Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

PRS as a LP replacement: Great, but not what I was expecting. Other options?

Discussion in 'Non-Fender S-Type Guitar Forum' started by diogoguitar, Dec 17, 2017.

1. diogoguitar

diogoguitar Strat-O-Master

Feb 2, 2012
    Northwest US
    I have a love and hate relationship with my Les Paul: great sound and sustain, but terrible ergonomics: no tummy cut, funny geometry for my forearm and terrible 17-22 fret access.
    But the sound... all worth it. To make things harder, I'm lefty

I started to think what really makes a Les Paul sound the way it sounds and check whether aren't there any alternatives. There is a whole can of worms on why a Les Paul has a unique sound, but after doing some YouTube and forums research, I thought a PRS would be a good idea to check out.

A PRS checks several boxes:
    - Mahogany body
    - Mahogany neck
    - Set neck construction
    - Smaller scale (25")
    - Two humbuckers
    - Non-floyd tremolo

All that, with the advantage of having better ergonomics. The fret access is awesome on the 24 fret version, great on the 22 fret version.

Fortunately, there is a local dealer with 8 (eight) left-handed PRS's, which is crazy for me. The dealer was nice enough to let me play this beauty through a nice amp for as long as I wanted. When I was testing, I realized it was not too heavy, my forearm and ribs rest well in the body. Great.

I tested different pickup, knobs and amp settings. Great guitar overall, but nowhere near the sustain of a Les Paul. Although it was an excellent guitar, I couldn't get what I was really looking for.

Are there any other options? The three most important things for me are: better fret access, the tummy cut and the sustain.
    Oh, and by "sustain", I mean how the guitar responds to the string struck in the first second, not really how long the note lasts. I'm not joe satriani

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 18, 2017
    Yaralag, circles, abnormaltoy and 2 others like this.

2. Robins

Robins Dr. von Loudster Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 22, 2010
    Germany
    Gibson SG.

All the best,
    Robin

3. albala

albala Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

May 10, 2012
    stamford, CT
    Gibson CS-336

abnormaltoy likes this.

4. stratcpo

stratcpo Senior Stratmaster

Jan 19, 2010
    south texas USA
    Maybe try one of their singlecut guitars like the SC245 or 250. I have a SC245 with 57/08 pickups that gets real close to the LP vibe. ENJOY!!!

abnormaltoy and diogoguitar like this.

5. jvin248

jvin248 Senior Stratmaster

Jan 10, 2014
    Michigan

Try a hard tail/stop tail 22 fret PRS. The neck pickup moves back on the 24 fret version so its sound will be more like an SG than an LP in 2/3rds of the switch positions. I've found sustain follows the amount of string beyond the nut/saddles that can stretch and the friction in the system -- just like a car's spring and shocks can keep you bouncing down the road or not. Trem and longer string bits can offer more movement. Check out the SE models too. Wild that your shop has so many lefty models.

Miotch and abnormaltoy like this.

6. henderman

henderman Most Honored Senior Member

Dec 4, 2013
    largo,fl
    Try a PRS Singlecut like mentioned above.

abnormaltoy likes this.

7. diogoguitar

Feb 2, 2012
    Northwest US
    I couldn't find a PRS singlecut in left handed anywhere :(

abnormaltoy likes this.

8. stratobiker

stratobiker Senior Stratmaster

Sep 16, 2011
    France
    Flying V! I am serious. Try one and tell me why it doesn’t work.

9. Tomas83

Tomas83 Strat-O-Master

Jul 30, 2014
    NE in the 4 corners
    I would try other PRS guitars. I played so many that were just wow. Also G&L has Ascari model that is 2 hunbuckers, double cut and 24.75 scale they are great guitars. And don’t forget about Gibson Nighthawk. They are 25.5 scale though. Studio has 2 humbuckers and the standard has a mini humbucker in the neck, single coil in the middle and humbucker in the bridge, slanted like the Strat bridge pup. I saw the studio model last night on CG used section for $550...

circles and abnormaltoy like this.

10. Highway Star

Highway Star Former Member

Apr 22, 2016
    Who knows?
    My guess is that the closest you get to a Les Paul with a PRS is the new McCarty 594. Same scale lenght and thicker body than other PRS guitars and a some other features as well. And it looks awesome as well. It is worth to check out:

https://www.guitarplayer.com/gear/review-prs-mccarty-594

abnormaltoy likes this.

11. nederemer

nederemer Strat-O-Master

Oct 25, 2017
    Somerset, Kentucky, USA.
    lp_ctm_lit_cwh_back.jpg Gibson custom lite has a belly cut. Might look into it. Still no excellent fret access though.

Here's a picture of the back of the lite so you can see the tummy cut. It's also thinner than a standard Gibson.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2017
    abnormaltoy likes this.

12. alderre

alderre Strat-O-Master

May 1, 2014
    New Braunfels
    American special Mustang excellent fret access. [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 17, 2017

13. sam_in_cali

sam_in_cali Scream for me Strat-Talk! Strat-Talk Supporter

Feb 21, 2014
    Santa Maria, CA

14. Seafoam

Seafoam Strat-Talk Member

Nov 28, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland

15. s5tuart

s5tuart My Dad used to say.... Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 8, 2011
    Bedford, UK
    Les Paul Axcess or if you're lucky enough to find one, a Les Paul Artist! (Don't worry if it hasn't got the Moog innards; it'll devalue the guitar but the potted pups from that era are sublime without all the cr*p...ask me how I know! :D . )
    Even rarer I think are the first Les Paul Recordings. The later ones don't have the tummy cut.
    :D

abnormaltoy likes this.

16. s5tuart

Aug 8, 2011
    Bedford, UK
    abnormaltoy likes this.

17. nederemer

nederemer Strat-O-Master

Oct 25, 2017
    Somerset, Kentucky, USA.
    Hagstrom just released a RD Artist rip off called the fantomen. It looks to be fairly popular. Might be an alternative.

abnormaltoy and s5tuart like this.

18. s5tuart

Aug 8, 2011
    Bedford, UK
    I just remembered the Dickey Betts Les Paul Red Top model has one too if you don't mind the price! :eek:

abnormaltoy likes this.

19. diogoguitar

Feb 2, 2012
    Northwest US
    btw, although I was looking at PRS ($3,500+), I'm not that inclined to get a guitar like that.
    I do have some pretty nice guitars, but unless the guitar is absolutely astonishing, great to play and extremely comfortable, I won't spend more than $2,000 in it.

I was considering the PRS SE custom 24 (korean version for just under $900). Great guitar, but like its American sister, it doesn't have the LP sustain.

I just noticed Gibson launched the new High Performance Les Pauls with tummy cut (OMFG finally) and better fret access joint. I didn't get the chance to play one, but I heard multiple horror stories about Gibson Company's new management, with poor quality controls. I think they jacked up the MSRP from $2,899 to $3,629 in a single year, which doesn't help me get a guitar, either. Hopefully they launch a more affordable HP version later this year.

abnormaltoy and Tomas83 like this.

20. diogoguitar

Feb 2, 2012
    Northwest US
    YES!!!! ESP Eclipse came on my radar. Thanks for mentioning. Nice fret access and a tummy cut. Hard to find a Japanese version though... we'll see.
    Have you played one by any chance? I wonder if they have that LP sustain

abnormaltoy likes this.