Join Strat-Talk Today

Pretty Darn Good Amp Modelling For Free!

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by ilikeoverdrive, May 15, 2019.

1. ilikeoverdrive

ilikeoverdrive Strat-Talk Member

Lots of free VSTs and plugins out there nowadays have prompted me to dip my tones into some of the available modelling tech. And I decided to start with Amplitube 4 free and see where it takes me. The reasons to start with it: standalone version, plug and play, 3 amps and a bunch of neat effects to choose from.

In conclusion: if you have a good set of monitors, in my case a pair of Genelec 8030d, there's definitely a lot you can do with the modelling tech out there now, free or otherwise. IK Multimedia's free version of Amplitube surprised me as not only fun and intuitive, but also quite well rounded, covering much ground tone-wise. Ain't replacing tube amps for me, but it certainly has its uses :thumb:.

Anyone else here using some pretty darn good amp modelling:D? And how do you use it?

Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2019
    Seacaster57, Cerb and ajb1965 like this.
  2. ajb1965

ajb1965 Old Enough to Know Better Strat-Talk Supporter

Nice sounds sir! I have that same EC-1000 :) I like how Amplitube sounds, I got the deluxe version with my IK AXE interface. I don't use it much for recording, I prefer Helix Native, but I use it all the time stand alone for plunking along to youtube videos etc.

There's a few nice fully free amp sims out there. You should check out Ignite Amps Emissary and the LePou stuff if you like the higher gain Mesa style. Ignite has a good IR loader as well, and there are plenty of good free IRs out there too. Between Cakewalk, IK, and all the free VSTs out there you can have a great home studio for the price of your audio interface.

ilikeoverdrive likes this.
  3. Cerb

Cerb Most Honored Senior Member

Yes, I'm usingvthe most basic paid version of Bias Amp 2. I use it for recording and for practicing while I need to keep the volume down. The advanced version of Bias Amo lets you profike real amps, I haven't tried it because I don't want to pay that amount of money but I'm very curious.

4. Cerb

Cerb Most Honored Senior Member

This is some imprivisation to a random backing track using Bias Amp 2. If I recall correctly I added some compression in post processing.

Attached Files:

5. slash1814

slash1814 Strat-Talker

dunno why I rarely get something from amplitube.May be its just me..

6. fezz parka

fezz parka The Return of the Red Helmet Strat-Talk Supporter

I use the models in Logic.

They can sound like this:

Or like this:

From mellow to not-so-mellow. :D

7. ilikeoverdrive

Thank you, Sir! Indeed, the EC-1000 is an awesome guitar which I've played a lot and had upgraded with stainless steel frets and a bone nut.

BTW, I would definitely love to try either the HX Effects or the Helix Stomp for some added reverb and delay with a tube amp. Which would you recommend for this:)?

Those are some wonderful smooth tones you're getting! The Bias ability to profile amps sounds really appealing! By the way, have you tried running pedals into Bias? Wondering how well it would work ;)

Cerb likes this.
  8. Dick Blackmore

Dick Blackmore Senior Stratmaster

This is an area I would like to get into. I was at a friends last weekend and he had this Plini Archetype amp simulator on his IPAD and it sounded amazeballs. Then he told me it was only about 125$. I've been staring at my thousands of dollars in amps and pedals and all I want to do is go over to his house and plug into that Plini thing.

ilikeoverdrive, Cerb and ajb1965 like this.
  9. ilikeoverdrive

There are plenty of good tones to be had even with amplitube 4 free. This limited version most certainly yields itself in combating option paralysis too :D

Cerb likes this.
  10. ajb1965

I had a full Helix and I loved the sound and versatility, but it wasn't practical for me at the time. Since then I've gotten a 'real' tube amp and I've been eyeing the HX Effects to replace my pedals. Bang for the buck it's tough to ignore. For the price of a good reverb, delay, and mod pedal you get the entire L6 effects package.

The HX is only the Helix effects, no amp or cabinet modeling. It is designed to replace your pedalboard. Supports 4CM and can have up to 9 effects running at once.

