Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Princeton Reverb Owners Club

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by mutato, Feb 11, 2011.

1. tarheelbob

tarheelbob Strat-Talker

Oct 10, 2014
    Asheville, NC
    Here ya' go!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Donald77 likes this.

2. Donald77

Donald77 Senior Stratmaster

Awesome man, she is a real looker :)

3. Fender Fool

Fender Fool Strat-Talker

Oct 25, 2013
    Pittsburgh
    Nice Bob! What do you think of the G10c. I have '65 PRRI with an Emi Legend 1028K in it. Actually I'm pretty happy with it. Much better than the stock C10r.

Maybe you can post a few soundclips!!

4. tarheelbob

tarheelbob Strat-Talker

Oct 10, 2014
    Asheville, NC
    The '68 PRRI comes with a Celestion Ten 30 instead of the Jensen. I love the WGS G10C, but to be perfectly honest, the difference is not as great as I expected. The cheaper stock Celestion actually did a pretty good job, especially on the low end. The WGS handles higher volumes, and breaks up smoother, especially in the light gigging I do, better than the stock. In the future, I may try a alnico just to waste some more money. <g>

Sound clips is a technology leap I haven't mastered yet. I'll keep you posted, but don't hold your breath....... ;)

Last edited: Dec 27, 2014

5. go49ners

go49ners Senior Stratmaster

Jan 2, 2012
    Lancaster, PA
    I'm in with a 65 PRRI. The speaker was upgraded to a Weber 10F150T by the previous owner. I dig it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. rickyp

rickyp Senior Stratmaster

May 17, 2010
    LEEDS, ALABAMA
    awesome!
    What's cool is that if you get sick of the 10" speaker, you can buy a new baffle for a 12" speaker and throw that in!
    PRRI's are awesome amps.

7. Gilmourfan75

Gilmourfan75 Senior Stratmaster

Jan 28, 2013
    myrtle beach via ny
    I am thinking of joining the club with a 65RI. I am a home player and pedal junkie. I use a lot of od and fuzz. How does the 65 like pedals? I had the 68 custom for a bit but to me it sounded muddy. Also,will I be able to get the 65 to very slightly breakup at home volumes? or is it too loud for that?

8. 335eye

335eye Senior Stratmaster

Aug 23, 2012
    Scottsdale
    You're a home player? Have you tried vintage amps? They sound better imo.

Vintage Fender Amps | Guitar Center

I have two 66 Princetons Reverbs and a 1960 Tweed Deluxe. I've owned the reissues, even hand wired'em, they don't sound as good for home playing imo. If you don't like it you can return to local GC for full refund : )

9. koko1

koko1 Strat-Talk Member

Sep 3, 2015
    Tengen, Germany
    Hi, i bought a used Princeton 65 Reverb RI last week with stock speaker. V1 has a Mullard reissue, V2 and V3 are stock (?) Sovtek groove tubes and V4 got a Ruby HG. Very nice sounding amp. The price was 720,- €.

10. Woodystrat

Woodystrat Strat-Talker

Feb 8, 2011
    Anchorage, AK
    Here is my new one. Build quality has improved quite a lot from 5 years ago when I briefly had a PRRI. This one has the P10r. I see no reason to change it but I don't use pedals with this one. I love that unadulterated Fender sound!

[​IMG]

Donald77 likes this.

11. BlueCajun

BlueCajun Senior Stratmaster

Apr 1, 2011
    Houston, Texas

Nice! I love the color scheme. HNAD!

12. koko1

koko1 Strat-Talk Member

Sep 3, 2015
    Tengen, Germany
    Does someone use an AMP modeler for a 65er Princeton to add some tweed and if, which tone settings do you use on your Princeton for most neutral sound?

13. koko1

koko1 Strat-Talk Member

Sep 3, 2015
    Tengen, Germany
    Ok, I could test it this morning. I connected the headphone/line-out of a G-DEC3-15 to the 2nd input jack on the Princeton. Output volume on G-Dec is 2, input vol on Princeton 3 (that's loud), treble 4-5, bass 3. This gives a good Tweed sound, when selecting Tweed models on the G-Dec. Maybe I have to adjust the output resistance of the G-Dec for better volume handling on the Princeton.

14. genethomas

genethomas Strat-Talker

Apr 14, 2013
    Gravesend, Kent
    Has anyone got a parts/ component list for a prri or a 68 custom?

15. Fender Phil

Fender Phil Strat-Talk Member

Jul 22, 2015
    Windsor Ontario Canada
    IMG_7687.JPG

This is my FSR '65 Reissue, Fudge Brownie with the Jensen P10Q. I have had it since June last year. I have had many amps over the last 40 plus years The speaker needs a break I when you get it new. I dimed the bass and volume knobs and played it for several hours a day until it sweetened up.

I also have a Jensen Alnico P10/100 Black Bird that I occasionally use in it. It allows more headroom and still responds nice to being overdriven. However, I have come to realize that the P10Q that came with allows it to start growling at half volume, and every bit of snarl/spit that comes out of the amp, happens that much easier with this speaker.

Plugging into a cab with a 12" speaker cab makes it sound like a Deluxe Reverb.

I have vintage amps, I have boutique amps. This PRRI is my amp of choice for home use, from clean to mean. It takes pedals well, the reverb and tremolo can spice it up nicely. The boutique amps like to be driven much harder, and that is hard to tolerate at home.

I tried vintage NOS tubes, but did not bias them. Yes, things sounded creamier, but volume dropped somewhat. I came to realize that Fender knew what it was doing to achieve that tone with the inexpensive tubes chosen in the build.

Strat, Tele, Les Paul, SG, P-90 pups; makes this amp the first choice for lower volume playing in a smaller room.

I also added the brown knobs. A brown amp needs brown knobs. Fender missed that concept.

Donald77 likes this.

16. Donald77

Donald77 Senior Stratmaster

The brown knobs look so much nicer than the original ones.

17. 335eye

335eye Senior Stratmaster

Aug 23, 2012
    Scottsdale
    I have two 66 Princeton Reverb amps. The old pine cabs really resonate bass. Add the reverby sparkle and you know where your money went. Couldn't get that from the reissues.

18. mikespe

mikespe Strat-Talker

Jun 26, 2008
    Western NY
    I've been so into my EVH 5150iii & Striped Series that I have "forgotten" what beautiful tones this couple has!
    12919679_10206280020214778_5622477069472798923_n.jpg

19. rickyp

rickyp Senior Stratmaster

May 17, 2010
    LEEDS, ALABAMA
    I'd like to see some pics of your EVH rig!!!

20. mikespe

mikespe Strat-Talker

Jun 26, 2008
    Western NY
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2016