Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Pro tools lite or Reaper?

Discussion in 'Home Recording Studio' started by Jimi Lightning, Aug 15, 2018.

1. Jimi Lightning

Jimi Lightning Senior Stratmaster

Dec 21, 2016
    Ontario, Canada
    Sooo, this has been discussed in bits and pieces and reading threads I have found contradictory advice. I know evertone has an opinion..but...I am seriously lost now.

I discoverd when I finally logged into my Focusrite account that I can get Abelton or Protools lite with the creative pack free through them. Research has shown that you can get PT free on its own as well and a demo of Reaper. Ableton seems to be out of the equation at this time.

I am running Bias Fx pro. This Is for home recording etc... With no delusions of grandeur with simple tracks.
    Which is better in your opinion and why. Dont want a yearly subscription etc... A low cost or even beter free version is best. The ability to work offline and store locally is required as I am not a fan of virtual storage.

Anyone...

Cheeers
    Jimi

2. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 28, 2011
    Pawnee, Indiana
    I’ve only used reaper recently and I have no complaints whatsoever. Their built in plugins are nice too

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.

3. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Pick the one that you like the looks of, and that you can figure stuff out in. They all do the same job.

nickmsmith likes this.

4. Jimi Lightning

Jimi Lightning Senior Stratmaster

Dec 21, 2016
    Ontario, Canada
    Yupp, I get the "like the look of" but reading the reviews some praise and some say stay away at all costs due to various issues.
    One of the big concerns is PT lite uses the cloud and its vauge on weither you can store locally. This was one that had memebrs on both sides of the fence with there own opinions. Why?
    I can figure out the interfaces , the question is which one would you choose and why with an eye to meeting the requirements I mentioned.

I have BiasFx for the tone /sound I want.
    Then your into options like loops, effects, backing tracks etc....that come or don come with the Daw. These are optional for me at this point.

5. BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid Senior Stratmaster

Oct 12, 2016
    US
    I am a Reaper user. It is cheap (low cost) and solid as a rock. No subscriptions or limitations. Even the "demo" is a fully functional version. One difference is it will nag you to pay.

Only thing I can compare it against is Adobe Audition 3.51 (the last version that still had the Cool Edit interface). I found that everything I could do in Audition I could do in Reaper.

Omar, sp8ctre and nickmsmith like this.

6. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

May 21, 2010
    Sheffield, UK
    Reaper. There's absolutely nothing "lite" about it, even in demo mode. I've used it in preference to Cubase and Sonar for donkeys years. It's always been bug fixed almost insantly and updated pretty much monthly.

Omar, TheDuck, simoncroft and 2 others like this.

7. nickmsmith

Jul 28, 2011
    Pawnee, Indiana
    The "Reaverb" effect that is built in, is really an incredible effect, when you use it as an almost inaudible reverb. It seems to bring any recording to life, TBH. I've even used the effect on stuff recorded on an iPhone, and somehow it adds a layer of studio quality over it.

At the levels it's set at when you open the effect up, it sounds bad.

for example, here's my classical guitar thing. This is slightly more reverb than I'd use on an upbeat song, but just for example:

Last edited: Aug 15, 2018

8. Thrup'ny Bit

May 21, 2010
    Sheffield, UK
    ReaVerb or ReaVerbrate? The former requires IRs to be loaded to work properly. The plugins that come with Reaper are very usable, it can also use 32 or 64 bit VSTs.

nickmsmith likes this.

9. nickmsmith

Jul 28, 2011
    Pawnee, Indiana
    I think it was just Reaverb.

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.

10. gofmusic

gofmusic Senior Stratmaster

Sep 24, 2013
    Montevideo
    I use Adobe Audition CC and I love it (I also come from Cool Edit).

I agree that every DAW basically does the same, so pick one and stick to it, focus on recording your stuff nicely more than what DAW to use. Just because of that, I dont think Pro Tools is worth the hassle for a home studio... but thats my humble opinion.

nickmsmith likes this.

