Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

recording guitars in PC

Discussion in 'Home Recording Studio' started by cappei, Jun 25, 2018.

1. cappei

cappei Strat-O-Master

Jun 24, 2017
    Quillota, Valparaíso, Chile
    Hello lads!

Im tryin' to make some demos for a project, the problem is that Im currently using my phone voice recorder for recording, then mixing in Adobe, wich as you may think, sounds like crap.

I've been lookin for a multiefect pedal that I can plug via USB to my pc so I can record my guitar lines (and bass guitar) to mix them and get a good result.

Hopefully, I would like to hear some drum bots programs to make good drum tracks if you know any too

I've been watching the Xpod and the Zoom G3, but IDK if there are other good (affordable) multiefects out there to do the same.

It will be cool If I could use the pedal as a FX in a live situation as well.

Hope you can help

2. thomquietwolf

thomquietwolf Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 2, 2010
    Peardale CA
    Should be an interesting thread to follow...

cappei likes this.
  3. cappei

cappei Strat-O-Master

Jun 24, 2017
    hope so, didn't know if I shoul've posted it under pedal section or home recording

4. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

May 21, 2010
    Sheffield, UK
    I know nothing of pedals but there are plenty of reaonably priced amps that will do the job.

cappei likes this.
  5. BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid Senior Stratmaster

Oct 12, 2016
    US
    I have the Zoom G5 and I like it. It likely comes with the same effects as the G3, just has more buttons and stuff.

My G5 is certainly gig-able...I would have gigged it but it has some usability things I couldn't deal with because of how I use it. As far as sound quality and connections...it is great.

I use an app on my phone for drum beats...Drum Beats+. It has a bunch of different beat patterns and you can fine tune the tempo. I used a drum pattern in it for an instrumental I wrote. I also used the Zoom G5 to record the guitar parts.

I also have a Boss GT-100...that I use to gig. It has more flexibility in how you can configure the footswitches which I prefer.

With Boss and Line 6 having released new flagship MFX boards, the old ones should be coming down in price...like the GT-100 or the HDX-500X.

Used Zoom G5's can be found for pretty cheap.

Not sure what your budget is, but those are the ones I've had personal experience with.

TheDuck and cappei like this.
  6. cappei

cappei Strat-O-Master

Jun 24, 2017

So I was wondering ... for purposes of recording, would it be better a USB audio interface or a multiefect pedal?

I was lookin at the Blackstar ID Core 40 Stereo, wich works as an interface, is it worth it? Considering it can only record guitar? or for purposes of recording all kind of stuff better get a sound interface

7. BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid Senior Stratmaster

Oct 12, 2016
    US
    If you just get an audio interface, you'll have to run software (Amplitube, Revalver, etc.) to simulate amps and effects. Taking that setup gigging is more difficult.

My setup is I have my MFX unit plugged into an input on my sound interface, but I could just plug the MFX unit into my PC's USB port if I wanted to. Problem there is that the MFX unit will now be your audio interface, and Windows does not like to record on one interface and playback on another...so only using an MFX unit you would need to connect your monitors or headphones to the MFX unit to play back.

cappei likes this.
  8. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 28, 2011
    Pawnee, Indiana
    if you're gonna pay real money, I recommend this

Focusrite Scarlett 2i2. And Reaper software.

Multifx pedal into that, or mic your amp.

EZDrummer 2 is the best money you will ever spend on canned drums. It doesn't get any more realistic. I've tried to mic drums many times in the past, and never has it once sounded as good as EZD2's samples.

If you don't get a great, studio quality sound from this setup, it's your fault!:D

This setup changed my life.. couple hundred bucks total.

9. Twelve8

Twelve8 Strat-O-Master

Dec 5, 2015
    Sheffield, UK
    Pretty much agree with @nicksmith on this one but I'm a massive home studio nerd so that isn't in the least bit surprising.

A couple of things to consider before you go down that route. What spec computer/laptop do you have and is it Windows/Linux/Mac?

