Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Questions on couple of Japanese Teles

Discussion in 'Telecaster/Esquire Forum' started by ivan H, Nov 4, 2017.

1. ivan H

ivan H Strat-Talker

Jul 29, 2016
    Australia
    Ok, so I'm after a Tele to do a Keef Riffhard "Micawber" type thing, not the look, just the 5 string, open G, hot bridge/PAF type neck type thing. I have the chance to buy 2 Fender Japan teles, reasonably same price range. The first is this C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_fender-tele-52-1995_01.jpg C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_fender-tele-52-1995_06-600x600.jpg
    This is a 1995 '52 with V shaped neck & vintage frets, 7.25 radius. Question for the knowledgeable, does that body look like ash or basswood. Seller lists it as a "light weight" Tele.
    The second is this C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_fender-tele-71_05-600x600.jpg C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_fender-tele-71_05.jpg
    This is a 2004 '71 reissue & I believe an ash body. Questions, I "believe" these MIJ's to be pretty well the same spec as the USA models they are made after, so will a Gotoh 6 saddle (201 type) bridge plate mount straight to them, ie, mounting screw holes be in the same place. Is there any reason one would be preferable over the other for a Micawber conversion. Thanks in advance. Cheers

2. Paperback Rocker

Paperback Rocker Nitro-mancer Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 18, 2014
    Victoria TX
    Something looks un-ash like about that top one, for sure. It's closer to Micawber though.

ivan H likes this.

3. ivan H

ivan H Strat-Talker

Jul 29, 2016
    Australia
    Thanks for the quick answer. I've tried looking for the specs but cant find a lot about. I know about zilch regarding timbers but do know basswood is a soft, light wood, & the seller does say its light. I've read its a kinda redish colored wood, but also that it can be bleached. Any more answers appreciated. Cheers

4. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    I'm not sure about this, but don't the Japanese guitars use metric spec parts, while the USA remains alone in the world to use imperial? Or isn't it that simple?

ivan H likes this.

5. Deebs3

Deebs3 Strat-O-Master

Jul 10, 2014
    Australia
    Love that natural finish, I think it may not be basswood, isn't that reserved for the charcoal bursts? Currently gassing for one that's all.

ivan H likes this.

6. stratman323

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Basswood isn't reserved for anything, it's used for a whole variety of guitars. The top one looks a bit like sen to me.

ivan H likes this.

7. Cerb

Cerb Senior Stratmaster

Jan 22, 2016
    Sweden
    I don't know if the top one is sen or ash but it's definitely not basswood. Basswood has very little grain in comparison.

20671-02-1000.jpg

ivan H likes this.

8. Cerb

Cerb Senior Stratmaster

Jan 22, 2016
    Sweden
    And yeah, all MIJ guitars I've owned used metric measurements.

ivan H likes this.

9. danlad

danlad Strat-Talk Member

Aug 24, 2015
    here
    The 71 (if like mine) will have 70s style tuners & logo, which I suppose means more things to change if you're going full replica rather than just putting in a humbucker. Neck quite slender.

But yeah, vintage mount bridge so if the Gotoh bridge is that it ought go on fine.

ivan H likes this.

10. ivan H

ivan H Strat-Talker

Jul 29, 2016
    Australia
    The bridge is my biggest concern. Here is Stew Mac's dimensions for the Gotoh GT201 bridge C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_images(19).png
    As you can see, the outside two mounting holes are 2.550" apart, center to center & the inner two are spaced 0.850" from the outters. If you could check these dimensions against yours I would be truly appreciative. The Gotoh 201 has a brass base plate like Keith had fitted to Micawber. A full on replica would be cool, but I'm not really thinking of doing. Just the brass, 6 (5) saddle bridge, bridge pickup wound to 10k, reverse mounted PAF neck pickup (I have A2 & A5 types to try, both symmetrical & assymetrical coils) & broadcaster blender control wiring. I have a Gibson 300k pot for the volume. Cheers

11. danlad

danlad Strat-Talk Member

Aug 24, 2015
    here
    I'll check with my ruler tomorrow

ivan H likes this.

12. ivan H

ivan H Strat-Talker

Jul 29, 2016
    Australia
    Thankyou. Cheers

13. Skinny Nitro

Skinny Nitro Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 21, 2013
    Merseyside UK
    The Gotoh bridge is standard vintage screw fixing as used on Fender Pat Pend, Mex Standard and all other aftermarket vintage style bridges.

The wood used for the natural body as Stratman323 said is almost certainly the so called Japanese "Ash" or Sen not North American Swamp Ash.
    True Japanese Ash is known as Tamo in Japan.
    Sen comes from a different family of trees to ash but has a similar appearance.

ivan H likes this.

14. stratman323

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    But is the Gotoh stuff metric or imperial? Surely that's the most important thing to know?

Apparently sen is more closely related to ivy than anything else.

ivan H likes this.

15. danlad

danlad Strat-Talk Member

Aug 24, 2015
    here
    With a squint & a steel rule I get 64mm centre to centre, outer mounting screws, so sounds bob on. Any discrepancy will be me not lining the ruler up straight!

ivan H likes this.

16. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985 Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    The first one is definitely not basswood. It's probably sen.

ivan H likes this.

17. Skinny Nitro

Skinny Nitro Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 21, 2013
    Merseyside UK
    Gotoh parts are generally in metric. If there are compatibility issues they use the closest metric to imperial.

Standard Gotoh SD91 tuner posts are 6.35mm. The original Klusons had 1/4" posts
    In decimal terms they are the same size 0.25".

Take string spacing. Vintage Tele is 2 1/8", Gotoh spacing is 54mm with six 10.8mm saddles.
    How close is 54mm to 2 1/8"?
    In decimal terms 2.1259" and 2.1250". A difference of 0.0009"

The Gotoh drawing for the GTC201 bridge is metric, different to the Stewmac.
    Gotoh_gtc201_202_bridge.jpg

ivan H likes this.

18. danlad

danlad Strat-Talk Member

Aug 24, 2015
    here
    Also, my TL71 is meant to be ash, looks very like the photo. 2005 I think mine is. Will get a gratuitous grain photo.

ivan H likes this.

19. danlad

danlad Strat-Talk Member

Aug 24, 2015
    here
    Gratuitous grain photos not coming, stupidly unresponsive phone

20. ivan H

ivan H Strat-Talker

Jul 29, 2016
    Australia
    Thank you very much, greatly appreciated. I've looked at the drawings for the stock 3 saddle bridge, Gotoh GT201, including the one posted by Skinny Nitro (cool name) above, the Wilkinson 6 saddle, & yes, I believe it'll be no problem. I think I'll go with the 2004 model. Thanks for all the answers guys. Cheers