Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Pro Tools mystery - Input Monitoring always on

Discussion in 'Home Recording Studio' started by TheDuck, Sep 3, 2018.

1. roger@pennyflic

roger@pennyflic Senior Stratmaster

Jul 4, 2013
    melbourne
    Did you say you did an update of something just recently and then when the problem started.

This doesn't help you now but I set up a Windows partition on my machine, loaded Windows, loaded Cakewalk and that was it. Turned off updates, infact made sure it was not connected to the internet then took a snapshot. I treat it all as a piece of "hardware"

Again, that doesn't help you but I find usually that If I have some software that works I don't update it, not sure how you will solve your problem though, sorry :oops:

TheDuck likes this.
  2. ProSonicLive

ProSonicLive Senior Stratmaster

Sep 4, 2016
    Texas
    I cant speak to your software or hardware, but perhaps turning off your input monitoring through the 11R may help? if not, you may try turning off PTs I know that turning monitoring on with my FOcusrite creates a weird tubby effect, Maybe that has surfaced with your rig.

There is also a thread on latency here. https://www.gearslutz.com/board/avi...oring-when-using-third-party-audio-inter.html

This one talks about turning off the software input monitoring.
    https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/ho...ive-to-mutetone-for-input-monitoring-off.html

I hope one helps you.

TheDuck likes this.
  3. TheDuck

TheDuck Most Honored Senior Member

Jan 12, 2016
    Lil' Rhody
    Thanks @ProSonicLive and @roger@pennyflic

I did all the usual tricks, none of them helped.
    I dug out an older PC from my relics (junk) pile and I have the 11R installed for testing purposes.

If the problem rears its ugly head on this new (old) machine, then I am thinking the 11R is bad.
    Its only a year old, and never left my studio, but sh*t happens with electronics.

I hope its not that though :thumbd:

ProSonicLive likes this.
  4. TheDuck

Jan 12, 2016
    Lil' Rhody
    Well .... it's working! At least for the moment ..... :cool:

Turns out one of the many bugs in Pro Tools is it's obnoxious tendency to reset its preferences, specifically, the I/O set up.
    Youtuber BenoniStudio posted a fix for the Windows version, but it doesn't work for Mac.
    Then again, what does work on a Mac these days? But that's for another thread :mad:

Here's how I fixed this debacle.
    Loaded Pro Tools on a PC, (never thought I'd appreciate an iLok)
    Created a session, corrected the damn bug (thanks Benoni)
    Saved the session as both a session and a template.
    Loaded said files on to a usb flash drive, then plugged the flash drive into my Mac.

Loaded up the PC created session on the Mac and what do ya know? It worked! :thumb:

I don't know what irks me more, the fact that Avid released Pro Tools 12 without correcting bugs that plagued PT as far back as version 10, or that the "fix" doesn't work on a Mac.
    Anyway, it's working, at least for now.

Thank you to everyone who gave advice and / or encouragement during my week long trip through the dark place known as Pro Tools Bugs Land.

You guys rock :thumb:

Cerb and BallisticSquid like this.
  5. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

May 21, 2010
    Sheffield, UK
    Now you love computers almost as much as I do. Happy workaround day to you. :p

Cerb, BallisticSquid and TheDuck like this.
  6. BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid Senior Stratmaster

Oct 12, 2016
    US
    That is the most ridiculous convoluted thing I've ever heard of! :). Hopefully it stays fixed...though if not, you know what to do, and you'll already have the magic session to load.

I wonder if a full uninstall/reinstall of the software would have helped? That's a shotgun approach for sure, but sometimes gets you where you need to be quickly. I had to resort to reinstalling Windows 10 on my wife's laptop to fix the fact that it wouldn't install updates any more!! I used to enjoy working with technology...now the stupidity of many of these things just pisses me off :).

TheDuck likes this.
  7. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Studio One after an update a year ago, started to just not apply the default IO to new songs created. But not all the time. :D Happens so often that I recognize it right away and go put the 6 inputs/2 outs the way they are supposed to be. Every time, I use the options to make it the default. :D

Last edited: Sep 10, 2018
    TheDuck likes this.
  8. TheDuck

Jan 12, 2016
    Lil' Rhody
    Oh yea, it was one mind numbing runaround trying to get the damn thing working. I have no idea where the idea came from, it just popped into my head when I woke up this morning.
    I probably would have said f**k it, and moved on to other hardware / software, if it weren't for the fairly substantial time and financial investment I have in the PT/11R set up.
    But yea, that session / template will be the starting point for everything I do from now on. Hopefully, nothing explodes.

I did a full uninstall / clean out / reinstall of everything PT and 11R, reset the Mac, repaired permissions, etc., etc ... the list goes on and on :confused:
    Nothing worked.

Sometimes I hate the whole "digital" guitar thing.
    I'm old school and I just want to plug in, hit the switch and make noise. But, my current living / recording situation doesn't fit my Neanderthal preferences.
    So not only do I work with computers all day, my leisure time is spent shacked to one as well.

Its like my own personal realm in Dantes Digital Hell :eek: :D

BallisticSquid, Cerb and Thrup'ny Bit like this.
  9. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

I find a lot of it annoying as well. Finally figured out that my kid is too busy to "work on" stuff with me, but he loves to play drums with me. Therefore, I am having to work out totally set in stone arrangements with ****ty midi drums and record a whole song as a "scratch" so that he can play drums to it and have fun recording. I hate programming drums. Hate. Hate. Hate. But if it's the only way I can get anything finished, I will do it.

