Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Recommendations on rewind?

Discussion in 'Pickup Forum' started by Strat Jacket, May 15, 2018.

1. Strat Jacket

Strat Jacket Strat-Talker

May 11, 2018
    Illinois
    Hey, guys...I have this original grey bottom bobbin from my '65 Strat that came with the guitar stripped of the windings. I can only assume the previous owner intended to rewind it. I replaced it with a DiMarzio Fat Strat but and thinking of having it rewound to original '65 specs. I have heard these were wound with #42 wire. Anyone have a preferred rewinder for vintage pickups they can recommend and any suggestions as to AWG, enamel color, original impedance (this is the bridge pickup) or any other suggestions I should be aware of?
    Thanks!

[​IMG]

2. Seymour Duncan

Seymour Duncan Senior Stratmaster

I'd go right to MJ with that...

3. ChukkerNation

ChukkerNation Strat-O-Master

Apr 9, 2015
    Magrathea
    Ken of Rose pickups helped me out with a rewind a while back. He did a great job.

Strat Jacket likes this.

4. Strat Jacket

May 11, 2018
    Illinois
    And how would one go about doing that?

5. Silvercrow

Silvercrow Senior Stratmaster

Nov 6, 2014
    Bucks County, Pa.
    LOTS of options. MJ^^^ a wizard when it comes to winding. Lindy Fralin...my personal favorite. Jason Lollar (If you like Jimmy Herring's tones- he uses Lollar exclusively, AFAIK). LOL- probably a dozen or so more...LOL

I believe any of these three will know the specs you are referencing.

Best wishes and please let us know what you decide!

Brian

Strat Jacket and rolandson like this.

6. Silvercrow

Silvercrow Senior Stratmaster

Nov 6, 2014
    Bucks County, Pa.
    In the Seymour Duncan post, hover over then click the "MJ" you'll go right to the SD Custom Shop....

Strat Jacket likes this.

7. rolandson

rolandson Senior Stratmaster

Lindy.
    Fralin did a rewind on one out of my 64 that is impossible to distinguish from originals. If I hadn't been told, neither I or the appraiser specializing in vintage musical instruments, specifically guitars, would have picked it out.

Strat Jacket likes this.

8. Strat Jacket

May 11, 2018
    Illinois
    I am after the tonal quality of Rory Gallagher's Strat without straying too far from original.

9. mabley123

mabley123 Senior Stratmaster

Oct 21, 2010
    kentucky
    Go with Lindy Fralin for Vintage Rewinds.

10. Seymour Duncan

Seymour Duncan Senior Stratmaster

You can call and talk to MJ directly, or send a message to her here. There are very few people in the world who have had their hands on more vintage pickups.

BlueCajun likes this.

11. Tone Guru

Tone Guru Senior Stratmaster

Dec 13, 2011
    Music City TN
    Duncan has published a listing of averaged pickup measurements for various years of Stratocasters.
    I also made a practice of taking resistance measurements of guitars I had in for service.
    I'd say that the readings varied over a range with ~6300 being the highest I saw for 1964-65 grey bottoms.

So if you want the hottest of the era-correct windings - that would be a reasonable value to shoot for on the bridge.
    (probably about 7,800-8,000 turns)

Strat Jacket likes this.

12. Strat Jacket

May 11, 2018
    Illinois
    IIRC, my Fat Strat ohmed out around 7500-7600 ohms. It's noticeably louder and means a lot of monkey motion with the volume control when switching between pickups.