If you're computer isn't up to spec, this journey gets expensive quickly :)

duzie likes this.
  10. Silverstrat69

Silverstrat69 Strat-Talker

Jun 11, 2018
    USA
    ^What he said. Basically for recording at home get a decent usb interface like scarlet 2i2, then use amp plugins in your PC to get the sounds you want and some kind of software to record. I use Pro Tools which may be too expensive, Reaper is free still I believe. Then you can record direct into your pc and adjust tones as you go, or if you decide to use a real amp you will only need to buy a microphone (I would recommend shure sm57) and plug into the usb interface and press record.

nickmsmith likes this.
  11. TheDuck

TheDuck Most Honored Senior Member

Jan 12, 2016
    Lil' Rhody
    @cappei
    There are a few MFX units that can get the job done, and you dont need an interface to use them.

For what you're looking to do, the best bang for the buck for both home and gig use might be a Fender Mustang amp.

They can record direct via their USB output, (no interface needed) and can be used live as well.

I would recommend the Mustang III version 2. It has XLR outputs for connecting direct to a PA, a Celestion speaker, effects loop, USB and more.

It has plenty of power for jamming or gigging (unless your drummer is a maniac) and works well at low volumes in the house as well.

Plus, they are pretty cheap these days.

BallisticSquid and cappei like this.
  12. Chasy

Chasy Strat-Talker Strat-Talk Supporter

Jun 7, 2018
    Danbury CT
    If your getting a 2i2, make sure it is the latest version. My guitar center still has both I noticed and I agree, probably the best for under 2k, unless you need more channels. I like mine, cheap pots and all. It's kind of dead sounding and not in a horrible way, the last thing you want is a sound in your interface you cannot dial out. They give you a boatload of crippled software with it. I'm using the Native Instruments stuff for guitar. It keeps nagging every 30 minutes till you pony up.

13. StratPlus97

StratPlus97 Senior Stratmaster

Apr 7, 2016
    USA
    I have Drum Beats + on my phone as well. I haven’t messsd with it too much. Can you program it to play parts of a song like verse and chorus or is it one beat straight through?

BallisticSquid and cappei like this.
  14. nickmsmith

Jul 28, 2011
    Pawnee, Indiana
    Yeah I didn’t use any of the software that came with it. Reaper was plenty for me for guitar/bass/vocals

cappei likes this.
  15. BlurgyWurgyWibble

BlurgyWurgyWibble Strat-Talker

Feb 10, 2018
    Japan
    The Focusrite 6i6 (2nd Gen) is a LOT more for not a lot more investment too (£40 more than the 2i4).
    That's what I use ..
    Better buffering, lower latency, more inputs etc.
    I use a Sure SM57 for close mic on the amp and a set of Audio-Technica ATH-M50X for monitoring.
    I have experimented with close and room mic's in tandem to good effect too.
    As others have pointed out for about £400 you can have near studio quality recording.
    I choose to use an AC30 and record that but you can just as easily use a Kemper or one of the gazillion PC digital amp simulators.

So my recommended shopping list would be:

1. Shure SM57 bundle inc. Mic Boom and 6m XLR cable (£99)
    2. Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 (2nd Gen) (£175)
    3. Audio-Technica ATH-M50X (£115)

~ £400 total

You can do it much cheaper than this if all you want is a DAW to muck about with. A lot of artists actually only record digital direct now. Depressingly!

nickmsmith likes this.
  16. nickmsmith

Jul 28, 2011
    Pawnee, Indiana

This is just a nylon string in front of a 50 dollar sterling audio condenser mic, run into Scarlett then to computer. I love the sound results.

BlurgyWurgyWibble likes this.
  17. cappei

cappei Strat-O-Master

Jun 24, 2017
    what about a Line 6 Toneport UX2 or a POD Studio UX2 instead of the 2i2? I've read a lot and they say it's good, would be nice to record voice and bass as well

18. cappei

cappei Strat-O-Master

Jun 24, 2017

Im craving for a Mustang, I love fender sound and I last year I fell in love with strats, would love to have one of those

TheDuck likes this.
  19. cappei

cappei Strat-O-Master

Jun 24, 2017
    @TheDuck what's the diference between all mustangs I, II and III? and their V's?

20. nickmsmith

Jul 28, 2011
    Pawnee, Indiana
    Different speaker size and wattage mostly. V is an amp head.

Mustang 3 has a display for easier sound editing too.