Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Recommend me some resistor and capacitor "kits"?

Discussion in 'DIY Effects Forum' started by adiabatic, Sep 29, 2018.

1. adiabatic

adiabatic Senior Stratmaster

Jul 2, 2013
    Western Canada
    Does anyone have a recommendation for good value in kits to accumulate a decent number of essential parts at once. I'm getting back into hobby electronics and want to start breadboarding pedal circuits. Looking for the best value on something like this to stock up on parts:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006XGK05A/?tag=strattalk05-20

Alternatively, what would be great is a pedal builder's starter kit with a selection of resistors, caps, transistors, pots, etc.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2018

2. DIYrocker

DIYrocker Senior Stratmaster

Dec 16, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    adiabatic likes this.

3. jball85

jball85 Strat-Talker

Mar 16, 2014
    East Texas
    By best advice would be to start by accumulating values needed for tubescreamer builds and go from there.

4. Greg

Greg Strat-Talker

Apr 25, 2017
    Atlanta area
    Go to radio and vintage TV swap meets and just buy up old parts that have tested good.

5. CountryGent

CountryGent Strat-Talk Member

Aug 20, 2014
    Gloucester, UK
    nice! - I've done electronics since the 1970s, those kits look perfect! I sometimes buy packs as Greg mentions and there's small online shops selling what are company closure or surplus inventory sell off, although they usually yield unusual component values.

Those kits mentioned above are good because they offer the standard "preferred" values, always a good starting pont, then I suggest know the basic calculations for Rs and Cs as sometimes I need a value of capacitor that I can't find in my parts bin so make the value up. This usually happens in filter circuits where the precise value tends to matter.