Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Properly shielding and grounding a pickguard

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by tw0409, Jul 28, 2011.

1. tw0409

tw0409 Strat-Talk Member

Jul 11, 2011
    LA
    Hi,

I am currently buying parts for a new strat pickguard. I tried to look for tutorial online for proper shielding and grounding but could not find one that starts from scratch(with all the pups and wire uninstalled). From I've learned as far, shielding without proper ground is an incomplete effort...

Does anyone have a wiring diagram that includes a grounding wiring for 5 way SSS strat?

2. stevierayfan91

stevierayfan91 Dog Whisperer. Strat-Talk Supporter

Feb 20, 2011
    Private.

3. tw0409

tw0409 Strat-Talk Member

Jul 11, 2011
    LA
    Hello.... Thanks for the reply.

That's actually the first place I went to. It does have some useful info though I am not knowledgeble enough to understand some of the content. i.e. I don't get why he uses capacitors of different values. I think what I am really looking for is a clear wiring diagram with the all ground wires...

Or...anyone could share some pictures of your well grounded pickguard...

Thanks

Last edited: Jul 28, 2011

4. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Senior Stratmaster

May 26, 2006
    Jacksonville, FL
    here's how I do it

Ron Kirn

Attached Files:

• 020.jpg
      020.jpg
      File size:
      68.7 KB
      Views:
    • 023.jpg
      023.jpg
      File size:
      57.4 KB
      Views:

5. Humulus

Humulus Strat-Talker

Jun 17, 2011
    Indiana
    Its pretty simple really, get some copper shielding tape from stewmac.com. Cover The parts of the pickguard that cover the guitars routes. Solder a wire lead from the copper shielding to the back of the volume pot.

The page linked above was not working for me but I am a little confused what youre asking. Capacitors dont have anything to do with the shielding. The capacitor is used to filter off high frequency tone for the tone pots. Caps allow high frequency AC to pass through it. All caps pass the highest frequencies, larger cap values add lower and lower frequencies to the high ones.

Are you wanting a wiring diagram for the whole pickguard? A google search turned up many, heres one.
    Basically, solder black leads from the pups to the back of the volume pot along with the black lead from the jack, the ground wire to the screw in the body and the ground wire on the trem claw. I solder leads from the back of each tone pot to the vol pot as well....overkill maybe

6. tw0409

tw0409 Strat-Talk Member

Jul 11, 2011
    LA
    Okay....so i could just use the standard wiring but have a lead connects the copper pickguard shield and the ground on the output jack?
    would this work? correct me if I am wrong...

7. tw0409

tw0409 Strat-Talk Member

Jul 11, 2011
    LA
    I have a noob question....

I check the standard wiring for a strat and find that all the pots are grounded to the output jack.... but why do you need to ground every pot individually? Is that the better way to do?

8. Humulus

Humulus Strat-Talker

Jun 17, 2011
    Indiana

The back of the volume pot is Ground Central Station. Just solder everything going to ground there and solder the leads to chassis ground (trem claw and usually a screw in the rout for the pots) there. The ground on the output jack should also go to the back of the vol pot. If you solder jumpers between the pots, then the backs of all the pots go to ground.

9. Steve St.Lauren

Steve St.Lauren Strat-Talker

Aug 20, 2010
    Mid Michigan
    If you have one solid piece of copper on the back of your pickguard then your volume pot is going to be grounded simply by being attached to the pickguard. You've got a good amount of surface area contact between the two. Just look at the pot and you'll see that the screw threads are continuously connected to the body of the pot. You can easily verify that with a multi meter if you wish.

Myself I do like pictured above but I also shield the inside of the output jack cavity and I wrap shielding around a straw and put that through the opening between the two cavities and solder that on both sides. I wrap all the copper shielding over the edge onto the top of the guitar so that the cooper on the pickguard and the output jack plate connect with the shielding.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2011

10. ras1500

ras1500 Strat-Talker

Apr 1, 2011
    QC, Arizona
    In addition to the pickup cavity (and output jack cavity) does anybody shield the tremolo cavity too? Is it necessary?

11. Ronkirn

May 26, 2006
    Jacksonville, FL
    If you use a real shield plate, the aluminum one , such is not necessary... if you rely on the mickey mouse tin foil, you better hard wire to every ground point you can think of...

Nobody that's sane that I know of.. ;)

Ron

12. tw0409

tw0409 Strat-Talk Member

Jul 11, 2011
    LA
    So....just to be clear...

I could follow THIS DIAGRAM except that I have to hard wire another lead from the back of vol. pot to the tremelo claw right? (also... I am using copper shield)

13. Captain Bb

Captain Bb Strat-O-Master

Aug 8, 2007
    UK
    Not a problem if you install the aluminuim foil properly in the first place. I spray mount it to the back of the pickguard and have never had a problem.

14. midifarm

midifarm Commercial Suspension

Jan 31, 2009
    Minneapolis
    I shielded mine a little differently. I have a CS pickguard with the metal shielding. Instead of wire grounding it, I connected my Ni Print shielding to the screw holes on the body where they would come into contact with the back of the guard. This would ensure several contact points completing the circuit. It worked out pretty well.

15. tw0409

tw0409 Strat-Talk Member

Jul 11, 2011
    LA
    another noob question...

Is the ground "different" on the tremelo claw than output jack? why is it better to get everything grounded on the claw?

16. Humulus

Humulus Strat-Talker

Jun 17, 2011
    Indiana
    The claw and usually a second ground to a screw in the switch rout provide chassis ground which serves as a zero point for the circuit and a trash can for unwanted noise. The claw is used because its a convenient place to do it, and it grounds the strings. The output jack ground is the zero point for the output hot lead and, hopefully, is connected to earth ground from the amps 3 prong jack.

17. otis66

otis66 Strat-Talker

Jun 15, 2011
    Dover NJ
    Were did you get the plate for the pick-gaurd?

18. Ronkirn

May 26, 2006
    Jacksonville, FL

19. tw0409

tw0409 Strat-Talk Member

Jul 11, 2011
    LA
    If I solder the output jack ground lead (black ?) with everything thats supposed to be grounded at the vol pot then connect them to the tremelo claw, will I get a ground loop?

20. Ronkirn

May 26, 2006
    Jacksonville, FL
    here's another example...

rk

Attached Files:

• 005.jpg
      005.jpg
      File size:
      79.1 KB
      Views: