Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Recone?

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by thomquietwolf, Jul 12, 2016.

1. fezz parka

fezz parka Off.... Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2011
    Undisclosed.
    With an old amp, original speaker means something. People want to see that frame. Reconing gives you new voice coil, spider, cone, dust cap,and gasket. Doping is optional. It needs to break in just like a new speaker.

The-Kid and rolandson like this.

2. Stormy Monday

Stormy Monday At the Crossroads, now which way do I go Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 19, 2011
    red barn, USA
    makes sense.

gracias

3. The-Kid

The-Kid Most Honored Senior Member

Feb 15, 2014
    SO CAL USA
    Id recone if I could get it back to original manufactureres paper cone...

Otherwise buy a new one.

4. rolandson

rolandson Senior Stratmaster

But it sounded so nice for the fifteen seconds it was plugged into a 2-10 cab...well, using the ext. port...so parallel would make it...12...
    Bad huh? S***.

Oh...it's a Jensen C12Q

No such thing Stormy...as a dumb question.

It's all about trying to preserve the originality of a vintage amp. Absent that...I got nothing...I simply don't know. The originality is history. Next best is "stock" I suppose, but the Oxford wasn't a really great speaker to begin with.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2018

5. The-Kid

Feb 15, 2014
    SO CAL USA
    OP explaines in the begenning

There is a tare in the cone.

Typically you recone if there is a tare or performace of cone has gone down due to natural use overtime.

Main reasons to recone.

6. fezz parka

Apr 21, 2011
    Undisclosed.
    Well, people like to say that the old Schumacher OTs could handle 100% mismatch. I say fine if your running a four ohm load when the OT wants to see 8. It'd be harder on the power tubes and shorten their life, but they're easily replaced. Run a 16 ohm load on the same OT and its hard on the transformer. Flyback could kill it. Not so easily replaced.

Its an old amp. Run it the way it's meant to run. :)

Now, if you want to turn it into a little Vibrolux Reverb, put in the 2X10 baffle. Use two 8 ohm speakers for a 4 ohm load. Get some Tung Sol 5881's and re-bias. With the 5881's, the OT will want to see a 4 ohm load.

The Oxford is a better speaker. C12Q's are the worst speaker Jensen made, even BITD. If it was an N that'd be a winner.

rolandson likes this.

7. rolandson

fezz parka likes this.

8. fezz parka

Apr 21, 2011
    Undisclosed.
    The-Kid likes this.

9. The-Kid

Feb 15, 2014
    SO CAL USA
    Try to find a local for a recone. Many citys have speaker.recone places.

Speakers havent changed much in decades.....pretty simple tech.

10. rolandson

The obvious next question...
    Kit or outsourcing?

I've never done it. I'm a competent 'surgeon' of sorts, proficient with my hands and able to follow instructions, and...I've never done it. I would not want to muck it up.

If outsourcing is the optimum, is there any sort of consensus as to who? Is this the highly skilled procedure that extensive experience is a key element, or is it the kind of procedure that once experience is acquired it's a pretty cut and dried step by step in office thing.

For instance, I am perfectly capable of replacing the wiring harness of an ES 175, having done it a number of times, but I am not the guy you'd want to replace one of your knees. I could get the old one out okay, and I'm pretty sure I could make the new one fit...
    But you'd not live long enough to discover that it didn't work for ****.

