Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Re fret recommendations?

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by garyhoos1, Nov 11, 2017.

1. garyhoos1

garyhoos1 Thinking about joining a pub band. Strat-Talk Supporter

Hi
    I’m looking at a refret on a old favourite of mine 79 Strat,, in the north west of England or North Wales ?

Appreciate any feedback.

lonegroover and Yaralag like this.

2. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Certified Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

May 21, 2010
    In my own little world
    That's a real toughie, the level of trust involved is enormous. Sorry I cant help with a suggestion, but good luck with the auditions. I think it may take you a while to find the best chap for the job.

garyhoos1 and Yaralag like this.

3. stormin1155

stormin1155 Strat-Talk Member

Mar 18, 2014
    Iowa
    I can't help you locate a luthier to do the work, but as someone who has done a lot of re-frets, here are a couple of things to consider. First, specify stainless steel, some luthiers charge a bit more, but it's worth it. Ask if you can see some of his work or get references. Ask if he presses or hammers in the frets. Hammering in tends to produce results that aren't as uniform, meaning you have to mill off more material to get all of them level. Also, gluing in the frets makes it less likely that they will pop out, and allows better transfer of vibrations.

lonegroover and garyhoos1 like this.

4. jvin248

jvin248 Senior Stratmaster

Jan 10, 2014
    Michigan

Not sure how close they are but Crimson Guitar might do it. Ben has a youtube channel if you haven't seen it.
    another youtuber 'near you' in guitar repair is Sam Deeks.

I'd go with Stainless Steel frets so you don't have to do it again (it's all I use for refretting and building).

garyhoos1 likes this.

5. garyhoos1

Thanks for that it doesn’t get any easier.

I can do a lot myself but not the No 1.
    Thought about doing it even practicing on an old neck.

Much appreciated.

6. garyhoos1

Will. check these out, thank you.

7. Deschain

Deschain Strat-Talk Member

Jun 23, 2017
    Denmark
    Please note that if it has the original frets, they were pushed in from the side at the factory and will have to be knocked out from the side. Make sure that the guitar-tech you select knows about this.

I would not take it to Crimson. They make beautiful guitars, but having seen some of the refrets they have on their YT channel, I was not impressed (to put it mildly..). The job he did on Kelly Jones SG was a real mess.

garyhoos1 likes this.

8. garyhoos1

.. kelly has some nice guitars.

9. stormin1155

stormin1155 Strat-Talk Member

Mar 18, 2014
    Iowa
    Wow! I'm a guitar tech that didn't know that. I've re-fretted lots of strats, and the old fret wire was just like any other fret wire, and I re-fretted them the same as any other guitar. Was this a specific model that they installed frets that way? I don't even know where one would get that kind of fret wire... I've never seen it.

10. Deschain

Deschain Strat-Talk Member

Jun 23, 2017
    Denmark
    The fret wire is standard. Fender just drove it in from the Bass side up until 1982-84. They did it on all strats and as far as I know also on all other models.

You can pull it out the normal way, but the risk of chip-outs is higher, since there are no grooves in the wood which would normally be there if they were installed the normal way.

stormin1155 likes this.

11. lonegroover

lonegroover Senior Stratmaster

Mar 5, 2016
    England
    If you can manage a trip to North West Leicestershire, look up "Leicestershire Luthier" on Facebook. I can't recommend their work highly enough. No affiliation other than as an occasional customer.

garyhoos1 likes this.

12. garyhoos1

Thanks will look them up..