Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Recording GOOD audio and video simultaneously... for dummies

Discussion in 'Home Recording Studio' started by Vindibona1, Sep 23, 2018.

1. Vindibona1

Vindibona1 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

From time to time I want to make demonstration recordings of audio and video. While I have decent components for each area; a Canon 5D Mark III camera and a couple mid-line AKG condenser mics and a M-Audio interface, I would love to get everything on one take without having to separately combine audio and video, syncing everything in post production. I only have free software and very little skill with it.

I know I could invest in a Rode mic or something similar, but I'd have to spend some $$ to get mics as good as the ones I already have for audio recording.

So, how can I best utilize the mics I have (with or without USB interface), the camera I have and make short wham-bam-thank-you-mam recordings with little muss or fuss? I know the video will come out well, but I want the audio to be representative of what it sounds like in person. BTW... I also have an older iPad and iPhone.

TIA

2. Omar

Omar Most Inquisitive Junior Jazzer Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 9, 2017
    Marbella, Spain
    I’m not sure whether there’s an app where you can record video/audio simultaneously. I once tried shooting a video with my camera directly connected to the laptop but I got only video without audio. I also used a special app for canon DSLR cameras. Simultaneously, I was recording my audio. So I had to syncronize both using a different app. There are plenty of free v/a softwares.

https://alternativeto.net/software/cyberlink-powerdirector/

Maybe @TheDuck and/or @Brian H can help you as they usually post stunning videos of them playing.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
  3. rolandson

rolandson Most Honored Senior Member

I've been putzing with some of the challenges but I've never figured out how to make a video with anything approaching audio competency...

guys, it took me a forever to figure out how to compress a file for sound cloud. I have no idea how to upload a video.

Is there a tutorial somewhere that will walk an idiot through simply ... yeah, what @Vindibona1 said?

JustABluesGuy and abnormaltoy like this.
  4. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

May 21, 2010
    Sheffield, UK
    @simoncroft would probably be the best at explaining how these things can be done.

abnormaltoy, Lovnmesomestrat and Omar like this.
  5. ProSonicLive

ProSonicLive Senior Stratmaster

Sep 4, 2016
    Texas
    If you want to plug into ONCE device and go, what you have is not really optimal for that. You would need to get a compatible mic for the camera. such as https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LS9J994/?tag=strattalk05-20

However this is a $300 mic. The best solution, which I don't think you are looking for from the sound of your post, is mixing something like a ZOOM and the video together in a software like movie maker 10. then just sync the audio.

If you do not need your rig to be portable, You can use Your camera with a video sync cable to your PC. This way you can use your M-audio interface to plug in your Mics however you want. Then, pick what audio source you want to record from in the software (your M-audio interface) and then follow canons PDF directions for setting up your camera to record direct to the PC.

abnormaltoy and Thrup'ny Bit like this.
  6. Omar

Omar Most Inquisitive Junior Jazzer Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 9, 2017
    Marbella, Spain
    That’s true. I totally forgot about Simon.

abnormaltoy, duzie and Thrup'ny Bit like this.
  7. Robins

Robins Dr. von Loudster Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 22, 2010
    Germany
    The Canon 5D Mark III has one of the best audio recording devices on board already(for being a DSLR).
    Just get a proper adaptor for your microphones (AKG midline mics are more than good enough for that IMO).
    Recording stereo with 48k is no prob for that Canon and you can level the input and control the output(and input from the mic) with a headphone right on the camera while recording.
    Try that first - that would be the easiest way for making awesome videos in a hurry and without having all the work to do later.
    You still have to work on the video later as you know - editing and cutting scenes etc.
    A small 2xmono mic into 3.5mm stereo adaptor (better a cable adapter solution) should do the trick for a first test.
    Of course and as you know the Canon can´t provide any phantom power.
    You would have to use batteries for the mics (you did not mentioned the AKG models you have).

All the best,
    Robin

8. Jimi Lightning

Jimi Lightning Senior Stratmaster

Dec 21, 2016
    Ontario, Canada
    As suggested earlier when I had asked VSCD works for editing video and adding sound. You of course have to sync it.
    I Had tried Power director and it must didnt work for me. I was astounded there is not a one stop program for video and audio at the same time. It all seems to come down to having to combine and sync.