The Stomp is basically a full on Helix with fewer outputs and simultaneous effects (6 in the stomp vs 9 in the HX Effects) and no exp pedal in a micro size. It contains all the amp and cab modeling plus the effects. It can also be used as a USB audio interface. I used my big Helix as an interface for a while and it was great for that.

So how I would look at it:

If you do a lot of recording the Stomp might be the better choice. It is a good low latency USB AI that can record wet/dry at the same time, so if you don't like your sound you can re-amp later and change it. Plus, it has all the awesome Helix amp models built in. You wouldn't need Amplitube or any other sim if you didn't want. Plus Plus, if you gig you can just plug it right into FOS and you are golden. You can use the effects only if you want and also run 4CM for live with your amp, just build presets without amp/cab blocks.

If you like the sound of your amp already and plan on using it as your primary sound, then the HX Effects would be better. All the FX and no sims or cabs to deal with. I don't believe it can be used as a USB AI either, it's primarily a live use box. It's a little simpler to use and less to get caught up in with having to create special preset lists specifically without amps etc.

A big bonus is if you get either one, you can get the Helix Native (VST Plugin) for 99 bucks right now. It's a software only Helix. That's what I've been using for the last year. It's an amazing SIM.

Hope this helps!

11. ilikeoverdrive

It's really amazing how far modelling has come in the past 10 years. Leaps and bounds without a doubt. And though I personally would never see myself relinquishing tube amps for digital gear, I do see the point in someone going that route;)

Cerb likes this.
  12. ajb1965

NeuralDSP makes some really nice sims. I watched their demo a bunch of times just to hear the Plini song. That guy's music is pure happiness with some polyrhythm on the side

dogletnoir and ilikeoverdrive like this.
  13. ilikeoverdrive

It sure does, thank you! Will definitely look into some online demos of the reverb and delay abilities of these units. They're not cheap compared to a single reverb or delay pedal, but the sheer amount of effects available and the ability to do the work of both or even more at the same time is very appealing to me!

From mellow to not so mellow is quite an apt description! :D

fezz parka likes this.
  14. TSims1

TSims1 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

I like the Logic models too for recording.

I’ve also owned the Helix, as well as spent time with Fractal stuff, Neunaber, Atomic Amplifire, Tech 21 and the Boss GT-1000 for live stuff. Amazing how far we’ve come.

Cerb, ilikeoverdrive and fezz parka like this.
  15. ajb1965

I did the same thing! The reverb and delay combo I was looking at would be $700 vs 6 for the HX. Check out worship tutorials on YouTube. They did a comparison of the HX vs Strymon and Boss RV. I think the HX kept up in most areas.

16. fezz parka

You can say that again. :D

ilikeoverdrive, Cerb and ajb1965 like this.
  17. ilikeoverdrive

The HX models do sound great, but I'm wondering if you can edit them as deep as you would the Big Sky. Same concern for the delay. I need to see how many parameters HX lets you tweak so as to see if and where it may be different/limited.

Great demos, but that guy still didn't get that RV5 screw all the way in!:D

We're in the best time to be playing guitar indeed, and great sounding digital gear is another excellent testament to this!

ajb1965 likes this.
  18. ajb1965

If you have a DAW you can download a 15 day trial of Helix Native. The effects in it are identical to the HX series as are the editing parameters. Unfortunately it cannot be run in stand alone. If you need a DAW, grab Cakewalk by Bandlab (free and it's the formerly $600 Cakewalk Sonar Platinum)

https://line6.com/helix/helixnative.html

19. fezz parka

I will say this: I use models exclusively for recording, and they're usually applied after I lay down the track. When recording a take, I play it dry into the board/interface. I know what I want it to sound like, but enjoy the freedom of choosing something different if it floats my boat. The only way to really do that is to record dry. :)

20. ajb1965

All my recording is done DI as well. The nice thing about the HX stomp is you can record a dry track along with your wet track to give you that option of reamping or using a different SIM.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.