Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Pure vintage '65 strat pickups Fender

Discussion in 'Pickup Forum' started by danbudai, Dec 24, 2017.

1. danbudai

danbudai Strat-Talk Member

Jul 3, 2011
    Timisoara, Romania
    Hi all,

I am thinking about changing the pickups on my MIM Fender Classic Series Strat (details :) ).

Actual configuration is B: SSL5 M: SSL2 N: Lindy Fralin Vintage Hot

Desired configuration is a set of Pure Vintage '65 strat pickups by fender.

I usually play blues/indie/classic Rock with clean and smooth drives.

Actual configuration is a mix of good pups bot somehow they don't work well for me. The Franlin is a keeper for sure.

What is your experience with the pure vintage 65s?

Are these noisy, clean and creamy?

Thanks all,
    Dan

2. Morgenholz

Morgenholz Strat-Talker

Jan 17, 2015
    Indianapolis
    Hi Dan,
    You have a pretty good set installed! However, it may indeed not be working for your intended use. They sound perhaps a little too hot for what you indicate you enjoy playing.
    Although they are my favorite Fender pickups (I own twelve strats, each with a different set), the sound of '65's is instantly recognizable but difficult to describe in an isolated sense. Here goes: They have a distinct mid-sixties "scoop," and I would describe them as having more "bite," or "cut," than earlier Fender pickups, while being a bit less "glassy," and are a bit "meatier" than the '69's. Those are all subjective terms and ridiculous in the context of music. To provide more universal reference, I think they sound a lot like the guitars that Jimi Hendrix was using on his first two albums and at Monterrey. At high gain, they sound kinda like Jimmy Page on "Achilles' Last Stand." I also think that they handle gain and fuzz more gracefully than the earlier Fender winds. I enjoy 1956-1964-style pickups for clean play, but the '65's will do clean just fine, with a little more attitude when you dig in.
    The above is pretty pathetic, but I hope it provides a starting point for further discussion.

3. danbudai

Jul 3, 2011
    Timisoara, Romania
    Hi Morgenholz (Guten Abend :) ),

I could not have hopped for a better response. Thanks a lot for the description. I think I got the point. Will need to buy them so I will try for myself but yeah this review makes sense.

Dan

4. Percy

Percy Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

I have never tried the 65's but if you are looking for a vintage clean sounding set of pick ups try the 57/62's.....I love them for their vintage blues sound.....

5. Antigua

Antigua Senior Stratmaster

Feb 28, 2014
    in between
    It's not really a low output set like the CS 69's. The Pure Vintage '65 is three pickups that are all 2.6 henries. That's equivalent to three Fat 50's bridge pickups in all three positions.

What will probably stand out the most for people about these "three of a kind" sets is how bright the bridge and middle are compared to the neck pickup. Most sets these days are "balanced", with a hot middle and even hotter bridge pickup, it causes a Strat to sound smoother, with less dramatic trebles. These vintage sets do evoke a more vintage tone because when you go to play some Buddy Holly or Dick Dale you have a properly thin and bright bridge tone. A lot of guitarists don't like such bright pickups for modern music, though. What some regard as a legendary tone, they call "ice pick".

amstratnut and danbudai like this.

6. danbudai

Jul 3, 2011
    Timisoara, Romania
    Thanks man for the feedback. Good point as well!!! What pickups do you like? What music do you play? What would you choose?

7. Morgenholz

Morgenholz Strat-Talker

Jan 17, 2015
    Indianapolis
    Ha. I grew up in the sixties and seventies. When I hear modern balanced sets, I have to double-check that it is actually a strat in which they are installed.

This is some good advice that I could not have provided, because my brain would not have noted it.

danbudai likes this.

8. mabley123

mabley123 Senior Stratmaster

Oct 21, 2010
    kentucky
    The 65s shouldn't have any more/less noise than any properly functioning single coil.

Ive got a partscaster that I used 1 original 65, and 2 x 66 pups. most 65-66 have the same Grey Bobbin pickups, although some Black Bobbins are still found as late as 67. They changed the Grey in March 64, and started changing back to Black starting around 72.

I also used a .1uf cap in my PCr, as that's what originally came with them, are what my 82 Fullerton has, and generally like that cap value.

In I believe it was 69 Fender changed the tone cap to .5uf/.047 vs .1uf, and also changed to enamel vs cloth lead wires.

Ive also got an early 82 x 62 Fullerton Reissue Strat. 6-25-82/v002504, 3 Red Bobbins which are the earliest 57/62 set, and they IMHO get more of a 50s/Layla type vibe vs 65/66. They originally came in 3 bobbin colors. Red, Grey, Black, with Black being the most numerous color, and Red/Grey least. No Reds/Greys have been found past v008000. The Japan guitars also got these earliest electronics from USA Fender. I believe the pups were redesigned in the late 90s.

The earliest Fullerton Reissues 57/62 have enamel lead wire vs cloth. By Dec 82 they had changed to cloth, but the Red/Grey pups were gone.

I then have my 1 owner 71 4 bolt Strat, and its pickups sound different vs the other 2. While no more output, they sound more rock and roll vs the 65s sound more piano like. 65s seemingly have better note definition, though that could also be because I have an Ilitch Noise Reduction system.

If I had to pick in order which I like it would be the 65s, 71s, and 57/62s, but they all sound really good, and all sound like a Strat with some minor variation. They all still sound like a Strat is bottom line.

