Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Pro Tools mystery - Input Monitoring always on

Discussion in 'Home Recording Studio' started by TheDuck, Sep 3, 2018.

1. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Stockholm syndrome is a condition that causes hostages to develop a psychological alliance with their captors as a survival strategy during captivity.

[​IMG]

2. roger@pennyflic

roger@pennyflic Senior Stratmaster

Jul 4, 2013
    melbourne
    I think there might be a great deal of people that use Windows for one apllication, either as a VM or on a separate partition.
    And then there are all the rest.

3. fezz parka

fezz parka Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2011
    ₩¥€£§μГ
    I have a bulletproof system that runs on.......Snow Leopard. :)

TheDuck likes this.
  4. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.
    I refer to my Win 7 install as “Wintendo.” Gaming is literally the only thing it gets used for, and now that Steam has been ported to Linux...
    Tick-tock.

5. Dadocaster

OMG at 4:45pm Texas Time I put up an post claiming that Avid is holding The Duck prisoner. At 4:48 an email from Avid appeared in my inbox. I am too frightened to open it.

6. roger@pennyflic

Jul 4, 2013
    melbourne
    aaarrhh, you make light of this but it is pretty much how it happens. You get so invested in a certain product that it becomes a major decision to shift away.
    I was just about to buy an 11R when Bandcamp started giving away Cakewalk - the product I have used since the beginning.

Having tried a few others, they all kinda do the same thing so the thought of spending a great deal of time learning which button to press to do what I used to do was daunting.

It is kind of a hostage situation. Stuck between "rock'n'roll" and a hard place.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
    TheDuck likes this.
  7. Dadocaster

I have an 11r but I bought a free range (used) unit to avoid being enslaved. With the free Editor Download I can do what I need to do and it was damned cheap.

roger@pennyflic likes this.
  8. roger@pennyflic

Jul 4, 2013
    melbourne
    Sadly, in Australia, they are damned expensive :(. Especially compared to a free DAW. Especially compared to telling the wife, after just buying another guitar, that I wanted to spend $1,000 on something else. Not sure if you guys in 'merica really appreciate how cheap your stuff is over there. Soooo jealous.:oops:

9. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.
    Mate, it’s better to have healthcare, trust me.

Cerb, roger@pennyflic and TheDuck like this.
  10. Dadocaster

Sssshhhhhhhhhhh

Cerb likes this.
  11. TheDuck

TheDuck Most Honored Senior Member

Jan 12, 2016
    Lil' Rhody
    Clever @Dadocaster :cool:
    @roger@pennyflic - The only way to stop Win 10 from updating is to take the machine offline. Otherwise, no matter what options you uncheck, the OS will just ignore you.

I think some of you misunderstand what started all this. It was Apple, not Avid, and though I have no love loss for either, PT is a large part if how I make a living.

If it were just a hobby, I would have stayed with Logic.

My PC is rumning PT12 without a hitch, and Ive done a “brute force” rollback install of OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan on my Mac.
    Something Apple does everything in their power to stop, but f*ck them, its MY computer :mad:

Either way, PT and me will keep on keepin’ on. What OS Im using is a distant second on my consideration list.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
  12. Dadocaster

I did not misunderstand and my characterization is not inaccurate. So it was Apple......this time. :D

Avid: It rubs the DAW on it's skin or it gets the hose again!!

TheDuck likes this.
  13. TheDuck

Jan 12, 2016
    Lil' Rhody
    If it were up to me, Id still be using a Fostex four track with a Marshall half stack mic’d in the closet.

Ahhhhh .... (begins singing Memories)

Modern conveniences are great, but they come with a price.

Cerb likes this.
  14. roger@pennyflic

Jul 4, 2013
    melbourne
    I got a bit lost there @duck.

I understood that you are moving across to Windows cuz everything works on that, but got lost whether you identified where the problem actually lay.
    Can you give us a quick recap for the slow minded (me) ??. Where was the actual fault. ?

15. roger@pennyflic

Jul 4, 2013
    melbourne
    Yeah, I think your right.
    Funny thing is, my daughter is the UK and if you need to see a doctor you make an appointment 3 weeks out. Weird.

Was that an 11R or a triple bypass sir ??

16. TheDuck

Jan 12, 2016
    Lil' Rhody
    @roger@pennyflic - After exhaustive research and testing, I concluded the latest OS X update broke PT.

Its well documented on Avids forums. Not all users land on the chopping block, but I did.

Its partially my fault for allowing the update, but in my defense, how was I to know?

duzie and roger@pennyflic like this.
  17. ProSonicLive

ProSonicLive Senior Stratmaster

Sep 4, 2016
    Texas
    Thats cool. If you have a reason for staying, it's not an issue, especially if you colab with others, but for a one man operation there is no reason to not consider others as well when considering PTs.

18. TheDuck

Jan 12, 2016
    Lil' Rhody
    Quick info update for Mac users.
    You Windows and Linux guys can read it too :D

Pro Tools 12 2018.7 running great on Mac OS El Capitan 10.11.6 :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
    Forced rollback corrected the issue.

Apple does everything in their power to stop users from reverting to an older OS, but it can be done.
    Avid is aware of the bug, and has not yet certified High Sierra 10.13.6 for PT12 2018.7

Seems if I had read the Avid pages before I allowed the OS update, I could have spared myself a metric sh*t ton of misery.
    You would think after almost twenty years of computer use I'd know better. :thumbd:
    Kudos to you guys running older Mac OS on your machines. I never fully understood why many people never update, but I certainly get it now.
    My Mac will run El Capitan until it's dying day. I'll never allow another OS update on this machine.

Live and learn ...

19. BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid Senior Stratmaster

Oct 12, 2016
    US
    A few years ago there was a seller selling them on Ebay that were new but didn't include the ProTools license. I paid $280 I think. I checked periodically back and they would have hundreds of them for sale.

Sweetwater is selling them much cheaper now also. They are kind of long in the tooth at this point despite how awesome they are.

Not sure how shipping to Australia impacts things....perhaps that's what sends it over the edge.

I need to dig in with mine again. I got so focused on fine tuning my tone on my GT-100 for my band I haven't spent time with my 11R.

@TheDuck Glad to hear you got this mess straightened out. What you went through is why I never update/upgrade unless I'm forced to. The PC I use for music is still running Windows 8. Windows 10 for free? Thanks, but no thanks...I'm good. :)

TheDuck likes this.
  20. roger@pennyflic

Jul 4, 2013
    melbourne
    Congratulations @duck you deserve a medal for persistance.
    At least you've had a happy ending.
    Now unplug that ethernet cable and never let an upgrade darken your doorstep again.

P.S. I wonder why they call them "UPGRADES"

TheDuck likes this.