Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Practicing Jazz chords syndrome

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Omar, Jun 21, 2018.

Tags:
  1. fezz parka

fezz parka Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2011
    ₩¥€£§μГ
    He's talking about rootless quads, triads and dyads. You're already doing that. ;)

2. fezz parka

Apr 21, 2011
    ₩¥€£§μГ
    I use all four fingers and pluck the muted string.

Omar likes this.

3. Omar

Omar Most Inquisitive Junior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 9, 2017
    Marbella, Spain
    I have a severe memory-leakage issue lol

rolandson and fezz parka like this.

4. Omar

Aug 9, 2017
    Marbella, Spain
    What I usually do, I assign thumb for 6th and 5th strings; index, middle, ring and pinky are assigned for 4th, 3rd, 2nd and 1st respectively. In that chord, I have to pluck 6th and 5th simultaneously, what should I do? both with thumb as a strum? or thumb and index? Sorry brother, I ask a lot :D

5. fezz parka

Apr 21, 2011
    ₩¥€£§μГ
    "Short chords" ( I don't call them that , and the first time I ever heard that terminology was here on ST from Ronaldson) work best when you're playing in an ensemble that other instruments are covering the intervals you are omitting. Ted Greene has a great lesson for using these.

6. Omar

Aug 9, 2017
    Marbella, Spain
    Also can be called chord voicing or variation? I was discussing this subject with @dogletnoir the other day, Dm7 and Fmaj7 both have the same notes. She thankfully has clarified it.

http://www.strat-talk.com/threads/music-theory-q-and-a-discussion-thread.251001/page-37#post-3317962

rolandson and fezz parka like this.

7. fezz parka

Apr 21, 2011
    ₩¥€£§μГ
    I don't assign strings to digits. Its limiting what your can do and how you'll sound. I'll pluck the B and high E with my thumb and index finger if needed.

Watch Lindsey Buckingham play. It's an eye opener.

rolandson, davidKOS and Omar like this.

8. Omar

Aug 9, 2017
    Marbella, Spain
    I understand you, I shouldn't limit my fingers :thumb:

I will watch both, Ted and Lindsey https://www.youtube.com/user/TedGreeneArchives/videos

Thank you brother :)

fezz parka likes this.

9. Omar

Aug 9, 2017
    Marbella, Spain

10. davidKOS

davidKOS Musician, Composer, Teacher Strat-Talk Supporter

May 28, 2012
    California
    Seriously, for fingerstyle playing the best training is playing some classical guitar! Nothing else comes close, although Atkins picking is pretty awesome.

I use a pick much of the time for my jazz rhythm playing, but I do use fingerstyle for certain things:

wanting to sound more like a "modern" jazz player than a swing era player

Bossa Nova

running bass lines with comping chords

I also make use of hybrid picking in some of these situations.

I definitely use a pick when I want the "Freddie Greene" 4/4 "chunk" sound or for Gypsy jazz. You can't play Gypsy jazz fingerstyle.

rolandson, Omar and fezz parka like this.

11. fezz parka

Apr 21, 2011
    ₩¥€£§μГ
    Go through the Howard Morgen lessons until you have it down cold. Go through the Baker book after that. Then tackle this:

The pdf to go with it.

http://tedgreene.com/images/lessons/chords/SessionWithTheStars-TedGreeneHandout_Sheets.pdf

Be careful not to overload yourself with several different data sources. Tackle each lesson/source one at a time.

The Morgen tapes are the most beneficial to you now, to where you are on the path. The Greene stuff is advanced shizz. Move to that once you've digested and implemented the Morgen stuff. Stand....walk....run. ;)

dogletnoir, davidKOS and Omar like this.

12. Omar

Aug 9, 2017
    Marbella, Spain
    I agree. Additionally, nylon strings are more forgiving than steel ones.

I'm still in the exploration phase, I learn with whatever available :D

Thank you so much! I save it somewhere and get back to it in a few years lol once I finish Baker's book.

davidKOS and fezz parka like this.

13. fezz parka

Apr 21, 2011
    ₩¥€£§μГ
    Remember that there are two different types of playing: focused study where you follow a prescribed course of lessons and the fun.

Focused study should be implemented in short chunks of time, otherwise fatigue (mental and physical) will set in. Fatigue hinders learning in both your data and muscle memory. Overloading your data memory with conflicting information from multiple sources causes subconscious confusion. There's actually too much information and suggested courses of action right here in this thread! :)

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018 at 10:27 AM
    davidKOS and Omar like this.

14. dogletnoir

dogletnoir Most Honored Senior Member

Nov 1, 2013
    northeastern us
    The comping chord stuff, in other words. :)

fezz parka and Omar like this.

15. Omar

Aug 9, 2017
    Marbella, Spain
    You're absolutely correct. Honestly, I'm not good at organizing a daily studying schedule. I start with with X lesson, then I get fed up or hit a wall. I jump to lesson Y, I hit a wall. I start learning as song, I feel discouraged, then I go to lesson X or change the whole genre. This is my musical life cycle ever since I picked a guitar :)

For example, I started with Baker's book, D13b5b9 has put me off. Then decided to get to understand fretboard, so I purchase HM's course, all is well until I got busy with work. Now I'm practicing by learning songs, leaving behind two excellent jazz resources. :oops:

If I manage to set clear goals and follow a solid learning path, I would learn faster and have fun. I have to sit with myself and have brain-storming session to decide what I really need and how to get there.

fezz parka and davidKOS like this.

16. rolandson

rolandson Most Honored Senior Member

oh...sorry, perhaps this will work...
    Short Chords.jpg
    There, that's a bit better, don't you think!?

One can take this approach with any chord form. Just play a few notes out of a full chord and you'll have it. All of the comping that I used in this abbreviated and horribly rushed (injury and arthritis has its way) contribution to Monte's exploration are short chords. I didn't use a full chord once.
    http://www.strat-talk.com/threads/playing-a-little-bit-of-jazz-again.481362/page-2

davidKOS and Omar like this.

17. rolandson

rolandson Most Honored Senior Member

I apologize, I'm truly quite late to this party. I hope whatever I add is complimentary rather than confusing.

This would be my suggestion as well.

Andre Segovia has a number of published instructional guides dedicated to precisely this endeavor. They assume that one is versed in reading score, but much of it can be deciphered from simply looking.

While a student of classical guitar, I was often tasked with exercises that eliminated use of the thumb...

Mostly scales, picking with just the fingers. Referring again to my sole contribution mentioned above, all of my comping is fingers...the flat pick was tucked into the joint of one of my fingers.

Omar and davidKOS like this.

18. jjlemon

jjlemon Strat-Talker

Jun 27, 2015
    South Wales
    You're doing just great Omar, good to see the spirit of PJW is alive and well, and that goes for Monte's threads too. I miss it, still can't play much, but I knew that was coming, still plenty to learn and enjoy.

dogletnoir, davidKOS and Omar like this.

19. Omar

Aug 9, 2017
    Marbella, Spain
    Thank you! I’ll save it and study it later. :)

As I play alone at home, I have to learn full chords. I’ll jam with others when I’m confidence enough. I still have to practice and study more.
    You’re not late, new information is always welcome!

Thank you my friend :) I hope the PJW comes back to life. It was fun and so helpful. I wish you speedy recovery.

Thrup'ny Bit and davidKOS like this.

20. Omar

Aug 9, 2017
    Marbella, Spain
    The jazzbox has killed my left hand lol

Luckily I have some alternatives.

BallisticSquid and Thrup'ny Bit like this.