Ive also got 2 x 71 pups laying around for my next PCr, and am thinking of either the Twangbanger, or the Custom Shop. SSL 1C DG Scatterwound.

Or just going totally crazy, and making a Frankenstrat, and buying a Sustainiac, 71 Strat pup crammed next to the Sustainiac, 71 Strat Pup in Middle, and a Tom Holmes H455.. A2/8.3k in the Bridge, Super Vee Locking Tremolo, Ilitch

Ive already got the Body/Neck, but would have to have the body routed for the Sustainiac, neck single coil, and HBr. Probably pool route.

The body is a Musikraft 1 piece extra light Swamp Ash body, in Fiesta Red, and I sent Tommy at USA Custom Guitars my 71 Rosewood board 4 bolt Strat neck, and he copied to Maple cap, but it could be that a flatter board may be better. 16 radius

danbudai and Percy like this.

9. Percy

Percy Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Great info here as always i read your posts because i know how knowledgeable you are on 57/62 reissue Strats.....

I just purchased a beat but all original 1991 62 reissue Vintage White[i tried and tried to buy an early Corona or Fullerton but too pricey for what i need it for]and i love how it sounds so thick.It is not a light weight Strat maybe 8.5 lbs but i have never been happier about a gear purchase.:thumb:

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/1991-FENDER-USA-AMERICAN-VINTAGE-STRATOCASTER-ST62-VWH-V-SERIAL-NITRO-RELIC/282759549945?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Last edited: Dec 24, 2017

10. Antigua

Antigua Senior Stratmaster

Feb 28, 2014
    in between
    I play everything from folk to metal. I'd recommend the 57/62's, with 2.2H inductance they're on par with CS 69's. With the lower output / higher resonance you can get the Strattiest Strat sound you'd ever want, and then dial it back with the tone control. With the hotter sets, like Texas Specials, or even the PV 65, you set the treble ceiling a lower, and you can't raise it without using a very low capacitance guitar cable. I think the amount of praise you see out there for both the CS 69 and the 57/62 owes to extended frequency response.

danbudai likes this.

11. danbudai

Jul 3, 2011
    Timisoara, Romania
    @mabley123 thanks for the detailed answer. I see a tendency towards the 65. Thanks, Dan

12. Guy Named Sue

Guy Named Sue Beer me up Scotty Strat-Talk Supporter

Feb 11, 2015
    Sweden
    If you have a shop near you that is a Fender dealer I'd recommend to see if they have a 65 reissue in stock and try it out. I personally love the pickup, but I've since long stopped giving advice on pickup selection for others cause it's really hard to say if what's good for me is actually good for you or not.

Good luck on the hunt!

danbudai likes this.

13. danbudai

Jul 3, 2011
    Timisoara, Romania
    Hi, would be great but no fender shops near me.
    Will have to go with my feelings and reviews and such forum posts.
    Thanks for the advice.
    Dan

14. danbudai

Jul 3, 2011
    Timisoara, Romania
    The set arrived today!
    Will set them in during the evening. Good time to do some adjustments on the strat and I will shield with aluminium foil the pickguard.

received_10215691162299188.jpeg received_10215691172739449.jpeg

David Garner and Guy Named Sue like this.

15. Guy Named Sue

Guy Named Sue Beer me up Scotty Strat-Talk Supporter

Feb 11, 2015
    Sweden
    Very exciting, can't wait to see what you think of them! Congrats!

danbudai likes this.

16. danbudai

Jul 3, 2011
    Timisoara, Romania
    Thank you for sharing the excitement!!
    Will share pictures from during the action.

Guy Named Sue likes this.

17. Vic Interceptor

Vic Interceptor Strat-Talk Member

Dec 28, 2017
    Sparkleberry SC
    I had the 57/62's in a 60s style Strat, but thought they were too glassy, shrill, and thin. I replaced them with the 65 set, and although they were maybe 20% less shrill, they were one of the more bland and generic sounding Fender pickups I've ever tried. I was not impressed and sold them. My other strat has the 69's in it, and I like them the best for the neck and middle but the bridge is the worst sounding Strat pickup ever. Of all the Strats I own, the most "Strat" sounding one, is a 60s Classic Vibe. I will say it's 1st year production, which I have no idea if that matters... but that sucker just screams STRAT!!!! (it is not my favorite or most played, either). If an alien came to earth and said what does the most popular instrument you have sound like - that would be the one I plug in.

danbudai likes this.

18. SurfsUp

SurfsUp Strat-O-Master

May 18, 2016
    C-Town, Ontario
    Awesome pickup's.

you'll be happy with these

danbudai likes this.

19. KyStratman

KyStratman Strat-Talk Member

Nov 27, 2016
    Kentucky
    I love mine. They’re my favorite set of non RWRP. They handle prettty high levels of fuzz/distortion really well too

danbudai likes this.

20. danbudai

Jul 3, 2011
    Timisoara, Romania
    Hi all, pickups are installed! As it was late I could only play them at low level and without my pedalboard, but whohooo I can say these pickups are melodic and balanced and not to bright nor to dark, so at this moment I am very happy and proud as these are the first pickups I changed myself.

I will test them with my pedals, but guess they will sound awesome.
    Because of the excitement I forgot to take pictures, made just two with the volume pot and the input jack :).

IMG_20171230_223935.jpg IMG_20171230_215243.jpg

bh1812 and Guy Named Sue like this.