A dummies guide per say as a sticky would be awesome as this is. Ot the forst time this came up and I myself am still chasing this dragon....

Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
    abnormaltoy likes this.
  9. evangilder

evangilder Strat-Talker

Sep 18, 2018
    Ventura, California
    OldGuy6873 likes this.
  10. TheDuck

TheDuck Most Honored Senior Member

Jan 12, 2016
    Lil' Rhody
    Thanks for the vote of confidence @Omar, but they way I do audio / video is the exactly how
    @Vindibona1 doesnt want to do it.

By that I mean, audio and video recorded simultaneously but separate, audio mixed and mastered then synced to the video in the final stages.

11. StratPlus97

StratPlus97 Senior Stratmaster

Apr 7, 2016
    USA
  12. Vindibona1

Looks like good software, but really what I want is to eliminate the editing.

I don't want an on-camera mic, especially a $300 one. I don't shoot much video (actually any beyond my demonstration stuff). Only stills, but maybe one day. I want to be able to get the best quality audio with what I have. I have an AKG P420 large condenser mic as well as a AKG P170. Not Neumanns, but not bottom of the barrel mics either.

There are lots of *almost* options, but I'm not well versed on the various adapters available. It occurred to me that I could get a IK iRig Pre for the phantom power I need for one mic and go into an iPhone or iPad. But if I wanted to go into my camera I think I would need an adapter to go from a TRRS male to a TRS female which I could then plug a standard 3.5mm stereo cord into the female end as well as the camera and adjust the signal volume from there. What TRRS→TRS adapters are available? But I was also hoping to not spend any more money on additional stuff. Would it be possible to use the interface into the computer for the phantom power and use the headphone jack on the interface into the camera? What would that do to the quality of sound? Lastly, I suppose I could figure out a way to just go into a laptop with sound via the interface and record directly. How would one set that up on a PC and which software would one use?

Thanks for the ideas.

13. sam_in_cali

sam_in_cali Scream for me Strat-Talk! Strat-Talk Supporter

Feb 21, 2014
    Santa Maria, CA
    I've had decent results just using my computer as a all-in-one recording studio of sorts (using quicktime to record both the video and audio simultaneously--essentially by mic'ing the computer speakers and doing everything in one take) but have always had "better" results by recording the audio (direct) and video files separately then editing them together. That's how Mouse and I did all of our cover videos and they turned out really good.

BallisticSquid and TheDuck like this.
  14. Vindibona1

I've got some experimenting to do. I'll be home alone in an hour or two and may try some things.

The reason the audio is important (if not critical) is because I've been doing some acoustic guitar testing of strings, bridge pins, saddles, etc and just need the instruments as a visual reference to what I'm playing in a given moment. The video is less important from a quality standpoint. The only editing software I have is Movie Maker, but have no idea how to manipulate the timeline on the audio portion. I think I also have something labeled VLC Media Player, but again, no idea how it works. The last piece of difficult software that I learned really well was Photoshop. I have a basic handle on Audacity and Reaper, but don't have the patience to really play with any of it any more. I'd rather be practicing.

15. Robins

Robins Dr. von Loudster Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 22, 2010
    Germany
    Yes, I would try that first - USB interface into computer and headphone jack into camera. Sure you would have to lower the input on the camera a lot. But you have a strong signal already, which is a good thing because the camera adds a lot of hiss and noise to a weak signal.

All the best,
    Robin

16. abnormaltoy

abnormaltoy BushBaby Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 28, 2013
    Tucson

There is a Zoom model with two xlr inputs as well.

What I hope to do, once some other things have been dealt with, is to take a few courses at the local community college...I'd like to find and easy way to record audio and video, but, not all of it needs to be high quality...I'd like to record, just for reference, noodle sessions.

17. simoncroft

simoncroft Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

May 30, 2013
    SE England

Hello chaps. The main limitation with using the audio on the camcorder is it's usually fitted with some sort of limiter or Automatic Level control, rather than levels you can set manually. This is perfect for cousin Ruby's wedding, that trip to the beach and other times you want point-and-shoot performance, because the audio is almost impossible to overload under those conditions.