11. fezz parka

Apr 21, 2011
    Undisclosed.
    If you're willing, its possible to fix the voice coil rub. From Ted Weber:

The noise is definitely a rub, either from, as you suggested, a warped (from overheating) voice coil, or flakes of paper or other material stuck in the gap between the voice coil and pole or front plate hole. There is a way to correct that if it isn't too severe. I'll detail it here, then you can make the decision whether to try it or not. The result is that you correct the problem without reconing the speaker, thus preserving the value of the original speaker.
    First, since you will be performing this operation without demagnetizing the magnet, make sure your work area is very clean and you have plenty of light. Lay the speaker on its back with the cone facing up and with a scalpel, carefully cut out the dustcap, leaving about 1/16" of dustcap where it is glued to the cone. This is important because the voice coil wires pass through this point and you want to make sure you don't cut them. Next, use a vacuum cleaner or clean, dry pressurized air to suck or blow the dust and other debris out of the gap. If you hold the speaker upside down with the cone facing downward it will probably help getting the dust and debris out. Next, take a 3x5 index card and cut it into a strip that is the correct length so that you can form it into a circle and stick it down into the gap between the inside of the voice coil and the outside of the pole. This will help form the voice coil back into a circle. Next, lay the speaker back down on its back. Take a Q-tip or small paint brush and dip it into a bottle of acetone (finger nail polish remover). Spread a small amount of this acetone on a couple of the rings of the spider, which is the brownish/yellow corrugated disk attached to the backside of the cone at the base of the basket. Next, place a jar lid or other disk on the cone where the dustcap was and let the speaker set overnight. The lid or disk will prevent dust from getting into the gap overnight, and the acetone causes the spider to relax and reposition slightly, thus repositioning the voice coil. The next day, remove the lid and the index card strip and see if you still have a rub. If you do, try the acetone again, same procedure. If, after a couple of tries, it seems hopeless, then professional reconing is the only resolve. I think it's worth trying though, to preserve the value of the original speaker. If it works, contact me with the size of the dustcap and I'll send you one to replace the one you cut out and instructions on how to replace it.

rolandson likes this.

12. rolandson

Well this completely sucks.
    What was to be a N(used)SD turns out to be a ... bit disappointing.

Went out and found a period correct replacement (on Reverb), made an offer and bought a 1966 Jensen C12N in "Excellent Condition". This is what arrived this afternoon.
    Speaker-A.jpg

The from the looks of things, the tear is old...quite old.
    This is the Reverb listing.
    https://reverb.com/item/10280283-je...pulled-from-1966-blackface-fender-twin-reverb

13. johnnymg

johnnymg Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 5, 2015
    Central Coast Ca
    Hmmmmm................... I don't see no tear in the Reverb pic. Me thinks you can get a refund if you so desire. Looking at the pic again I can see the faint outline of the beginning of the tear. :(

Screen Shot 2018-03-08 at 5.51.47 PM.png

14. rolandson

Yeah, knowing what to look for, one can see faint shapes that match the tear...of course the listing photo is lacking just enough sharpness so as to obscure what was quite obvious upon arrival. Which begs the question...
    Why would the seller use the words "Excellent Condition" when the buyer would clearly see that such was not the case upon arrival? I don't get it.

15. rolandson

For what it's worth, the seller isn't putting up any issues regarding refund and return. Sucks that I've passed on several others in the ensuing week that would have been excellent replacements. Perhaps it's an omen...that @fezz parka 's suggestion of a Swamp Thang is a more economical and sound direction...

pun intended.

16. fezz parka

Apr 21, 2011
    Undisclosed.
    That tear is easy to repair. Have him refund some money, and fix it. A little yellow glue and newsprint will do it.

montemerrick likes this.

17. rolandson

I thought about it.
    The tear goes up to the frame in two places. I can't get any idea about the rest of it...coil rub, magnet and pole, sound...none of it. I gave it a lot of thought and in the end it works out to being top dollar for a less than top dollar speaker, even with a hefty refund.

The real effed up part is this guy had another C12N that was cosmetically perfect but sporting a damaged / repaired cone priced less...! And I bought into the "excellent condition" line. Anyway, it's back on the truck for its second cross country ride in a week. There'll be others.

This cost this fellow $50 in shipping charges. Can't figure why he thought I wouldn't notice? So goes my faith in humans.

18. fezz parka

Apr 21, 2011
    Undisclosed.
    Ditto . Put the Oxford in a box and get a Swamp Thang .

rolandson likes this.