TheDuck and Cerb like this.
  10. Cerb

Cerb Senior Stratmaster

Jan 22, 2016
    Sweden
    Yes, ianally! I'm happy for you.

The irony of having to use a PC to fix a Mac is not lost on me, and I use them both :D

TheDuck likes this.
  11. Chont

Chont Senior Stratmaster

Sep 25, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    sometimes you just need both platforms. Very convenient when you have both.

I remember years ago when I had Protools LE on a DIGI 001 at my apartment that I was using to to cut audio for film at home there was a bug where if you created a session template on a PT24/Mix system and opened it on the LE system you got SMPTE Timecode. So I used to do that and hope and pray i didn't lose it in the middle of an edit LOL. Worked like a champ.

those days are long gone for me. I haven't had to deal with PT since I had to support PT 8 and 9 at my last job.

Glad you got it sorted out.

TheDuck likes this.
  12. TheDuck

Jan 12, 2016
    Lil' Rhody
    Thanks guys. :thumb:

Hopefully things stay on track, but I cant help but think Ive merely put a band-aid on a broken leg :D

Oh, and yea @Dadocaster, programming drums is the worst :confused:

CigBurn likes this.
  13. TheDuck

Jan 12, 2016
    Lil' Rhody
    Update:

Despite my best efforts, Pro Tools and OS X High Sierra simply refuse to play nice with each other.

So I am in the process of moving all my music hardware and software to my PC.
    Disheartening, but at least I will have a fully functioning studio again.

To any Mac / Pro Tools users who may read this ...

Think long and hard before upgrading to High Sierra, You may come to regret it.

This is the second software killing update that OS X has cursed me with.
    The first being the Adobe CS6 debacle with the release of Yosemite, which forced me to upgrade to Adobe CC.
    Which I would have eventually done, but I didnt like being forced into it.

This time though ...

In recent years theres been too many compatibilty issues, software breaking updates, crazy high price increases and mediocre hardware offerings.

All combining to push me back to the world of dual boot Windows / Linux PCs.

Sigh ...........

ProSonicLive likes this.
  14. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.
    Well, at least you have Linux.

TheDuck likes this.
  15. roger@pennyflic

Jul 4, 2013
    melbourne
    I was gonna congratulate you on a real bit of innovation for this fix but then read further down. What the damn hell.

The lastest version of Bandcamp Cakewalk that I have recently been using has the same bugs in it as the original version I started using about 20(??) years ago. But that's okay, cuz I know them and know the work arounds. I can only reiterate my previous suggestion. Make the machine a dedicated DAW. Get it off the internet and avoid any updates whatsoever. If it aint broke..well you know.

Another hobby of mine is a programming language I have been developing and it has gone like this so far...

Orignated on Linux... an absolute dream :thumb:
    Ported to Windows... pulling out my hair :(
    Ported to OSX.......... abandoned, absolutely impossible. :mad:

Don't get me started but if these companies spent time on fixing bugs instead of giving us updates that are in most cases cosmetic it would be a far better world..but...don't get me started..

Goodluck with Windows/PC Tools/11R

TheDuck and ProSonicLive like this.
  16. Silverstrat69

Silverstrat69 Strat-Talker

Jun 11, 2018
    USA
    Mac user here, still running old os because of protools. There's a free piece of software called "Pro Tools Pref and Database Helper" that works great for resetting everything if you run into bugs within protools. Not sure if it will work in the new system but you could give it a shot.

TheDuck likes this.
  17. ProSonicLive

ProSonicLive Senior Stratmaster

Sep 4, 2016
    Texas
    There really are too many good alternatives to PT these days to be tied to heavily to them.

18. TheDuck

Jan 12, 2016
    Lil' Rhody
    Thanks @Silverstrat69. Unfortunately, it didnt work.

I've been in the PT world for years, and to change now wouldn't work for me. I collaborate professionally with many people, and they all use PT.
    Despite what the haters say, PT is still the industry standard. In addition, all my plug ins are AAX, and the AIR instruments are simply the best available.

The only reason I'll run windows is Adobe CC (for work) and Pro Tools. WINE doesn't run them very well at all.
    Corbins Creative Cloud can install and run CC on Ubunutu, but its still a bit buggy, and because I use CC for work, I cant be taking the time to debug.

Thanks @roger@pennyflic. I agree, these big software companies are really pissing me off with their mandatory (and in most cases irreversible) updating.
    I dont know what happening with Apple, their slogan used to be "It just works", and it was true. These days though, they seem more interested in forcing people to run a gaffed version iOS (what OS X has become) on every Apple device made.

But whats done is done, and my old PC is buzzing along happily. With a few small hardware updates it will be ready for whatever I throw at it.
    Who knows, maybe I'll build a new beefy beast of a PC, for one tenth the price of a new under powered iMac. :thumb:

19. roger@pennyflic

Jul 4, 2013
    melbourne
    As a quick addendum...

I turned on my wife machine this morning (Windows 10) and it was doing an update. Even though I have turned updates OFF a hundred times.:mad:
    Who's f&^&^ing computer is it :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

TheDuck likes this.
  20. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.
    If you ask Microsoft, they’ll tell you it’s theirs...
    Hence the reason I’m still sticking with Linux and OSX.
    However, I hear your point about WINE, it still has a ways to go. It’s a tough spot to be in.

TheDuck and roger@pennyflic like this.