11. sssstratsss

sssstratsss Strat-Talker

Dec 6, 2017
    Shreveport, Louisiana
    Reaper is best for me.

Omar likes this.

12. TheDuck

TheDuck Most Honored Senior Member

Jan 12, 2016
    Lil' Rhody
    If by Pro Tools Lite you mean Pro Tools | First, it uses cloud saves and you have to be online to use it. It also limits you to three projects at a time. Though you can delete old ones and create new ones, but the max limit is three.

If you aren't considering getting the full version, PT | F might not be for you. Its a great DAW, but it will make you want the full version. Which is probably Avids intent.
    I stopped using PT back around version 9, and last year decided to try PT | F to see if I liked the changes for PT12.
    Well, I liked them enough to purchase PT12 (not a sub, outright purchase).

But like I said, if you arent interested in diving into the Pro Tools universe, Reaper might be a better option, or the free version of Studio One.

Omar and Miotch like this.

13. pazman6

pazman6 Strat-O-Master

Niether...........Download Cakewalk by BandLab. Now free. Used to be $99 to $499. Great DAW, Unlimited Tracks, Great Plugins, Free, Supports Video, Works just like a real mixer, 64 bit, Free, includes export audio to MP3 and 20+ other formats, includes some basic softsynths including a decent drum one for backing tracks, Free, routine updates, unlimited projects, very stable, Free,

oh --- and it's Free.

Jimi Lightning, TheDuck and vid1900 like this.

14. jstewart

jstewart Strat-O-Master

Feb 10, 2013
    Toluca Lake
    If you are in the industry and collaborating with industry people, by all means, use pro tools. It is the industry standard. That is the only reason I could imagine choosing it. As someone who used it for years, I could list a thousand things I don’t like about it but that is just me.

Reaper is rock solid. For my workflow, it is missing nothing. At $60 it is practically free.

Oh, I have used reaper now for about four years. Would you like to know how many times it has crashed? Zero. Not once.

TheDuck and Thrup'ny Bit like this.

15. Thrup'ny Bit

May 21, 2010
    Sheffield, UK
    I have that too, though I loved Cakewalk Pro Audio 9 back in the day, I much prefer Reaper to get things done.

I've been using it much longer than that and it's never crashed on me either. :)

CigBurn and TheDuck like this.

16. armycopter

armycopter Strat-Talk Member

Nov 21, 2010
    Maine
    Reaper has worked well for me over the past year. I started with the free demo and then paid the $60. Totally worth it.

17. jeff h

jeff h Senior Stratmaster

Jan 13, 2017
    Ohio
    For my purely recreational interests in recording, I downloaded Reaper and was overwhelmed. Got Abelton Lite with the Focusrite purchase and used it for a while. Not hard and I think you can record up to 8 tracks with the lite version so it works pretty well.

Most of the time these days, I am just recording band rehearsals with two mics in stereo so I just use the Audacity which is free, dead simple to use, and works well.

18. simoncroft

simoncroft Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

May 30, 2013
    SE England
    Although I'm mainly a Logic user, I've installed Reaper in the past in order to help people with technical questions. I was massively impressed by how well developed the product was. The user interface conforms to many DAW traditions, with Edit and Mix environments that equal many more expensive applications. It will work with 3rd party plug-ins, not just the ones that comes with Reaper.

The thing that impressed me most of all though was the constant development work and incremental releases. There is a reason Reaper doesn't crash: there's a whole team of programmers keeping it that way.

What I don't understand is how the Reaper team can afford to sell their product for so little. It seems to be as good as several DAWs that cost a lot more.

19. BobbyS

BobbyS Strat-O-Master

Dec 11, 2011
    Los Lunas, NM
    don't fear the Reaper.......

just had to

TheDuck likes this.

20. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Stock plugins in Reaper are quite unattractive. I am far too fashionable to stand for that.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018