Join Strat-Talk Today

Reaper + MIDI Footswitch

Discussion in 'Home Recording Studio' started by Bowmap, Apr 14, 2019.

1. Bowmap

Bowmap I nose a thang or two. Gold Member

I want to be able to switch playing tracks on demand with a footswitch. Basically turning my DAW into a looper on steroids. Not knowing much about MIDI and the electrical interface I am not sure how to get from MIDI to USB. Behringer makes a nice unit at a good price (USD) but I do not see that is has USB. Pace does have a unit with USB but almost 40% more costly. I am not sure if I would use the expression pedals or not. They do intrigue me some as to how to could be utilized.

My current setup is a Katana 100, I have the footswitch controller for the Katana and the expression pedal. The Kat goes into a FocusRite Scarlet 2i2 which in turn is connect USB to my PC.

Any suggestions on how to get this accomplished is certain most appreciated. I will Thank the brain trust now in advance.

Sincerely,
    -Bowmap

2. Cerb

Cerb Most Honored Senior Member

With something like this?

https://m.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_mp_100_midi_foot_controller.htm?o=2&search=1555283720

I'm not sure you can configure Reaper to do that though... Ableton Live on the other hand is made for that specific purpose.

Bowmap likes this.
  3. Bowmap

I now you can assign a lot of actions according to a vid I watched. But they where using a MIDI keyboard. You are on track device wise. Looks like it is available at the same price point here in the States as the Behringer. I do not know if Reaper can or cannot. But in the end I still would need a MIDI footswitch. I did not know of the Harley Benton unit. Thanks.

Cerb likes this.
  4. JaxStratGuy

JaxStratGuy Strat-Talker Strat-Talk Supporter

If you're not set on a footswitch, I've just started playing with ReaperWRB to setup my iPad to control it. It seems pretty powerful. Basically, you create tabs of icons/displays to control any actions you desire. One example was setting up a playlist to do a live set.

Bowmap likes this.
  5. Bowmap

That does give me some thought. I will have to look at ReaperWRB. To see if it is supported on other O/Ses.

6. Bowmap

I caught the Behringer FCB1010 on sale. So what the heck... I have one inbound.

7. Bowmap

The Behringer arrived yesterday.

fcb1010_p0089_left_l.jpg

It does not have straight to USB so I had to go through an adaptor MIDI-USB from MIO. Could not have been easier. Reaper saw the MIO device and I was able to use right away. Well... one small hiccup, I had the wrong plug plugged into the MIDI Out of the Behringer. The MIDI IN plug (the white one) on the MIO device is plugged into the OUT of the Behringer. Once I got that straight I was able to go into Reaper, tell Reaper to use the Behringer as control only, create a custom action with about a half dozen tasks for what I wanted. Then back into the action list, selected the custom action, clicked the add button for assigning a short cut, step on the footswitch on the Behringer I wanted to assign it to and viola'. Reaper has a long list of actions that can be added to a custom action. And I just noticed that there is a scripting language ReaScript. I may have stumbled upon a very powerful combination. The Behringer has 10 assignable foot switches and 10 banks giving 100 footswitches under my feet. This is going to be handy as I piece together sections of compositions. I have not figured out if Reaper stores these custom actions globally or as part of the project.

I will be having fun for the next few weeks.

simoncroft and Thrup'ny Bit like this.
  8. simoncroft

simoncroft Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

I've just caught up with this thread. Sounds as if you're on the cusp of unleashing some very powerful functions. :thumb:

Bowmap likes this.
  9. Bowmap

Someone posted a vid of Zoe Keating. She used the technique to layer her music in a live performance. It was just mind blowing. I bought her album it was that good to me. So I have wanted to try that out. Now if I could only play as well as Brain H.

EDIT: Make that play as well as the majority of folks here.

simoncroft likes this.
  10. simoncroft

I've read that Wagner used to get together with other great composers, and play the piano at great length, despite the fact that they were often considerably better pianists. This didn't prevent him from creating epic orchestrations though. :)

Bowmap likes this.
  11. Bowmap

I am gonna pull chaos theory on this... to paraphrase it, put a 1000 monkeys in a room with a 1000 typewriters for a 1000 years, one of them is very likely to write war and peace. I'll be 1001st monkey. :)

simoncroft likes this.
  12. simoncroft

What's interesting to me is the monkeys just won't. You could randomly generate letters – which is essentially what we're talking about here – from now to the end of time. It's the punctuation that will let them down.

My belief is that you, on the other hand, will post something on here we can enjoy listening to. :)

Bowmap likes this.
  13. Bowmap

Thank you Simon. I have learned so much over the past months since joining here. I will certainly try one day. I came here a woodworker and I may just wind up being a guitar player too. he he.

simoncroft likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.