Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Reaper: I am collecting free plugins like Pokemons!!

Discussion in 'Home Recording Studio' started by Dadocaster, Mar 1, 2016.

1. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

I got reaper working and my intent is to use it for mastering. I am not crazy about the native plugs in Studio One and just wanted to try out some of the free stuff that the Reaper folks talk about and the few that some of you have mentioned. So after getting Reaper to work I imported one of my mixed but not mastered songs and played with some of the oddball EQs and found that some of the presets were really interesting and had sounds/flavors that I don't think I would have come up with. Then my OCD kicked in and I have been chasing merrily around the internet collecting plugins like a kid collecting Pokemons. It will take me a while to work through them. lololol

D

2. Dadocaster

OK, this is so awesome it's like cheating. The analysis tools and eq and stuff in Studio One I am sure are accurate and good sounding. At the same time, I find them kinda hard to read and a bit confusing. Just cranked up Reaper, put a mix of mine on one track and a reference song on the next track, put the analysis tool that I like on both, looked at the results and put an EQ on my track that has an interface with knobs and big numbers instead of a graph and tweaked until my spectrum looked a lot like the reference. Much, much better sounding after it was rendered to WAV. Is it really supposed to be this easy? Have I been torturing myself when I could have just been doing this?

D

3. suncrush

suncrush Senior Stratmaster

Mar 25, 2014
    Pittsburgh
    I really need to sit down and spend some quality time with Reaper. I have Spring Break coming up.....

4. ripgtr

ripgtr Most Honored Senior Member

Feb 16, 2012
    austin
    The FX that come with Reaper are very good. I have a lot of plugins (I used to collect free ones a long time ago) and have gotten down to where I only use a few.
    You could easily mix and master with what is in there.

As far as analysis tools, no it isn't that easy, but yes, you can make major improvements listening to and looking at major release mixes.
    Too much bass, too much around 300 Hz and too much bright will always kill a mix.

5. Dadocaster

I know it's not really that easy, but it's a helluva lot easier than starting from scratch......

The thing I like about all the plugins that are available is that they have some things that I would never try if I were using native plugins in a DAW or buying plug ins. I really like the sound of some of the compressors that are not transparent. With the free plugins you just try it and either like it and use it, or delete it.

D

Lovnmesomestrat likes this.

6. ripgtr

Feb 16, 2012
    austin
    Lovnmesomestrat likes this.

7. ripgtr

Feb 16, 2012
    austin
    True.
    Though I spent way too much time comparing plugins, lol.
    But they are free and fun to play with.
    What compressors are you using? Blockfish is great for a REALLY obvious compressor. I use it quite a bit -
    http://www.digitalfishphones.com/main.php?item=2&subItem=5

8. Teddy Watkins

Teddy Watkins Senior Stratmaster

Sep 25, 2009
    Florida
    Lovnmesomestrat and davidKOS like this.

9. Dadocaster

Yeah, TW, that blog is where I found a lot of what I am trying out now.

ripgtr, I am using one called Roughrider and I have not tried Blockfish. All I know at this point is that I kind of like the color from Roughrider.

D

10. Dadocaster

Some teething pains. I installed an update on Reaper and a bunch of my plugs disappeared. :D

D

11. Dadocaster

Bailed on Reaper again because it dislikes me. Back to collecting plugins. Here is a pic of me capturing a Legendary Plugin:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

alainvey likes this.

12. jaybones

jaybones Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Same thing happened to me, except it was MT Power drum kit. That I'd gotten for free.....

13. fezz parka

fezz parka Off.... Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2011
    Undisclosed.
    I have an amazing collection of plugs. Mostly Waves stuff I paid a pretty penny for. In practical use, maybe ten of them are used in every project. :)

14. Dadocaster

I suspect that is the way this stuff goes.

I will say though, that the plugins with the ultra simple interfaces help me a lot. If I only have four buttons and two knobs, I have to use my ears. Erm, rhetorically speaking. :D

D

15. abnormaltoy

abnormaltoy BushBaby Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 28, 2013
    Tucson

The stuff I just bought comes with some amps, effects, mics and rack stuff...but has a horde of things available as an in app purchase. What things are really the work horses...share with me, if you will.

16. Dadocaster

What did you get and what are you doing? Someone here is bound to have what you got and can chime in.

D

abnormaltoy likes this.

17. fezz parka

fezz parka Off.... Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2011
    Undisclosed.
    Amp sims. I like the one in Logic just fine. The pedalboard does me just fine as well.
    EQ's. The Waves Collection has some great ones based on real boards. I like the API 560.
    Ultramaximizer. You want punch on your final mixes...you got it.
    Vocal and Bass Rider. My secret weapon. I use it all over the place.
    Eddie Kramer Tape. Echo, slap, tape saturation...silly wonderful grooviness.
    Lexicon Room. Sounds like real reverb to me, plus room emulation.
    Soundtoys Decapitator. Rough, dirty, groovy.
    Fairchild 660. You want that sound that poured out of England and United-Western? It's in here.

That's some of them. Other stuff like ADT get used as well, but a little more sparingly.

All of them are on this, with the exception of the Decapitator:

18. abnormaltoy

abnormaltoy BushBaby Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 28, 2013
    Tucson
    Thanks. There are room emulations with mic types and placements including room mics. all kinds of stuff, most appears to be modeled after real things.

fezz parka likes this.

19. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

May 21, 2010
    Sheffield, UK
    I've been using Reaper for years, I've never lost any Plug-Ins when updating.
    Download update file. Close Reaper. Run file. Start Reaper. Carry on as normal.
    All my pokemon plug-in dlls are also stored in a backup directory though, just in case.

MT Power Drum Kit does take a freakin' age to load though. Especially if you have the drums on separate tracks.

20. Dadocaster

I will no longer be insulted by Reaper. Boom. To the cornfield. :D

D

montemerrick and fezz parka like this.