Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Princeton Reverb Owners Club

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by mutato, Feb 11, 2011.

1. mutato

mutato Senior Stratmaster

Jul 10, 2007
    RI
    Why not?

Post pix and stuff of your Princeton Reverb. Mine's already in my profile picture, but i will add more "better" pictures later!

I have a '77 Princeton Reverb I bought about 3 years ago. Love it. Perfect basement amp after downsizing from my gigging days. It was already modded by previous owner to a 12" speaker. It was a Fender OEM (Eminence) speaker. Worked fine, but lacked some of that super bright sparkle. So I found out that the reissues have the Jensen C10R, so I got the Jensen C12R. Sounds great for me. But as we all know, people love to swap out speakers on these like any other amps to tailor their sound.

Mine has the dreaded "Pull/Push" Pot, which adds some drive, along with gobs of raw Treble. I don't use it. But I have dabbled with it occasionally and if you turn the treble know down to about 3, it's actually pretty good. So it's not so evil as people think.

My favorite part is having Vibrato and Spring reverb. Love being able to play some real retro tunes.

Just added pix. One pix of the baffle cut for 12" speaker (this was when it had the OEM speaker in it when I bought it). The rest are after I cleaned it up and installed the Jensen.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 12, 2011

2. Corona

Corona Senior Stratmaster

Dec 27, 2010
    Austin, TX
    Lonestardan likes this.

3. Sprocket

Sprocket Senior Stratmaster

Jul 22, 2008
    De'ville, Florida
    Count me in too, Ive got a PRRI.

But mine is due for a tube swap, both power and preamp tubes.
    Any recommendations for current production 6V6's? And any preamp tube suggestions? Maybe different value 12AX7 types?

I really enjoyed the quick reference that Justin's site had for my Hotrod...is there any such reference for the PRRI? Any info on biasing the PRRI???

4. rickyp

rickyp Senior Stratmaster

May 17, 2010
    LEEDS, ALABAMA
    Sprocket...you can't go wrong with JJ's from Eurotubes

5. Lua1

Lua1 PolyMayerMaple Strat-Talk Supporter

Mar 24, 2010
    Avondale
    prri here, less than a year old, original tubes, stock speaker :)

favorite amp in the world :)

6. Donald77

Donald77 Senior Stratmaster

is there a reason Fender put a 10 inch speaker in the princeton reverb instead of a 12 inch?

7. gaddis

gaddis Strat-O-Master

Jul 27, 2008
    New York
    I've had a PRRI for at least a couple of years. Terrific amp. My first ever amp was a new Princeton Reverb that I bought as a kid in 1969. I stupidly sold it sometime in the 90's to satisfy my Mesa/Boogie cravings. I like the reissue better, so I'm happy about the way it worked out anyway.

8. leonardgulyas

leonardgulyas Strat-Talk Member

Aug 18, 2011
    Budapest
    Mine is a PRRI bought 2 months ago and I love that little gem. Right now everything is stock but I want to re-tube it with some NOS tubes because I find the stock ones a little harsh and noisy.

Here are some pictures from the inside :) (I like to tinker with electronics)

65 Princeton Reverb Reissue Inside - a set on Flickr

Regards

9. gaddis

gaddis Strat-O-Master

Jul 27, 2008
    New York
    Interesting photos. Glad you're enjoying your amp. If I were you, I'd change the speaker before I change the tubes. If you hear harshness, it's most likely the speaker. I put an Eminence Patriot Delta Demon in mine and it sounds terrific. Everything else is stock.

10. orcslayer

orcslayer Senior Stratmaster

Dec 8, 2008
    Ajax, Canada
    I have a PRRI. Great little amp with more power than I expected. I have the OEM 10" Jensen Spkr. Could have more sparkle - I hope it will eventually break in & sound better.

11. STRATtack

STRATtack Strat-Talker

Aug 22, 2011
    Texas
    Proud new owner of a PRRI! I LOVE this amp. Plan to have it for the rest of my life.

image-1710653080.jpg

12. Donald77

How mutch did you pay for it?

13. STRATtack

STRATtack Strat-Talker

Aug 22, 2011
    Texas
    I got it for $875 including tax, but only ended up paying $650 or so b/c I traded some random gear I had lying around.

14. bremberg

bremberg Strat-Talk Member

Aug 13, 2011
    earth

15. Couloirman

Couloirman Strat-Talk Member

Aug 7, 2011
    Providence RI
    Ill join in on this club since I just snagged one off craigslist for a good deal. Although my chassis is with Mr. Fargen right now getting the works treatment done with both his standard Hot Mod, and a PPMV mod which is basically like power scaling. Can't wait to get it back and hear the difference it made!

16. Donald77

So you bought AND a princeton AND a hod rod 62? Somebody is earning bucks big time;) Please let us know how they sound will ya.

17. pauln

pauln Senior Stratmaster

Sep 14, 2011
    Houston
    I've got a PRRI... read one post saying it was kind of bright, another saying it was kind of dull.

The preamp tubes make a difference, and they vary. I had a Mesa branded 12AX7 I tried in V1 and the amp was WAY too bright - even with the treble at minimum. I put in a Mullard 12AX7 I pulled from a radio built in 1961 - ahh, perfect!

18. Klahye

Klahye Strat-Talk Member

Apr 19, 2011
    Chicago, IL USA
    1978 Princeton Reverb Silverface

I guess I'm in the club now too. Just picked up a 1978 Fender Princeton Reverb Silverface (w/ the volume boost--that I'll never use). It's pretty clean too. Love it at low volumes. Cranked, even moderately cranked, it's a bit too present, and stiff. I can likely work this out over time as I get to know the amp better--but I bought it for low volume situations--and it really shines in that regard. It runs hot too. Is this normal? The tubes are like flames back there. Never seen a tube amp run so hot. We'll see if that's the way it ought to be. Hope so!

Anyway, not sure if everything is stock on this thing--though I get the feeling it is. These amps have so much vibe--my first vintage amp. Loving it.

Attached Files:

19. Klahye

Klahye Strat-Talk Member

Apr 19, 2011
    Chicago, IL USA
    I thought I'd add a view of the back of the amp (speaker and tubes). I don't know speakers or tubes all that well. I know about guitars a fair bit--but amps and speakers and tubes...that's new territory for me. If anyone can help confirm/deny stock components per the photos (attached), that'd be cool--and helpful! Cheers!

Attached Files:

20. gigatron

gigatron Strat-Talk Member

Apr 6, 2012
    Slovenia
    I couldn't resist mucking about with mine:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]