I played what I already know, lets see how far I will get. Due to my laziness I rarely get past first half of solo, melody, etc, now its time to learn the whole song.

4. montemerrick

montemerrick spiritual birthday, April 1 Strat-Talk Supporter

and for this song Sinatra IS the standard

Omar, dogletnoir, davidKOS and 2 others like this.

5. fezz parka

fezz parka R.P.M. (Retired Professional Musician) Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2011
    Like Nowheresville, man.
    I'd bother to learn the tune and play it to the backing track before posting then. Its not a race, or a place to post your own version. You have the track and the material. Be part of the class and study. Frankly the above does nothing for the point of the thread. Do the work. :)

6. heltershelton

Jun 5, 2013
    Not Florida
    im glad you posted this, because i have no friggin idea. and i like frank. i found this one with the same name and i was like WTF man?
    not even the same words and sounds completely different. how can he call this fly me to the moon?
    for some reason i dont like tony now and i dont even know who he is. please forgive my ignorance.

Omar and davidKOS like this.

7. Raimonds

Mar 28, 2015
    Latvia
    I will :)

8. Raimonds

Mar 28, 2015
    Latvia
    Before I post full take and you will ask me to leave the stage, I want to confirm the structure: if I understand correctly, A1&A2 for head, then 2x A1&A2 for solo and then back to A1&A2 for head? What to play on coda and first 4 bars?

davidKOS likes this.

9. heltershelton

Jun 5, 2013
    Not Florida
    thats kinda what i was asking bro.....im unclear. and btw.....what you played sounded pretty damn good to me for what it was. and for me....something like this will take much longer than a month, but i will do what i can in the time we have.

davidKOS likes this.

10. RichieS

RichieS Strat-Talker

Sep 1, 2016
    The City
    I've heard this song a lot and played it a few times, but have never worked very hard at it.

This is where I am with it today. I think I'm pretty close with the melody. This was my second take where I got through all four choruses (On my first four shots I got lost and came back into the melody too soon)

11. Raimonds

Mar 28, 2015
    Latvia
    Thanks Kelly, I like this song but I never got past first 8 bars, now its time to learn it properly. I recorded the track and the solo part is the one which throws me off the track, I cant count 4x16 bars, it is too long.

heltershelton and davidKOS like this.

12. fezz parka

Apr 21, 2011
    Like Nowheresville, man.
    At its core, it's a circle progression. FWIW Gary Moore's Still Got The Blues is the same progression...even in the same key.;)

TheDuck and davidKOS like this.

13. heltershelton

Jun 5, 2013
    Not Florida
    then quit counting. drink some homemade whatever it is yous guys make there and play it. im not kidding. counting is for grade schoolers.

davidKOS likes this.

14. fezz parka

Apr 21, 2011
    Like Nowheresville, man.
    montemerrick and dogletnoir like this.

15. heltershelton

Jun 5, 2013
    Not Florida
    can you PLEASE explain that tony bennet stuff? its not even the same.

davidKOS likes this.

16. montemerrick

montemerrick spiritual birthday, April 1 Strat-Talk Supporter

if you skip ahead about a minute, it's the tune (although pretty slowed down compared to Sinatra/Basie...) some versions have a long nearly spoken intro that mostly insults poets (lol) "poets often use many words to say a simple thing"

17. fezz parka

Apr 21, 2011
    Like Nowheresville, man.
    Same song, different arrangement.
    Its in a commercial on tv .

Some inspiration:

Last edited: May 5, 2018

18. davidKOS

May 28, 2012
    California
    To be honest, that was the point.

It's a swinging standard, and the kicker is this is not considered to be a "difficult" tune.

Yet it teaches circle changes (ii-v's and such), does have a shift in tonality, and you can't play blues-rock cliches over the tune.

So it's a good choice from a teaching POV.

Yes it will be a challenge, but you'll get a lot out of this lesson if you stick to it.

"sections A1 and A2 are repeated 4 times with the coda being at the end of the 4th time?"

not exactly - there's the intro, played once only, then the tune is played through 4 times. On the very last time, you take the coda, which is easy to hear since it's the only time you get the Bbmaj7 chord.

Hope that clears it up.

lonegroover and heltershelton like this.

19. davidKOS

May 28, 2012
    California
    well, believe it or not, top pros I've worked with count

of course they were sightreading

heltershelton likes this.

20. heltershelton

Jun 5, 2013
    Not Florida
    we are on the same page. however, what is difficult to me may not be difficult for you, and vica versa. consider playing 'battery' by metallica. i can play it just fine. can you? this is where i stand in your land.

duzie and davidKOS like this.