Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

practice tube amp?

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by sevignyjoe, Dec 3, 2017.

1. johnnymg

johnnymg Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 5, 2015
    Central Coast Ca
    Bluesy tones can be had with the Mustang amps. Check out Shanes 68 preset vid here. This is my baseline Mustang preset. I adjust the gain and EQ to taste.

That said, I do think a small tube amp will be easier to dial in for a blues/crunch tone. I'm going to do a slight go-back on my previous "dis" of my Bugera T5 amp.
    Note: I'm using the T5 head version into a Blackstar 2x12 cabinet. The V5 is the combo version.

So I finally got the replacement JJ EL84 power tube yesterday and now I actually like this little amp. I have a 12AT7 in the preamp section and the amp is fairly quiet in terms of hiss/hum now. I've warmed up to this little amp and now feel like the clean tones are very good at low-moderate bedroom volume. I'm diming the master and setting the Gain knob to taste. At moderate-high volume the amp starts to get a bit crunchy when doing chords and has a really nice bluesy lead tone. I'm learning how to better control the amp with the guitar volume knob and feel like there is good touch sensitivity with this amp.

I think the V5 combo should be on the short list to check out if you're looking for a cleanish bedroom/home volume amp. It has a rep for being slightly dark but I think much of that might be the factory tubes. If you do go this route definitely get a pair of JJ tubes for it.

cheers
    JohnG

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
  2. LBXPDX

LBXPDX Strat-Talker

Mar 18, 2015
    Portland
    I really dig my VHT Special 6. I have a few different 6V6 and 12AX7 tubes to adjust the tones.