Join Strat-Talk Today

Practice/Playing Time

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by HT_Gain, Mar 25, 2019.

1. HT_Gain

HT_Gain Strat-Talk Member

Hello everyone. I was just curious how much time you guys get to practice/play during an average week. I've been jamming with a singer and a drummer once a week for 3-4 hours each jam for the past few months. All of us have spouses to keep Happy and toddlers to wrangle along with 40+ hour work weeks, so we really don't get a lot of time outside of those jam sessions to practice or play. I remember the good ol' days back in junior high and high school when I could play every day for hours on end and didn't have to worry about paying bills. Just curious how much time you guys get to enjoy your gear. Thanks!

Mansonienne, circles and Groovey like this.
  2. mjark

mjark Senior Stratmaster

All day any day now if I wish. We'll be babysitting a grandson by the fall though. I may have to use headphones more then. The band rehearses irregularly more when we have gigs lined up.

Thrup'ny Bit and Groovey like this.
  3. heltershelton

heltershelton BANNED Strat-Talk Supporter

practice? never. I just play video games 24/7 and somehow I'm able to play

yeah right, lol.
    when the band gets together, we practice an average of 8 hours per session. gotta be there at 9am tomorrow and again Thursday.
    by myself I don't really count the hours, but today I played for about 7 hours.

gwjensen and dante1963 like this.
  4. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Senior Stratmaster

I've been playing inconsistently for 40+ years, and went from once in a while to two hours per day about a year and a quarter ago. The progress has caused me to enjoy playing music much more than ever before.

Groovey, HT_Gain and Thrup'ny Bit like this.
  5. dogletnoir

dogletnoir WBLV Strat-Talk Supporter

Back in HS and at uni, i practiced a minimum of 3 hours every day.
    Nowadays, i try to devote about 45 minutes of focused work to the guitar
    and the same amount to the bass about 5x a week.
    Then i'm usually recording material for a couple of hours about 4x a week.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2019
  6. amstratnut

amstratnut Peace thru Music. Strat-Talk Supporter

1 to 3 hrs 2-4 times a week.

gwjensen likes this.
  7. rgbedard

rgbedard non-compliant Strat-Talk Supporter

Since I retired, a couple hours a day ... before I retired, a couple hours a year ...

8. rolandson

rolandson Most Honored Senior Member

When actually working it, what with practice, rehearsal, performance... it was a full time thing. Not an employer/employee kind of full time, but a self employed sole proprietor kind of full time...

That is, every waking minute of every day.

Now, if the dog is willing, I might get in 30-45 minutes a day.

9. gjohnson441496

gjohnson441496 Strat-Talker

2 hours a day everyday unless I' out of town. I'll take a day off every now and then but get back to it. I'm finally becoming more confident with my vocals after a recording session I did today. Practice does lead to good results.

duzie likes this.
  10. Mr C

Mr C Senior Stratmaster

At the moment probably about an hour a day max. I’m just finishing off building my own house so it’s hard not just have that consume every waking moment. Between that and the kids I don’t get a lot of personal free time.

House is more or less finished now though so I’m trying to take the foot off the Gas a bit and get some more time off. I find anything less than two hours playing a day and I don’t really move forward and improve...

jimyjazz likes this.
  11. jimyjazz

jimyjazz Senior Stratmaster

Haven't been playing much lately . Life got in the way .. and it shows when I do pick one up occasionally .. makes me feel better when I do it though

montemerrick likes this.
  12. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

Like @mjark, I can play all day every day, arthritis, Mrs Bit and grandkids allowing, if the mood takes me.

13. RaySachs

RaySachs Strat-O-Master

Yup, that’s me too. I played a ton before starting a career and family - started slowing down when I was around 27-28. And then I basically didn’t play for 30 years. I mean, I’d pick up a guitar occasionally but no callouses, so I couldn’t play worth a damn and my fingers were screaming at me. I think twice in that 30 year period I started getting callouses - once when I wanted to sing kids songs with my daughters when they were little and I don’t remember the other time. But I basically just couldn’t play enough for it to be fun so I just didn’t. And then a couple years ago I started playing again, fell back in love with it, and have all the time in the world. Some days I play for hours, some days I barely play, but overall I’m playing more than I ever have and really having a blast at it.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2019
    rgbedard, HT_Gain and gwjensen like this.
  14. Chont

Chont Most Honored Senior Member

I try to at least pickup one of my guitars for at least 10-15 minutes a day. I have like 90 kids so some days its easier than others. If Mrs. C is out running errands with any of them I get more play time in for sure. One of my daughters friend's fathers is a working musician and he's been wanting to get together for a jam so trying to work that out. Just for fun he's not looking to have me join the band and I'm not looking for that type of commitment anyway. I really hope that pans out.

Past few days I've been dinking on my acoustics. I keep one in open D.

15. Miotch

Miotch Senior Stratmaster

M-F I come into office and play from 6 a.m. - 6:45 a.m. Unless on vacation or out of town. Pretty consistent.

16. StratMike10

StratMike10 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

I do my best to play or practice something at least 1 hour a day. Often it's a bit of a sacrifice because I'm really not in the mood and things get in the way, but I see it as an investment in the future.

An investment for those moments, those days when everything lines up, mood and inspiration are peaking, the guitar becomes an extension of body and soul, the music feels like its happening by itself and you're just gliding down the face of the wave in a Zen-like bliss.

Mistakes and booboos are distracting and can wipe me out, shorten my ride... so by investing in practice I keep the old machine oiled. Only for those moments. Those moments are the main reason I still play the instrument almost 50 years later.

jimyjazz likes this.
  17. ido1957

ido1957 Senior Stratmaster

Familiar story. Retired and practicing everyday at least 3 hours now. Catching up after the whole work/kids thing. Don't get me wrong, the work thing is going to let me retire haha. I do a pub jam twice a week to put what I've worked on to good use. I still have a lot of licks I want to learn...

18. gwjensen

gwjensen Senior Stratmaster

I'll play my acoustic for about twenty minutes before work, running through scales, finger exercises, or just playing around to see what kind of melodies I might come up with. In the evenings I'll plug in and play to backing tracks. Lately I've been focused on country tracks in G major.

19. Mankonis

Mankonis Strat-Talk Member

1-2hr almost everyday. And it''s not enough...

gwjensen likes this.
  20. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Senior Stratmaster

At least a couple hours a night. I don't watch much t.v.
    On days off I have marathons with my guitar

gwjensen likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.