Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Pro Tools mystery - Input Monitoring always on

Discussion in 'Home Recording Studio' started by TheDuck, Sep 3, 2018.

1. TheDuck

TheDuck Most Honored Senior Member

Jan 12, 2016
    Lil' Rhody
    Hey guys.

I have an issue I've been bangin' my head against the wall with for two days straight, and I am throwing out a Hail Mary that someone might have an idea what went wrong.

First off, my set up basics.

DAW: Pro Tools 12, latest release, all plug ins, drivers, etc., updated
    Interface: Eleven Rack, Firmware 2, latest drivers. Connected to Mac via USB, with
    XLRs out to monitors.
    My hardware is more than up to the task, and ran flawlessly for over a year, so I wont bother you with those boring details.

Ok, on to the mystery ...

Everything was fine, for over a year, until two days ago.
    When I start the 11R, it plays through the monitors as it should, and the 11R stand alone editor functions as it should.

When I load up Pro Tools ...
    The guitar signal seems to be "passing through" Pro Tools, as if the green Input Monitor button is always on.
    Turning the Input Monitoring on creates a short slap back echo effect, as I am then hearing both the passed through signal, and the signal going through PT.

So its as if Input Monitoring is always on, and anyone familiar with PT knows that unless you monitor or record enable a track, there should be silence.

Im sure this is a vague description, and if I get any responses, I will try my best to give more detail.

And please, no wise ass / condescending "Use another DAW" comments. :whistling:
    I am buttcrack deep in the PT world, and to change would be painful at this point.

** I've trashed my settings, did a PT reinstall, and checked and rechecked that everything associated with the hardware / software is up to date.
    Nothing helped, including Avids tech support.

So I am hoping someone has a fix, or at least a workaround.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2018

2. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

May 21, 2010
    Sheffield, UK
    I'm only sorry I have no idea on the Mac, it's drivers, 11R or Pro Tools, so I can't even offer suggestions.

TheDuck likes this.

3. Cerb

Cerb Senior Stratmaster

Jan 22, 2016
    Sweden
    I don't know either the 11R or PT but it sounds like you're hearing both the direct out from 11R to your monitors and the monitored sound from PT. I guess what you get from PT monitoring would be the signal from 11R to PT and then back to 11R and out to the monitors, correct?

My soundcard has a knob that lets me go from USB sound to direct sound or any blend in between. I can get the effect you describe by setting it in the middle so I hear both the direct sound and the processed USB sound with the 7ms latency. Could there be a similar setting on the 11R?

4. TheDuck

Jan 12, 2016
    Lil' Rhody
    I knew you'd be first to respond :thumb:

5. TheDuck

Jan 12, 2016
    Lil' Rhody
    The 11R is actually my soundcard, when PT is running, and yes, the symptom I am experiencing is exactly what you describe.

Cerb likes this.

6. Thrup'ny Bit

May 21, 2010
    Sheffield, UK
    I can get the same thing with mine, especially if I use Cubase which has terrible latency (50ms or more) on my laptop.

7. TheDuck

Jan 12, 2016
    Lil' Rhody
    Hmmm, latency is my problem, I have virtually none.
    Its the whole "signal pass through" thing that is killing me. I cant record, party because of the slight doubling effect, but mostly because when I enable input monitoring, the guitar volume increases substantially. To the point when lowering the volume slider to almost zero barely helps.

Odd indeed ...

8. Thrup'ny Bit

May 21, 2010
    Sheffield, UK
    That sort of thing usually happens to me when I go into preferences to adjust something and my dyslexic accidentally click on something else without me noticing. :mad:

TheDuck likes this.

9. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Me too.

Thrup'ny Bit and TheDuck like this.

10. TheDuck

Jan 12, 2016
    Lil' Rhody
    Oh yea, my first thought, "WTF did I do???"

I've gone over, and over, and back over all my settings. Unless I'm just retarded and missing the obvious (which is more than possible) I dont see anything amiss.

11. Cerb

Cerb Senior Stratmaster

Jan 22, 2016
    Sweden
    Is there a setting in the 11R where you can select direct or USB sound?

12. TheDuck

Jan 12, 2016
    Lil' Rhody
    I hope I can explain this correctly (fingers crossed)

The 11R usb doesnt transmit sound (unless PT is on) it only uses the usb for the stand alone editor (a editor/controller, similar to Fender FUSE software)

When PT is running, it "intercepts" the signal and routes the sound through itself, then back to the 11R to be sent via XLR to the monitors. The 11R is the soundcard in this scenario.

When PT is running, the sound can't pass through without arming the track with either the "input monitoring", or "record" button.

Hence, my problem, the sound is passing through all the time.

Cerb likes this.

13. Thrup'ny Bit

May 21, 2010
    Sheffield, UK
    Anything like this? I'm just reading the 11R manual (Is it written in English?)

TheDuck likes this.

14. TheDuck

Jan 12, 2016
    Lil' Rhody
    @Thrup'ny Bit - Exactly like that.

I tried his fix, but no luck.

15. Thrup'ny Bit

May 21, 2010
    Sheffield, UK
    Perhaps the old problem from PT11 has resurfaced in the latest release? How long since you updated?

16. TheDuck

Jan 12, 2016
    Lil' Rhody
    I updated last week, to the latest version, and yea, it seems the old issue is back.
    I've read a few forum posts from others experiencing the same issue, but so far, no answers from AVID.

My year long update sub that I got with my perpetual license expired a few days ago, and if I am no longer getting updates, I might be screwed, because PT wont let you "rollback" to a previous version.

If thats the case, I will be one very unhappy camper. :mad:

17. Cerb

Cerb Senior Stratmaster

Jan 22, 2016
    Sweden
    Bummer :(

I guess you might have to send it to me for... Errmmm... Fault finding ;)

Do you get the slap back effect on the recorded trck as well?

TheDuck likes this.

18. TheDuck

Jan 12, 2016
    Lil' Rhody
    Hehe, nice try :thumb: ;)
    The 11R is fine, its a Pro Tools issue.

I cant record, so I dont know if the slap back would be recorded, but its unlikely.

19. Thrup'ny Bit

May 21, 2010
    Sheffield, UK
    That's a real pearl of a situation. No rollback option is a really silly model, it would be suicidal on Windows machines, even Microsoft can't manage updates that don't screw everything up for somebody, at least once a month...

TheDuck likes this.

20. TheDuck

Jan 12, 2016
    Lil' Rhody
    Apple is no better these days. I hate to say it, but my next machine will be a home built PC. The "Apple Tax" just isnt worth it anymore.
    If I cant get this resolved, I'll be done with PT for good. I know and love the DAW, but AVIDs horrible business model is killing it for me.

I love the 11R, and to me, it was worth the price I paid for it and PT, but this type of bug is unacceptable. I have work to do, and PT is supposed to be a pro grade DAW. Well ....

What DAW will I use? Ugh, I dont even want to think about making the change .....

Cerb and Thrup'ny Bit like this.