Once you get anywhere near a rock band, the story changes, because the drums tend to trigger the limiter, which in turn sends the level of everything else up and down. This called 'pumping' and is often used creatively in dance music genres.

Also, the best place for the video camera is seldom the best place for the audio recorder... unless you specifically want any distortion from the Front-of-House system, noise from chatting members of the audience, and a lot of 'back of hall' room ambience to play a dominant role in your sound! A similar logic applies to recording an acoustic instrument in a room, but you can add traffic noise etc to your woes.

It's better if you can record the audio separately to the video and combine the two in a video editor. I'm currently using a Zoom H6 for audio. This has a choice of built-in stereo mics, plus for XLR inputs for a 6-track recording. In addition it makes a 'safety' copy of the main stereo pair at -10dB, so it the levels get too hot on stage, you've always got a back-up that hasn't shot into overload.

The upside of this arrangement is I can mix the audio using, typically, a) main stereo pair out front, b) stereo feed from the mixing desk and c) a further pair of mics to help give me a little more control over 'back-line' amps and drums. Often I sync these up in my DAW with the audio from the camcorder, which is useful for bring applause and general room ambience into the mix. Otherwise, a successful live gig can sound as if the band actually died 1,000 deaths, because the close mics on the H6, and the mixer feed pick up almost no audience at all.

Obviously if you have an 8-track or 16-track recorder, you can capture an even better recording for later mixing. As @Robins says, it can be done with a DAW on a laptop.

That's how the Euroguestock IV videos were done. https://www.strat-talk.com/threads/euroguestock-–-making-band-videos-that-look-and-sound-good.477111/

What are the downsides?

Expense – you'll need a camcorder, an audio recorder, some decent mics, a DAW to mix in and a video editor to bring it all together.
    Time – It's quite a fiddly set-up on site, and it takes a long time to be your own mix engineer and video editor.
    Complexity – It's not really 'For Dummies'! Just learning how to accurately sync the audio and video is a bit of a curve.​

You can simplify the set-up somewhat by using a stereo recorder instead of multitrack, then bring that sound file into the video editing system, where you can do a basic sound balance between the camcorder sound (if wanted) and the sound file.

Simpler than that is finding the best sounding camcorder you can and going back to point-and-shoot. I haven't tried the Zoom Q2N @abnormaltoy mentions, but I should imagine the audio quality is good. If you're really only interested in recording acoustic guitar with a visual reference as to what you were playing, that might be the best way to go. But it sounds as if you've got enough gear to get some decent results without spending a shed load of money.

As a recent convert to the iPad, I'm no expert on what's available, but I was astonished by the sheer variety. If you Google the specific in/out combination you're looking for, I'm you'll find the bits you need cheaply and easily.

Unfortunately, there's no way round the fact that video editing systems can be a bewildering and frustrating environment. What I can tell you is, the longer you work with them, the faster you'll get and the less you'll resent doing it!

Hope some of this is helpful!

18. Brian H

Brian H Senior Stratmaster

Feb 7, 2016
    Delaware
    T0 make syncing easier I just click on the guitar 4 times as I'm recording video and audio...then sync with those clicks rather than trying to sync with the music.

19. sam_in_cali

sam_in_cali Scream for me Strat-Talk! Strat-Talk Supporter

Feb 21, 2014
    Santa Maria, CA
    That's actually brilliant...will make a note of that for my next recording session :thumb:

simoncroft likes this.
  20. Vindibona1

I get how to create a "clap-board" with clicking or tapping or whatever. If I were to record separately I could do that with a DAW, either Audacity or Reaper. What I am having problems with is MOVING THE AUDIO track to sync with the video. I don't know how to get audio imported properly or move it. Right now all I have is Movie Maker on Win 7 machine.

The other device I could guy is a IK iRig Pre, a little preamp between $35 and $40 that would provide phantom power and a TRRS connection into an iPad or phone. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007534LFK/?tag=strattalk05-20 I imagine I could also use it with my DLSR if I knew what to buy to convert the TRRS that iPads use to a TRS, standard stereo mini plug. Any ideas which adapters would work for that?

Other thoughts?